Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have to assume they're banking on a change of scenery helping him revert to previous form, like an older version of Mason.

I was hoping for a pick to come our way too, but Stolarz didn't really have much value. He's played a grand total of 19 career NHL games and seemed to be either great or awful. I definitely wouldn't have been confident in him being the backup next year behind Hart. Talbot isn't necessarily any better, obviously, so we'll see how he looks the rest of the year.

Really it was a swap of experience for potential. Two unknowns.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have to assume they're banking on a change of scenery helping him revert to previous form, like an older version of Mason.

I was hoping for a pick to come our way too, but Stolarz didn't really have much value. He's played a grand total of 19 career NHL games and seemed to be either great or awful. I definitely wouldn't have been confident in him being the backup next year behind Hart. Too much of an unknown.

Dont turd polish. This is garbage.

Are we going to acquire Carters mom to play Top 4 RD next?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
tenor.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
While not catastrophic, it makes me less optimistic that Fletcher can extract good value in a deal. The onus was entirely on the Oilers to get this deal done on a goalie at rock bottom value-wise. Fletcher handed over a still-young G prospect who was playing well and handed over cap savings without getting compensation for his kindness.

I'm not anxious to see what Fletcher resigns Talbot for. It had better be at least half what he is currently earning.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This is a dumb trade. Like, the dumbest of trades. I get the rationale behind it and would even agree to it if it weren't for a slew of other issues. That's coming from someone who think Talbot might rebound out of Edmonton.

-Stolarz is an RFA, Talbot is a UFA. Talbot might rebound, but how the hell are we going to know that based on half a season of work? So, either he does well for half a season in a 1B role and he gets a bigger contract than Stolarz would and we risk him imploding next year? Or he sucks ass this half season and we either lost Stolarz for nothing or sign him anyway? Like, what's the plan there?

-Oilers were in cap hell, we just helped them out big time and did a one for one swap despite offering the better player, at the moment, to boot. How in the f*** do you not squeeze out SOMETHING of value in addition here? Oilers had no leverage whatsoever.

-We already have Neuvirth and Elliott under contract. Is the plan to just keep them both on IR the rest of the season and sign Talbot on half a season of sample size now?

My faith in Fletcher was small based upon his previous work, it's starting to wane. If he doesn't move Simmonds this deadline for something of value then I'm on the f*** him, he's just another in the line of mediocrity boat.

EDIT: It's not even half a season, it's like 20 f***ing games left in the season. So 10'ish depending on his role.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Dont turd polish. This is garbage.

Are we going to acquire Carters mom to play Top 4 RD next?

Why is anything other than hatred turd polishing? :laugh:

I'm just genuinely not too upset by this. I definitely don't love it but I also wasn't as high on Stolarz as many on here.
Talbot might suck but Stolarz might too. Like I added to that post above, it's experience for potential.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I have no strong feelings about this one way or the other. And i honestly can't fathom anyone having them.

it's an impending FA backup goalie for an impending FA backup goalie, guys.

I appreciate you attempting to traffic-cop poster response on here, but I think the details of this trade mean more than a superficial analysis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->