Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They are also ok with moving him if the return is Draisaitl. It doesn't hurt to ask, but expect to hear that response.

Also, it makes sense that Simmonds goes to a contender. So trading away a roster player in return defeats that....even though Ellis was mentioned.

I saw the Drai thing, but a few days ago I saw Parayko's name thrown out there for a much more stomach-able return. If they want a Drai, then it isn't happening for us. Parayko isn't that important to me.

Trading a roster player doesn't defeat the purpose of a contending team if it's a "hockey trade" like I think this would be. Sanheim with ice time will contribute right away and Simmonds of course can be an All-star. I don't see why this doesn't fit that (in theory).

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
He's the kind of guy PC would target for EDM - a bruiser, a RW, helps the PP. But at what cost. Hoping isn't getting hot headed on it.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Simmonds is traded, I'm thinking something along the lines of...

TO MTL for Pacioretty

TO MIN (with other pieces) for Coyle and Spurgeon

Pacioretty and Coyle are two forwards the Flyers have supposedly been interested in various times over the years.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How about simmonds + a pick 2nd or a 3rd for niederreiter

can you explain how and why the flyers are adding to the deal? Simmonds has out scored Nino over the past 5 years and brings more to the game

while Simmonds is a year away from UFA--flyers are not adding to move him

and for some perspective on nino's contract

Milan Lucic who some say has the worst contract in the NHL?

Last 3 seasons Lucic got 139 pts vs Nino's 132--Lucic just makes .750k more than Nino

Reactions: dingbathero

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
Simmons IMHO would put The Preds over the top
I agree. Simmonds really hits me as a "final piece" kind of player for a truly contending team. Great leader. Reasonable cap hit. Net-front presence. Goal scorer. Gritty and tough. Good on the PP. The fact that he only has one year left and is coming off an injury (yet still scored 20+ goals) make him a more acquirable asset -- one for which you pay some value but don't have to give up the farm. If he was 2 years younger or had 2 more years on his deal, he would be harder to acquire. He represents a perfect opportunity for a GM to take a calculated risk and really try to win the Cup if his team is on the verge.

Reactions: TheKingPin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
can you explain how and why the flyers are adding to the deal? Simmonds has out scored Nino over the past 5 years and brings more to the game

while Simmonds is a year away from UFA--flyers are not adding to move him

and for some perspective on nino's contract

Milan Lucic who some say has the worst contract in the NHL?

Last 3 seasons Lucic got 139 pts vs Nino's 132--Lucic just makes .750k more than Nino

I'm a Flyers fan. I'd add a pick in a heartbeat.

Lucic is 30 years old, plays a style that ages horrendously, has already started falling off a cliff, and is signed at big money through his 35th birthday. Even in his "good" year in Edmonton, half of his Points came on the PP. In Philadelphia, he absolutely would not get PP1 time.

Niederreiter is essentially 4 years younger, locked up for 4 years at a reasonable rate, a phenomenal possession player, and doesn't require PP time to maximize his value.

It's like a laundry list of what the Flyers do and don't need, respectively.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Long shot here, but what about the 7th overall and Stetcher for the Flyer's 14th overall and Simmonds?

Stetcher isn't being used effectively here, but he should be a top four for us and has potential enough still to be a top four on a better team than ours.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sportsnet is reporting that the Flyers are shopping Wayne Simmonds, who only has a year left on his deal. What would your team give up for him?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Just a reminder for you party people out there:

There's also really no issue with us retaining on Simmonds if a team is cap-crunched. Now, Simmonds doesn't have a large salary anyway, but chances are we could eat the 50 percent easily.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's 30 years old. There's a lot of wear and tear. Buyer beware.
I love Simmonds, but this is a legitimate concern. As a rental, I'd have no worries, but he's like as not to have a monster year and then command a healthy multiyear contract he will not be able to live up to long-term.
But again, as a one-year rental, there are few other guys who are going to be available that competitors would love to add, and he's reasonably priced at the moment. So he could still command decent return. Especially if Philly retained.

babaracus88

Jan 13, 2016
Are you a Wild fan? Where do I sign up? Can we get you in a Fenton costume by Friday?

Actually i am a flyers fan but i figure wild probably need to win now and niedereiter seems like he is in the doghouse with boudreau so why not? and minessota seems like they could use a player who will do whatever it takes to win.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How about simmonds + a pick 2nd or a 3rd for niederreiter

Um... no...

If Simmonds is traded, I'm thinking something along the lines of...

TO MTL for Pacioretty

TO MIN (with other pieces) for Coyle and Spurgeon

Pacioretty and Coyle are two forwards the Flyers have supposedly been interested in various times over the years.

Also very much a no.

sailorjerry97

Jan 5, 2018
kane got condition 1st, o'regan and a 2020 4th pick as a pending UFA
so if we follow something similar

To EDM: Simmonds
To PHI: 2019 1st Pick, one Prospect.. (Benson/Stafin,Gambardella,Jones/bear), 2020 4th Pick.
maybe you'd like to take Lucic off our hands too with all that cap space? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad