Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Haha, you realize which one is 25 and which one is 31 right?

Being 25 doesn’t mean you will be anything. Talbot was once in the running for the Vezina so he clearly has the ability to do it, he’s just had a bad few years. Stolarz can’t keep healthy and at 25 he’s barely hit 20 starts.

We’ve got a dozen goalies like him, whereas there’s a possibility that Talbot is something else. And if he isn’t, he’s a UFA.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Not a fan. Not that I think Stolie is some great goalie, but he's a jersey boy and I think would make a fine backup for years to come. Talbot is ok and I guess the Hart connection will be good. Grand scheme of things this is probably a good thing, I just don't like it.
You know there are a couple other guys that were from New Jersey that play ice hockey professionally

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Bad return value for a player who would be available in the summer for reasonable money considering his performance this year. Not one doubt Hextall would have at least gotten value ( see Lecavalier and Zac).

Cap space is an asset. (Thanks again Hextall) It brought us two first round picks for Schenn. Not saying Talbot is Schenn. Just use your cap asset wisely. This trade was ^Holgrenesque ‘ ...

We gain nothing that wasn’t easily available to us later at no cost and help Edmonton. F this bull**** deal.

This better not be a sign of things to come.

Jesus. Calm down. We gave up absolutely nothing to get a free couple of months for him to audition. People losing their minds because we didn’t get a measly third or fourth, give over.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Jesus. Calm down. We gave up absolutely nothing to get a free couple of months for him to audition. People losing their minds because we didn’t get a measly third or fourth, give over.
Its the fact that we HELPED them by giving them the cap space needed to call up sekara (spelling may be off) so by helping them we SHOULD have gotten something more enticing than just talbot

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005

We gave up cap....only just cause. I expect we gave up 5 starts to a poorly playing goalie between now and season end. Maybe more.

At least picks have potential and are a bankable asset. This?

This has no value that wasn’t already available later at no cost.

Just a stupid trade based on his recent play.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
HATE this.

We don't need a goalie this year. The market for Talbot was not exactly going to be red hot in the summer and we could have just landed him in UFA if they really think they need a vet back there. Then you can deal Stolarz for a pick or something to recoup some value.

But most of all I disagree that they needed a vet. Stolarz is an NHL goaltender, if only a back-up. How much more value is Talbot going to provide there, if any, at a doubtlessly a higher caphit? With his size and athleticism, if Stolarz is able to put it all together, then this starts to feel like Bob all over again.

I would have gone young / cheap in net for the next 3 years and I would have been perfectly content to do so.
Stolarz being an NHL goalie is debatable.

Before his two good games this month, he had a .880 sv% on the year and didn’t look good at all. Then he had two really good games that seriously boosted his stats and apparently made quite the impression on this fanbase.

Even betting on him to be a backup next year is being extremely optimistic. Maybe he can stick in the NHL, but going with Hart/Stolarz would have been crazy risky for a team hoping to at least win a playoff series next year. Plus, Bob was WAY more proven than Stolarz and his 19 total NHL games.

Reactions: flyersfromquebec

Freddy The Fog

Aug 3, 2005

Before his two good games this month, he had a .880 sv% on the year and didn’t look good at all. Then he had two really good games that seriously boosted his stats and apparently made quite the impression on this fanbase.

Even betting on him to be a backup next year is being extremely optimistic. Maybe he can stick in the NHL, but going with Hart/Stolarz would have been crazy risky for a team hoping to at least win a playoff series next year. Plus, Bob was WAY more proven than Stolarz and his 19 total NHL games.

It’s not like Talbot would have been the only vet option this off season. We got bad value based on his current season and our need.

I’m sure we could have found an .890 vet goalie available if we did go inexperienced in net and suffer a need during next season.

Fletcher swung.....and missed. I suppose it happens. Let’s see what happens next.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s not like Talbot would have been the only vet option this off season. We got bad value based on his current season and our need.

Fletcher swung.....and missed. I suppose it happens. Let’s see what happens next.
Of course there’s others in the summer, but 1) he’s someone who would be cheap, 2) there’s no guarantee we get any of those other vet guys, and 3) we get to test drive him before we buy.

And I guess the value is dependent on your opinion of Stolarz. I think he’s being overrated.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Whole lot of meh.

Only concern is as others said, what do we sign Talbot for as an extension. Hopefully less than $3m.

Elliott gets traded now when?

Freddy The Fog

Aug 3, 2005
Gave up a so-so injury prone goalie for an older more durable goalie who gets along well with our 20 year old starter.

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

You’d think they just traded Simmonds for Lucic the way some folks are reacting.

Please.... don’t give Fletcher ideas

Reactions: kelmitchell

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Not even gonna bother reading the crying.

Stolie obviously wast gonna play the required games and was gonna be a UFA and doesn’t have any value. Not sure I see the problem of giving Talbot an audition.

And if Hart is happy, give the kid whatever he wants imo.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
People are assuming Slollie had value that would have gotten a pick. I think Stollie has a Brent Johnson ceiling but coming off of 3 seasons with time missed to lower body injuries doesn’t help his value.

Or, people think Talbots negative value should have been worth a pick because Oiler needed cap space. But they had other moves they could have made if needed.
As long as they didn’t take Manning back as part of the deal this much ado about nothing.
As someone else said, “wake me up when Simmonds/Hagg/Gudas has been traded.”

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Stolarz is 25, 20 starts, bad numbers, 2 blown out knees, he had no value and wasn’t ever a realistic option to back up Hart.

Plus isn’t he Ghosts best friend , whoo boy let the speculation begin.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I see some people are still freaking out about something little.

I guess a 25 year old goalie coming off of 2 major injuries and has played 12 NHL games in 2 years, does not have a lot of trade value. Like honestly, what did you expect?

Some people are only seeing 1 side of the deal. The side where they think the Oilers were up against the cap very soon and Fletch should have exploited it.

But they don't see the other side. The side where maybe Fletch WANTS Talbot to be that vet for Hart next season. That side where he believes Talbot can bounce back. You know, the guy who was 4th in Vezina voting just 1.5 years ago.

I will say it again, people would have FREAKED if Stolie was kept as the backup next year and got hurt for the 3rd straight year. Just look at Neuvirth as proof.

We got the guy Fletch wanted with Hart. Only time will tell if it was a good decision or not. Nothing can be determined today.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I think more is being made from this then needed. Did we need another older goalie who has been average? Most likely not. But my guess is they are trying to find a backup for Hart. They didn’t see this in Stolarz, and know Talbot and Hart are friends so they take a chance this year to see if Talbot can be his backup. Maybe in the end Talbot does amazing, wants to start somewhere again and doesn’t come back, but this gives us a chance to get a GOOD backup goalie.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

We're projecting Hart as the starter, right? That means he's going to get the lion's share of the starts moving forward. The on-ice difference that Talbot is going to give you as a back-up is likely to be negligible from what you would have gotten from Stolarz, but he's going to take up more cap space and he has no further upside. He's also coming off some bad years. Stolarz is still in development, especially considering he lost a full year, and was always a raw guy with tremendous physical gifts. And it's not just about this year. He was good in limited action two years ago. If he can play a more technically sound game you have a potential starter on your hands. That's of higher value to me than whatever we're going to likely get from Talbot.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The issue isnt this trade, it is wondering how fletch is going to perform with a Simmonds trade. I am staying fearful until that is done.

At this point, he can deal Simmonds off for whatever pick he can get and I wouldn't care, but then I'm also fine with just letting Simmonds walk at the end of the year. I just hope he doesn't do anything rash like trading Ghost for an underwhelming return.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4