Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Stolarz getting lit up again tonight. Four goals against on 2o shots. In four appearances with Edmonton he has gone 3.41/.900, 3.o6/.925, 4.41/.882, 7.03, .833.

Meanwhile the Flyers look to prefer Elliott over Talbot at this point. Chances are neither guy ends up back with their current team and this ends up being a nothing trade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought Lyon was better than Stolarz. I was shouted down.
We'll see in a year or two.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's also fair to point out that Stolarz career SV% is above .900 because of his first run of NHL games which came before his knee injuries. And he could find himself back in the AHL next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon is on a serious roll since the Calder Cup playoffs last year, he was injured when he was with the Flyers and didn't look himself until around January - but he's the only thing that kept the Phantoms even close to competitive this year.
It's not uncommon for goalies to put it together around 25-26 years old.

Stolarz never played at as high a level on a sustained basis.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Anyone else sort of getting the sense this move was nothing more than clearing space in our AHL net and providing Stolarz the opportunity to audition elsewhere? That could be an important point this franchise is trying to make given we have a large number of college prospects we'll have to sign with limited spots on the big club long term.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given Stolarz was a UFA, and we didn't need the room this year in the AHL (could have just released McKenna), I think it was mostly about bringing Talbot in and seeing if he liked Philly. He's not going to resign if he's offered a starting job, but if not, this might be the best place to backup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seems pretty clear that Elliott is not coming back and they want Talbot as Hart's backup next season, but what are the odds Talbot has a better 19-20 season than Elliott? I'd say it's 50/50 at best.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Seems pretty clear that Elliott is not coming back and they want Talbot as Hart's backup next season, but what are the odds Talbot has a better 19-20 season than Elliott? I'd say it's 50/50 at best.

I agree...its likely 50/50.

But you'd think if Fletcher brought Talbot in to be Harts backup they might want to see if he's actually any good.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Elliott will be better. But you can understand them wanting to move on to a goalie who has a history of being much healthier in Talbot. We need to end this string musical chairs with our goalies....8 this year...4 last year.

Reactions: Foggy14

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And to add, Elliott was essentially paid as a highest backup money. He posted a .910 SV% and a 2.71 GAA with us in the 2 years and 34-20-8. If we get that from Talbot or another backup next year, that's ok.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And to add, Elliott was essentially paid as a highest backup money. He posted a .910 SV% and a 2.71 GAA with us in the 2 years and 34-20-8. If we get that from Talbot or another backup next year, that's ok.

It's ok as long as he also stays healthy, which Elliott couldn't do.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's ok as long as he also stays healthy, which Elliott couldn't do.
Well, he still has to play well and win games. No sense being healthy if you are going to lose. But I do think he can help us next year and there certainly isn't a whole lot of guys who are obviously better.

I expect a 2 year deal around 3 million.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
So explain Boucher? Same defense, different results.
Sometimes goalies get hot at the right time.
Boucher was notoriously streaky and could be insanely good when hot and it was exactly that when he got hurt in the middle of a shutout. No one in thier right mind thinks goaltending was a strength of that team let alone carried them anywhere.

As for lyon and stolarz i think stolie given his physical attributes has more talent but lyon has better technique. Lyon is the better pro and more definitive product while stolie may or may not be the better player. I think thwy got value where they could and stuck with the safer option.

Id still like to see talbot play a little more

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Despite his recent struggles, Mikko Koskinen is expected to remain the starter moving forward, per a TSN report. While that in itself isn’t entirely noteworthy, it will, however, make it difficult for the Oilers to retain Anthony Stolarz’s rights as a restricted free agent. He needed to play at least 30 minutes in 10 games following his acquisition from Philadelphia to avoid unrestricted free agency. Tuesday’s relief appearance was only his third and with only nine games left, it will be difficult for the team to get Stolarz seven more games with that much playing time if they intend to keep Koskinen as the starter."

Oilers Notes: Chiasson, Goaltending, Free Agent Target

So it will end up a wash, two UFAs exchanged, neither of which did much for their new teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad