Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Just got through the thread.

My first thought was "why not a sweetener to bail them out ?????"

I wanted to give Stolarz a longer look as I thought he had potential. In reality, he wasn't going to hit the number of games to keep from UFA status.

Going with him as the b/u next year after the Elliot/Noivy disaster would have been wishful thinking. His injuries could be behind him..or maybe not. I wish him well in Edmonton and hope he sticks somewhere.

I haven't watched enough Talbot to have a detailed analysis but plenty of red flags with his age, declining numbers and possibly speed/reflexes. At least he has played very well and was in the Vezina talk.

On the positive

1. He has played well and maybe the Edmonton disaster played a big part.
2. We don't have any compensation clause should we resign him.
3. If it helps Hart to have Talbot help him in some capacity then giddy-up.

On the negative

1. No pick to bail them out.
2. His numbers are terrible.
3. It concerns me that Fletch might screw up the Simmonds trade or worse trade Ghost.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
It just doesn't make too much sense. Why trade for a UFA goalie at this stage of the season? This deal will likely be pretty inconsequential, but I don't think it bodes well.
To give him a test drive for rest of the season. So many people were touting Mrazek and he was terrible. Imagine getting him for free in the summer and then being stuck with his contract for at least a whole season.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can see what is.

They acquired a washed up goalie for his magical veteraniness and because he is Carters pen pal. No need to put any extra spin on it.
What you’re dismissing as “spin” is actually called “context”. It’s kinda important.

Like the context of how this recent poor play was on the Edmonton Oilers and that it’s not at all outlandish to think he could regain his previous level of play once away from that team. It’s a buy low, zero risk attempt to find a goalie for next year. You don’t have to love the trade but this reaction isn’t proportional to the size/importance of the trade.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Ben Bishop got traded for peanuts......so why would the value be higher for Stolie? You guys are overvaluing Stolie so much. Here is what is going to happen. Talbot will mentor Hart, Sandstrom will be in the AHL soon. Once Talbots mentor roadtrip is done, Sandstrom replaces him and we have the only two goalies that matter in the grand scheme of our future (then Errson replaces Sandstroms AHL hole).

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I can see what is.

They acquired a washed up goalie for his magical veteraniness and because he is Carters pen pal. No need to put any extra spin on it.
I believe you might be also putting a spin on it with your Macdonald trade.

I have no clue why anyone thinks Stolarz has any value? He passed through waivers unclaimed. Nobody wanted him for free some we traded him and took a contract back. Typically how these deals go.

The upside isn’t high anymore. Flyers brass has seen the guy play since he was drafted. He isn’t going to be the starter here and we aren’t going to see him become a top backup. That was literally the upside to him. Then flip him for a 2nd rounder in two years?

Talbot may not be pretty and playing bad this year with the oilers but that whole team is bad. Talbot will be a cheaper back up option that allows the flyers to explore even more in the free agency market because our goalie tandem next year will be under 4 million.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think I know why people are upset with the trade. It’s most likely because stolarz is 25 and Talbot is 32. I bet that’s one of the biggest reason. HF goes crazy over potential and not for at least a proven talent in the NHL. Stolarz couldn’t prove to stay on the ice for 30 games in a year the last couple of seasons.

It’s a shame because the injuries look to have hurt his play and upside.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Just got through the thread.

My first thought was "why not a sweetener to bail them out ?????"

I wanted to give Stolarz a longer look as I thought he had potential. In reality, he wasn't going to hit the number of games to keep from UFA status.

Going with him as the b/u next year after the Elliot/Noivy disaster would have been wishful thinking. His injuries could be behind him..or maybe not. I wish him well in Edmonton and hope he sticks somewhere.

I haven't watched enough Talbot to have a detailed analysis but plenty of red flags with his age, declining numbers and possibly speed/reflexes. At least he has played very well and was in the Vezina talk.

On the positive

1. He has played well and maybe the Edmonton disaster played a big part.
2. We don't have any compensation clause should we resign him.
3. If it helps Hart to have Talbot help him in some capacity then giddy-up.

On the negative

1. No pick to bail them out.
2. His numbers are terrible.
3. It concerns me that Fletch might screw up the Simmonds trade or worse trade Ghost.
Is 31 really old for a goalie? 2 year 5-6 million deal to hold the fought until another kid is ready.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Charlie was hinting pretty heavily there were others with interest, which is a factor whether people like it or not. That seems to fit without requiring huge logic jumps. In that case, sure. I get it.

I think I know why people are upset with the trade. It’s most likely because stolarz is 25 and Talbot is 32. I bet that’s one of the biggest reason. HF goes crazy over potential and not for at least a proven talent in the NHL. Stolarz couldn’t prove to stay on the ice for 30 games in a year the last couple of seasons.

It’s a shame because the injuries look to have hurt his play and upside.

Option A: Ageist InfoWars.
Option B: It's Cam Talbot.

Care to choose again?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Simply put, the goalie position is a different animal. The relationship between starter and backup is symbiotic and goes a long way. Intangibles are important.

Yes, I think having Hart's known mentor is better now and in the long run for the team.
Yup, absolutely. Ron Hextall gave Chico Resch a lot of kudos for being there for him during his rookie season. You can run with 2 young goalies and it may work out fine. However if you are going forward next season with a 21 year old #1 who at most will have about 30 NHL starts under his belt, having a veteran who he is very close with as his backup/mentor is not a bad plan. Especially when, for most of his career, that veteran has been a pretty damned good goalie.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
As has been said, but apparently needs to be repeated ...

We didn’t save them from some impossible situation. They had options.

Exactly, when it comes to the cap, there are usually multiple ways to make these things work out. A year from now, when Stolarz is probably either injured or struggling in Edmonton and Talbot is here playing well as the backup to Carter Hart, no one will be complaining.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Yy[QUOTE="Van Buren Boy, post: 156582857, member: 41194"]Stolarz was on waivers this season. Anyone in the league could have had him for free and they all passed. We got Talbot in return. If any of this helps Hart moving forward then i'm fine with it[/QUOTE]

Yep it's all about Hart. Cam and Carter have a very good relationship. I still would have liked Cliff to squeeze a pick out of this deal, but it is not the end of the world.

Reactions: BiggE

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Even if they gave us Talbot and we gave nothing back we still should have had a pick coming back. Hextall might have been too patient and controlling to some but no way he would do this deal without getting more in return.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You wanted to give Elliot another year? Or a rookie in Stolarz? That sounds alot like the last 3 years of success

Elliott as Hart’s backup is materially different from Elliott as our 1A. Moreover, I do tend to prefer having a better goalie on our roster, instead of a worse one, so giving Elliott the backup job appeals more than giving it to Talbot.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
If this helps Hart, and I am in the camp that believes it may, great!

Personally I am just breathing a sigh of relief that the name Manning was not mentioned / included in anything having to do with this trade.

Reactions: BiggE

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I think this is kinda meh trade but I understand why they wanted to do it. I would not be comfortable going in to next season with Hart and Stolie. What if/when Hart hits a rough patch, or gets injured? I don't trust Stolie enough to be OK if those happen.

They obviously think Talbot might be good fit woth Hart. I like that Fletcher wants to find out if that is the case before handing him contract. Yes you could've sign him in the summer but if he really is as bad as he has been lately? Now they at least see him play bunch of games before they need to sign him.

And Stolie might have told Fletcher that he won't be back with Flyers next season, so it makes sense plan a bit ahead.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz was on waivers this season. Anyone in the league could have had him for free and they all passed. We got Talbot in return. If any of this helps Hart moving forward then i'm fine with it

He got thru waivers in October because he missed the 17-18 season with injury. It’s not October anymore and he has played well enough since then that he wouldn’t have got thru waivers again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad