Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It just doesn't make too much sense. Why trade for a UFA goalie at this stage of the season? This deal will likely be pretty inconsequential, but I don't think it bodes well.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not going to argue that Stolarz is particularly good at all, so please let me be clear about that. I just want to add some context.

Part of the reason his numbers this year are where they are is related to Hakstol's handling of him. He took a guy with his injury history and recent return and played him six times in nine days (!!!!) on that long road trip, which was where he cratered. The tendrils of incompetence from that dope will stretch on for years.
Sure, that's true too.

But my point is more that his past performances haven't proven that he's good/reliable, not that the numbers prove he's bad.

It just doesn't make too much sense. Why trade for a UFA goalie at this stage of the season? This deal will likely be pretty inconsequential, but I don't think it bodes well.

Test drive before buying.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Never thought much of Stolie even though his last two games he stopped 75 of 77 shots or whatever. He might turn out to be a decent backup or constantly injured like Neuvy. The mentoring idea is fine. Talbot's value will probably be equivalent to rent a wreck Mrazek. Maybe he will rebound though. Not a disaster trade but maybe Fletch could have extracted more given how this helps Edmonton more than us. I am still not sold on Fletch overall...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
like I said.. we have other needs and other positions we need to address... help Hart? He needs help? assemble decent coaching staff.

Let me guess get a veteran goalie that will mentor and help... myth.. Kind of like when Bobby Clarke always thought that we needed vet goalie in playoffs and that's why we traded for Burke 5 times.
Trade Simmonds, add 4th line player that can play well on D and make a move on D... even if this is a major move. If a top 6 forward available for decent price trade prospect like great all around Rubtsov
holy over reaction.

You would swear we traded for someone like McKenna and re-signed him. Talbot at LEAST was a vezina level goalie just 2 years ago. He has the ability to bounce back.

Reality is, Stolarz had no future in Philly once he was hurt for 2 years and Hart passed him. And if Fletch thinks Talbot and Hart make a great tandem for next year, I am open to at least see how it plays out.

But I also will wait until I see Talbot's contract if re-signed. I expect an Elliott type deal....around 3 million. But I would only do 1 year as a "show me" deal. And I will judge Fletch more on the contract than the trade.

Reactions: DecadesofFutility

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
to make hart happy(because he was unhappy) and to get a "leadership" and to get goalie #9, add some salary and to address something that had been addressed by both rookies that were playing well..

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I believe he has the intention of re-signing him if he plays well for the team. Stolarz was and is stil a work in progress and he wasn’t going to be anything more than a back up here.

Stolarz is 25 already, has had durability issues and consistency issues. He needed a change in scenery but Edmonton isn’t probably the best place for him. It’s a shame to think what he might have become without all the injuries he has dealt with over his young career.

I honestly believe if Talbot plays well here over the last 20 or so games the flyers will sign him to a cheaper 2 year deal. Around 2.5-3 million per year to pair with Hart going forward. Also allows us not to jump in the goalie market because the starters and backups there will probably be more expensive.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I want fletch to:

1- trade Simmonds
2- not extend Gordo (anyone would have looked better than Hak)
3- not trade useful, good players on good contracts
4- get Amac off this team asap

Until those are done, I am nervous
add 4th liner, preferably with size.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Is Stolarz actually an upcoming group VI UFA if he goesnt get to 28 NHL games played? If so, then its UFA for UFA basically. Stolarz might get those games in Edmonton, but he wasn't going to get them in Philly.

Yeah, that's how it works to my understanding. I guess the thing is they have 26 games remaining and he needed 9 appearances to retain his RFA rights. Giving him 9 would still have given Hart 17 starts to finish the season which is plenty reasonable so it wasn't about to stunt his development.

I'm sad as a Flyers fan to see Anthony go, I know his older brother from playing hockey growing up but I am glad it sounds like he'll get to play in Edmonton. I want him to be an NHL starter, for his family, but also for central jersey hockey.

This move is puzzling imo because there really was no reason not to finish the year with he and Hart. It's cool and all that Talbot is his buddy, hopefully that'll be extra incentive to re-sign with Philly and tandem with Hart, but still, I think the Flyers should have stuck with him to see for themselves what they had, plus Talbot could have still been had in the off season.

Hell, if you're not going to retain his rights and re-sign him, play him only say 8 more games to do him a solid and let him find a job elsewhere. Not the best asset management but it would allow him to strut his stuff and maybe improve the Flyers repetition around the league making them more attractive to pending UFA's. Now he's in the black hole known as Edmonton and I worry about what they'll do with him.

Maybe Edmonton will let him walk, who knows...

Reactions: Rebels57

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I don't hate this trade as like most of you.

Cam still had better advanced and metrics numbers than Stolarz or Elliott last season. Anthony MAYBE will be a solid backup, maybe. Cam was one of the best goalie in the league one time and I believe that in Philly he will be good again under better defense and with Hart as his partner.

But yes, we still can to lost this trade. But we can win this trade too. So...

We'll see.

BTW I like this tweet too:

And also... This was from me:

Last edited:

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

That’s my concern as well. This trade likely doesn’t make too much of difference... I’m just concerned we see more poor deals on a larger level. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Dr Pecker

Dec 18, 2018
Test drive before buying.

They voice of reason! Agreed it would have been nice to try and get a pick from Edmonton,
But they are already down a 5th, I can’t imagine them being overly willing to add a pick in. Talbot could easily return to form or couldn’t with a change of scenery, but doing a favour for your goalie of the future at a very minimal cost is a good move in my books. It’s not like we don’t have some good goalie prospects in the system. Fletch made a low risk move for the future and only time can tell how good or bad the move was.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
I see some people are still freaking out about something little.

I guess a 25 year old goalie coming off of 2 major injuries and has played 12 NHL games in 2 years, does not have a lot of trade value. Like honestly, what did you expect?

Some people are only seeing 1 side of the deal. The side where they think the Oilers were up against the cap very soon and Fletch should have exploited it.

But they don't see the other side. The side where maybe Fletch WANTS Talbot to be that vet for Hart next season. That side where he believes Talbot can bounce back. You know, the guy who was 4th in Vezina voting just 1.5 years ago.

I will say it again, people would have FREAKED if Stolie was kept as the backup next year and got hurt for the 3rd straight year. Just look at Neuvirth as proof.

We got the guy Fletch wanted with Hart. Only time will tell if it was a good decision or not. Nothing can be determined today.

So true fans would have said what they said to Hextall "Fletcher knew Stolie was injury prone and never had success in nhl beside 2-3 games and still kept him and didnt try a better option".

Fans are bipolar lol.
Just the fact that Fletcher is looking to test a goaler before giving him a contract and see if Hart will be profit from that move is a great upgrade on Hextall (trade wise).

Nice job, I cant see how this can come back as bad. The chance are real low. Stolie will probably play some good games and some .850 games before getting injured and people will freak put in Edmonton because Talbot will be a backup with a .910 here. Sign to a 2-3 2.5 mil. to ride with Hart and help him win the vezina. That's how I see it.

You dont want to mentally mess up a goaler like Hart like the habs did with Price. I think Fletcher did good there. Thinking about the bigger picture.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
After sleeping on this.....its still f***ing trash.

Trading for Talbot is exactly the same mindset that keeps MacDonald in the AHL.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This is literally a free agent for free agent trade. Flyers more than likely wanted a veteran and not Stolarz behind Hart next year.

Talbot will likely be re-signed and Stolarz with Edmonton. If stolarz makes 10 games for Edmonton.

I think we are overvualing stolarz here. He hasn’t showed very much at both levels. Talbot has at least shown he has a higher level of play.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
After sleeping on this.....its still ****ing trash.

Trading for Talbot is exactly the same mindset that keeps MacDonald in the AHL.
Huh? They're not even close to comparable.

Talbot is actually someone who has played at a high level in the past and then suffered while on a disaster of a team. He could actually be good again.
MacDonald is just a garbage defensemen... past, present, and future.

No wonder you hate this trade so much... you're not looking at it for what it really is.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
It’s not like Talbot would have been the only vet option this off season. We got bad value based on his current season and our need.

I’m sure we could have found an .890 vet goalie available if we did go inexperienced in net and suffer a need during next season.

Fletcher swung.....and missed. I suppose it happens. Let’s see what happens next.
How is it bad value when the whole league passed on stolarz for free on 3 separate occasions this year? I like stolarz but he had no real value other then riding him out as a 20 game back up next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Huh? They're not even close to comparable.

Talbot is actually someone who has played at a high level in the past and then suffered while on a disaster of a team. He could actually be good again.
MacDonald is just a garbage defensemen... past, present, and future.

No wonder you hate this trade so much... you're not looking at it for what it really is.

I can see what is.

They acquired a washed up goalie for his magical veteraniness and because he is Carters pen pal. No need to put any extra spin on it.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
They get a lottery ticket for a guy who was eating up cap space they desperately needed, who has been bad for the last couple of years, and who didn't have a future with the club. There's no downside here for them.

The Flyers didn't need a goalie right now, could have signed Talbot without giving up assets in the off-season, could have gotten Stolarz a few more games to further see what they had in him before having to make a decision on him, and could have dealt Stolarz for an asset other than an expiring contract. They also miss out on the chance that he actually develops into a quality NHL goaltender.

I hate this trade.
When could they have traded stolarz? At the deadline? He will be an ufa this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00