Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

babaracus88

Jan 13, 2016
can you explain how and why the flyers are adding to the deal? Simmonds has out scored Nino over the past 5 years and brings more to the game

while Simmonds is a year away from UFA--flyers are not adding to move him

and for some perspective on nino's contract

Milan Lucic who some say has the worst contract in the NHL?

Last 3 seasons Lucic got 139 pts vs Nino's 132--Lucic just makes .750k more than Nino

up until this year nino was the kind of player who could chip in offensively and is supposed to be a really good checker and if you look at his stats he has gotten better each year until it looks like he got injured this year and his stats dropped a bit. He looks like he can put up similar numbers to simmonds he's five years younger he is way better defensively than simmonds. doesn't seem that hard to see that nino is coming into his prime and simmonds is at the end. if they were both the same age then straight across would be close but due to the fact that simmonds is leaving his prime ...hence the 2nd or 3rd philly adds. I am a flyers fan and would nothing more than to trade simmonds straight across for mcdavid but i am a realistic hockey fan who can look at my player and someone elses and judge their worth by what they will do not because i am a fan of what they did do for my favourite team.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
kane got condition 1st, o'regan and a 2020 4th pick as a pending UFA
so if we follow something similar

To EDM: Simmonds
To PHI: 2019 1st Pick, one Prospect.. (Benson/Stafin,Gambardella,Jones/bear), 2020 4th Pick.
maybe you'd like to take Lucic off our hands too with all that cap space? :naughty:
How exactly is the Kane deal a comparable here? Kane was dealt at the trade deadline, Simmonds is being shopped in the offseason. If your going to follow something similar it’s the Lucic to LA deal. Hopefully Hextall can get that one team to bite and get a nice return, some might call it an overpayment, others, fair value. Keep in mind Philly doesn’t have to trade Simmonds, if the offers suck just keep him.

Reactions: TheKingPin

sailorjerry97

Jan 5, 2018
How exactly is the Kane deal a comparable here? Kane was dealt at the trade deadline, Simmonds is being shopped in the offseason. If your going to follow something similar it’s the Lucic to LA deal. Hopefully Hextall can get that one team to bite and get a nice return, some might call it an overpayment, others, fair value. Keep in mind Philly doesn’t have to trade Simmonds, if the offers suck just keep him.

just saying probably the assets he is gonna get. kane got a conditional 1st because he was a UFA, so in this case a 1st round pick seems fair. you dont have to trade him but it doesnt seem like you guys will be keeping him anyways .

if you follow the lucic trade template it would be something along the lines of

Matt Benning, 2019 1st pick and again one of Benson/Bear/Jones

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Only if we're giving them their first back and adding Frost.

Simmonds doesnt have the value to be a centerpiece for a top 4 (realistically, likely top pair, just stuck behind Pie) RHD that young and locked up so long.

That wouldn't work either. Realistically we don't have a need for prospects esp forward prospects at the moment unless we want to just be in a perpetual cycle of mediocrity which honestly wouldn't shock me.

Regardless, Simmonds wouldn't be involved in a Parayko deal. I think the only realistic option would be Couterier or Patrick as the target in a Parayko deal. Simmonds though I wouldn't doubt would more than likely be a target for St Louis post Tavares re-signing with NYI and us finding a capable 2C so we don't have to pressure Thomas into that role. I highly highly doubt though that a core piece would be the offer. More than likely as discussed the WPG 1st with a prospect added

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Take away his PP points each year and Simmonds is a role player who isn't worth all that much. Granted, most of the top offensive players have a lot of PP points. However, his stats are particular heavy on the PP side. On another team I could seem him at this point of his career easily dropping down to a 15 G, 35 point player. He also has a big contract. 2nd and a good role player prospect is all I would offer.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It wouldnt be that much more for him to go to NJ/PIT then it would be out West. Itd be more but the days if in division trading being rare are over - nowadays if the deal makes sense you do it.

Idk what itd take to get him - considering he doesnt have a contract after next year its concerning

I personally think nowadays with the current playoff format it's gotta make it harder.

Though, it would be interesting to look at how many inter-division trades have happened since the format switch.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don't think so. This is me reading between the lines, but Russo seems a little frustrated with his lack of access to Fenton thus far. While I'm sure he's still got little birdies in and around the Wild front office, he doesn't seem to have a good line on what the Wild are up to.

This seems more like something he picked up while talking to GMs/sources around the league. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, because trading for Simmonds would be almost as bad as trading for Pacioretty. We don't need to give up prime assets for a guy that's going to want to get paid a year from now, when he's 30.
Agreed. We need to get younger. As to what you were saying about Russo, he is definitely frustrated with Fenton. When he put together his trade target list, his sources were mainly other team GMs and high level intel guys, so I’d consider it pretty reputable.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Take away his PP points each year and Simmonds is a role player who isn't worth all that much. Granted, most of the top offensive players have a lot of PP points. However, his stats are particular heavy on the PP side. On another team I could seem him at this point of his career easily dropping down to a 15 G, 35 point player. He also has a big contract. 2nd and a good role player prospect is all I would offer.
Why would he drop down in points? Drop like Schenn did? Any acquiring team will have him on their PP and he will produce.

Big contract? He makes less than 4 million. He has been on one of the best contracts the last 5 years. Not to mention, the Flyers could retain 50% to max his value. 2 million for a guy capable of 50-60 points!

Your offer is awful.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
What??? 3.975 mil. Between 24 and 32 goals each year of this team-friendly deal.

Reactions: pmwlker

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Wayne Simmonds is being severely underrated in this thread. Most players would have taken the easy way out and just sat on the shelf last year with the injuries Simmonds faced - instead, he played through them like a warrior, and is being vilified by fans for his performance.

The good news is, the NHL isn't run by a bunch of fans who look up fancy stats on websites and claim they know everything about the game. Wayne Simmonds has a ton of value around the league and he will reward any team that trades for him and signs him.

I love how some people claim Simmonds is slow, broken down, has seen the game pass him by, etc., yet they've never even played the game and have no idea why a player like Simmonds is extremely valuable.

The league, and most importantly Simmonds' teammates, know what Simmonds played through last year. He's a beast. I think his quote at the end of the year was, "Unless I'm deathly ill, I'll show up and play for my teammates." This, my friends, is the type of character you build teams around.

Some of these offers for Simmonds are absolutely ludicrous.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wayne Simmonds is being severely underrated in this thread. Most players would have taken the easy way out and just sat on the shelf last year with the injuries Simmonds faced - instead, he played through them like a warrior, and is being vilified by fans for his performance.

The good news is, the NHL isn't run by a bunch of fans who look up fancy stats on websites and claim they know everything about the game. Wayne Simmonds has a ton of value around the league and he will reward any team that trades for him and signs him.

I love how some people claim Simmonds is slow, broken down, has seen the game pass him by, etc., yet they've never even played the game and have no idea why a player like Simmonds is extremely valuable.

The league, and most importantly Simmonds' teammates, know what Simmonds played through last year. He's a beast. I think his quote at the end of the year was, "Unless I'm deathly ill, I'll show up and play for my teammates." This, my friends, is the type of character you build teams around.

So, like... Bernier level value?

Reactions: Curufinwe

PK16

Jul 28, 2013

Well said!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Simmonds to Dallas for their 1st round pick this year and a prospect.
if we wanted him we would drat him.

Kinda like if we wanted Mcdonaugh/Shattenkirk/Subban /Couture / Voracek / Simmonds / Benn instead of JVR, we wouldve drafted them, right? Mind you, this is just ONE draft class.

The bolded is literally the dumbest statement you can make on HF, unless its about 2 minutes after the draft pick is made. Prospects do progress, afterall.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He’s not acclimating wear and tear anymore than stamkos is. The diff is he’s not “injury prone”. I wouldn’t hang your hat on Lucic=Simmonds. They play somewhat similar but they are built very differently. I feel like G thows more big hits than Simmonds does. Of course he comes off a injury filled year, but that helps him be available with his contract status. I wouldn’t say buyer beware.

Saying he is just a pp scorer is like saying a team won the cup bc of their goalie. The caps used their pp to win a cup. It matters plenty. Simmonds is also a good pker. That’s 2/3 of game play situations that he is very good at. He still scores 5-5, just needs a centerman better than filpulla.

Flyer fans aren’t expecting a ton. I think we will get what we are looking for.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Kinda like if we wanted Mcdonaugh/Shattenkirk/Subban /Couture / Voracek / Simmonds / Benn instead of JVR, we wouldve drafted them, right? Mind you, this is just ONE draft class.

The bolded is literally the dumbest statement you can make on HF, unless its about 2 minutes after the draft pick is made. Prospects do progress, afterall.
One draft has nothing to do with another.. Kapanen is not good enough offer for Simmonds.. and yes, if we wanted him we would had drafted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad