Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So not re sign Simmer and I do t care what the value is.

Do not trade Ghost , unless it’s for signed Trouba, and that’s it.

Travat

Feb 24, 2018
Would much rather of kept Stolarz, other than a few rough games when the whole team was horrid he was good with decent numbers and I feel has plenty of upside that could of got us a decent trade return in a year or two.

Talbot is just another dime a dozen average goalie on the decline which we already have other than obviously Hart. This move to me helps the Oilers much more than it does us!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I see some people are still freaking out about something little.

I guess a 25 year old goalie coming off of 2 major injuries and has played 12 NHL games in 2 years, does not have a lot of trade value. Like honestly, what did you expect?

Some people are only seeing 1 side of the deal. The side where they think the Oilers were up against the cap very soon and Fletch should have exploited it.

But they don't see the other side. The side where maybe Fletch WANTS Talbot to be that vet for Hart next season. That side where he believes Talbot can bounce back. You know, the guy who was 4th in Vezina voting just 1.5 years ago.

I will say it again, people would have FREAKED if Stolie was kept as the backup next year and got hurt for the 3rd straight year. Just look at Neuvirth as proof.

We got the guy Fletch wanted with Hart. Only time will tell if it was a good decision or not. Nothing can be determined today.
Exactly.

Funny that some people, who adamantly want us to go after established NHL FAs because they say we can't solely rely on prospects to improve the roster, are suddenly fine with 100% relying on potential, let alone in a position like goaltending. There's no 4th line or 3rd pair for young goalies to wade into... they either sink or swim and Stolarz has mostly sunk.

Here's all his career NHL games. It's not pretty...

d46ec29c88bc75378a1f7bcf418fe7ee.png

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Would much rather of kept Stolarz, other than a few rough games when the whole team was horrid he was good with decent numbers and I feel has plenty of upside that could of got us a decent trade return in a year or two.

Talbot is just another dime a dozen average goalie on the decline which we already have other than obviously Hart. This move to me helps the Oilers much more than it does us!

Stolie will most likely have no chance in Edmonton imo

Scott Taylor

Aug 9, 2018
Ok people...relax. It amazes me how everyone is ready to condemn Fletcher for this deal. I remember how everyone was worried that he would come in and make a bunch of rash decisons and bring us back to the days of Paul Holmgren. That is another discussion for another time.
I laugh when people say they can't believe Fletcher did not get a 4th or 5th rd pick. Would you have complained about this trade if it happebed before this year. I wonder...hmmm
We have underacheived this season and that cannot be disputed. But Edmonton is another level of futile as a franchise. I am sure Talbot is thrilled to go to philly.
A 4th or 5th Rd pick...seriously..if they were really stupid. Remember Chiarelli is go e. Who cares! Lindblom was a 5th rd pick and although I like him is hardly lighting the league on fire.
We have more picks and prospects than we know what to do with right now. It is nice but we only have so many spots available on our roster. I don't think I need to rehash our prospect list.
This is a good low risk move by Fletcher. He is being methodical and I like his approach. None of us have any idea what he has in the works. I like stolarz amd hope he does well. I think this is a great situation for our #1 asset...Carter Hart.
We have 9 picks this year in the draft. Just relax.
We will get a nice return for Simmonds. Fletcher slowly done a sweep of our trash on the roster.
This is a great time to be a Flyer fan. We have our #1 goalie! Let the tradeline, draft and Free Agency play itself out. Take a deep breath. Enjoy the games. Hakstol, Weiss,Weal are gone and Lehtera is sitting on the bench in the minors. If you hate the GM then don't watchamd get off the board. I love Flyers hockeys through good and bad. Optimism is free.
Go Flyers

Reactions: RebusFlyer

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

They get a lottery ticket for a guy who was eating up cap space they desperately needed, who has been bad for the last couple of years, and who didn't have a future with the club. There's no downside here for them.

The Flyers didn't need a goalie right now, could have signed Talbot without giving up assets in the off-season, could have gotten Stolarz a few more games to further see what they had in him before having to make a decision on him, and could have dealt Stolarz for an asset other than an expiring contract. They also miss out on the chance that he actually develops into a quality NHL goaltender.

I hate this trade.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We're projecting Hart as the starter, right? That means he's going to get the lion's share of the starts moving forward. The on-ice difference that Talbot is going to give you as a back-up is likely to be negligible from what you would have gotten from Stolarz, but he's going to take up more cap space and he has no further upside. He's also coming off some bad years. Stolarz is still in development, especially considering he lost a full year, and was always a raw guy with tremendous physical gifts. And it's not just about this year. He was good in limited action two years ago. If he can play a more technically sound game you have a potential starter on your hands. That's of higher value to me than whatever we're going to likely get from Talbot.
I would expect more of a 1A/1B situation next year.

Stolarz dreams of performing the way Talbot has in his career, outside of this year. It's not impossible, but I'd say it's a safer bet that Talbot returns to his previous form than that Stolarz reaches that level.

Plus, Stolarz injury history isn't a non-factor here. I'm sure they value avoiding a repeat of this years game of goalie musical chairs and Talbot has been extremely durable so far in his career.

Reactions: DecadesofFutility

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly.

Funny that some people, who adamantly want us to go after established NHL FAs because they say we can't solely rely on prospects to improve the roster, are suddenly fine with 100% relying on potential, let alone in a position like goaltending. There's no 4th line or 3rd pair for young goalies to wade into... they either sink or swim and Stolarz has mostly sunk.

if stolarz gets injuried then it's all on hart, and that's very bad idea, it's got to stop with number 1 goalie bs, you need 2 good goalies. at least now if hart struggles, talbot can take over and give hart a few days rest while he improves.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Being 25 doesn’t mean you will be anything. Talbot was once in the running for the Vezina so he clearly has the ability to do it, he’s just had a bad few years. Stolarz can’t keep healthy and at 25 he’s barely hit 20 starts.

We’ve got a dozen goalies like him, whereas there’s a possibility that Talbot is something else. And if he isn’t, he’s a UFA.
This is all true. It's a deal that works for both teams. Philly gets to try to fix Talbot and if that happens and they extend him they have an amazing 1-2 punch in net. Edmonton gets to try a former top prospect who has had injury issues but could be a diamond in the rough.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
we are fixing goalteding when we do not have goalteding issues.. adding salary and keeping all our trash goalies and we are helping Edm. why?
Again...we are not helping the Oilers as the main goal. Fletch is trying to secure a HEALTHY vet goalie to help Hart. And given their relationship AND the fact that Talbot is not that far removed from being a top goalie, it was worth the trade.

And again, we gave up a goalie who has had 2 major injuries in 2 years and has played 12 NHL games during that time. If we kept him and he got hurt again, people would be saying we did not learn from Neuvirth.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Excellent insight and analysis. Not sure my cat could have done any better.
I already gave my analysis in other thread... who the f are you exactly? you can shove your cat where the sun does not shine as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Again...we are not helping the Oilers as the main goal. Fletch is trying to secure a HEALTHY vet goalie to help Hart. And given their relationship AND the fact that Talbot is not that far removed from being a top goalie, it was worth the trade.

And again, we gave up a goalie who has had 2 major injuries in 2 years and has played 12 NHL games during that time. If we kept him and he got hurt again, people would be saying we did not learn from Neuvirth.
Is Stolarz actually an upcoming group VI UFA if he goesnt get to 28 NHL games played? If so, then its UFA for UFA basically. Stolarz might get those games in Edmonton, but he wasn't going to get them in Philly.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't mind Talbot.
I don't care about losing Stolarz.

But I'll tell you this, friends - we can put to bed the mystery of Chuck's hair and why it is the way it is. Clearly - CLEARLY - when he goes into negotiations with other GMs, they put their hand on the top of his head, push it down, and plant wet farts all over it until they have emasculated his ability to extract fair trade value. That's why his hair always looks like the pelt of a shattered squirrel.

In isolation, this trade is no big deal. But what the **** is he doing?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Exactly.

I'm not going to argue that Stolarz is particularly good at all, so please let me be clear about that. I just want to add some context.

Part of the reason his numbers this year are where they are is related to Hakstol's handling of him. He took a guy with his injury history and recent return and played him six times in nine days (!!!!) on that long road trip, which was where he cratered.

The tendrils of incompetence from that dope will stretch on for years.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

like I said.. we have other needs and other positions we need to address... help Hart? He needs help? assemble decent coaching staff.

Let me guess get a veteran goalie that will mentor and help... myth.. Kind of like when Bobby Clarke always thought that we needed vet goalie in playoffs and that's why we traded for Burke 5 times.
Trade Simmonds, add 4th line player that can play well on D and make a move on D... even if this is a major move. If a top 6 forward available for decent price trade prospect like great all around ready to break in and make an impact Rubtsov, Start playing NHLers

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2