Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
holy over reaction.

You would swear we traded for someone like McKenna and re-signed him. Talbot at LEAST was a vezina level goalie just 2 years ago. He has the ability to bounce back.

Reality is, Stolarz had no future in Philly once he was hurt for 2 years and Hart passed him. And if Fletch thinks Talbot and Hart make a great tandem for next year, I am open to at least see how it plays out.

But I also will wait until I see Talbot's contract if re-signed. I expect an Elliott type deal....around 3 million. But I would only do 1 year as a "show me" deal. And I will judge Fletch more on the contract than the trade.

I don’t think you can go into next season with just Hart, Talbot, Lyon and Sandstrom. You need an extra goalie to be safe, and I would have been fine if Stolie was that extra goalie at 1 year $950K.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Dumb, dumb,dumb,dumb.
Oh and uhh ****ing dumb.
Fletchers first significant trade and its a turd
It's a garbage for garbage swap. Why is everyone so worked up over this? Stolie had no future here, this is Hart's team. Hell, for all we know, Stolie wanted to get out of here knowing he wasn't going to get another shot at being a starter.

Reading through this thread, you would have thought he banged your entire family, twice

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I wish we got a pick out of it, but I’ll reserve judgement on Fletcher until he deals Simmonds.

Also, I think there is a chance that Stolarz told the Flyers he wasn’t coming back next year. He obviously wasn’t going to get 10 of the final 25 games here, so he was likely going to have options. Better options than likely always being behind a 20 year old.

And there was zero chance a Hart/Stolarz tandem was happening next year after the shit show we saw the first 3 months of this season.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
More importantly, has the man cut that damn mop on the top of his head yet?

All I care about.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
It blow my minds how fans can overrate a player that much.

Go check is stats sheet on hockeydb. His age. How many games in 3 years. How many good games in NHL. Stats in AHL. Near UFA. I really dont see value if I'm another GM, beside being blinded by the last 2 games. I'm hesitant even to give a late pick.

If I'm Edmonton I know Talbot is in a toxic environment and still he could pull nice stats. I sell him as more then a cap dumb.

Their is nothing wrong with this trade beside wanting Fletcher to be greedy. The reason why Hextall is not there anymore. When you want to much for nothing you keep your nothing.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Even if they gave us Talbot and we gave nothing back we still should have had a pick coming back. Hextall might have been too patient and controlling to some but no way he would do this deal without getting more in return.
Having seen a bunch of Oiler games it's no wonder Oiler fans are thrilled with their new GM. Talbot looked awful in the games I saw. Stolarz has been far better and if they play him he is controlled for the future as an RFA. Given that we absolutely helped them on the cap and gave them the better goalie (performance this year) that can easily be under their future control for a 32 yo UFA. I don't see how any Flyer fan cant be nervous about Fletchers negotiating skill and decision making. Is this the end of the world of course not its minor, but the point still stands.

HeyHanrahan

Sep 20, 2018
PA
If Fletcher already determined that Stolarz wasn't going to be resigned, then I like this deal. At least he will get a trial run of a Hart/Talbot tandem. That being said, I'm lukewarm on Talbot but he should be a capable backup.

Reactions: Cody Webster

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Having seen a bunch of Oiler games it's no wonder Oiler fans are thrilled with their new GM. Talbot looked awful in the games I saw. Stolarz has been far better and if they play him he is controlled for the future as an RFA. Given that we absolutely helped them on the cap and gave them the better goalie (performance this year) that can easily be under their future control for a 32 yo UFA. I don't see how any Flyer fan cant be nervous about Fletchers negotiating skill and decision making. Is this the end of the world of course not its minor, but the point still stands.
Stolarz wouldn’t get 10 of the final 25 games.

He would have been a UFA

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
It blow my minds how fans can overrate a player that much.

Go check is stats sheet on hockeydb. His age. How many games in 3 years. How many good games in NHL. Stats in AHL. Near UFA. I really dont see value if I'm another GM, beside being blinded by the last 2 games. I'm hesitant even to give a late pick.

If I'm Edmonton I know Talbot is in a toxic environment and still he could pull nice stats. I sell him as more then a cap dumb.

Their is nothing wrong with this trade beside wanting Fletcher to be greedy. The reason why Hextall is not there anymore. When you want to much for nothing you keep your nothing.
THIS!

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
I think I know why people are upset with the trade. It’s most likely because stolarz is 25 and Talbot is 32. I bet that’s one of the biggest reason. HF goes crazy over potential and not for at least a proven talent in the NHL. Stolarz couldn’t prove to stay on the ice for 30 games in a year the last couple of seasons.

It’s a shame because the injuries look to have hurt his play and upside.
Yup, chances are Talbot will be the better goalie over the next few years too. He’ll certainly have better numbers now that Stolarz is on EDM.

Reactions: orangecrush8

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Regarding the trade, it’s obvious Fletcher wanted Talbot, and was the one that came calling.

I do agree with the idea that he probably should have got a pick out of it, but other than that I don’t care too much. This is kind of in line with waiving Lehtera and moving Weise. Moves that don’t really move this organization forward or back (as they weren’t playing anyway).

I’m waiting for an actual deal where more talent is involved.

Reactions: DaphneLion

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Stupid trade. Why trade a young goalie who has looked to improve and would be cheap to re-sign for a backup role for an overpaid bum? Seems like we are doing Edmonton a favor to get them cap relief. That is not a good way to do business
A Hart/Stolarz tandem next year was never going to happen.

That’s not how you help a young goalie and that’s not certainly how you help your team win games.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Charlie was hinting pretty heavily there were others with interest, which is a factor whether people like it or not. That seems to fit without requiring huge logic jumps. In that case, sure. I get it.

Option A: Ageist InfoWars.
Option B: It's Cam Talbot.

Care to choose again?
I have no clue what this means

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
How is it bad value when the whole league passed on stolarz for free on 3 separate occasions this year? I like stolarz but he had no real value other then riding him out as a 20 game back up next year.

All things being equal between Stolarz and Talbot.

Stolarz - while inconsistent has been improving over his last 10 games and playing better than Talbot. I would have elected to ride the better of the two goalies....especially given the Team's hot streak.

The only way this is a good move is if Fletcher has given up on the minuscule chance to make the playoffs. And even in that scenario Edmonton should have had to retain salary. (Unless this is a favor for some future consideration). At the least.

If this was done with an eye to having Talbot here as a mentor - if Talbot plays as well as Mrázek with us and is a sieve and we have to dump him.....? How will that be helpful?

Talbot was available this summer. We were losing nothing by waiting.

Not a good trade.

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Here is a novel concept, ride Hart and Stolarz for the year. Then if you decide getting a veteran backup is the way to go then by all means. Do it. I have zero issue with that. To do this now? Makes zero sense.
Talbot should get a 1 year show me contract next season. Anything more just magnifies the stupidity of this trade.
Or he gets 10 games this year to show himself so we don't waste an entire year next year and have to listen to people bitch app year he sucks.

Get over it

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Stupid trade. Why trade a young goalie who has looked to improve and would be cheap to re-sign for a backup role for an overpaid bum? Seems like we are doing Edmonton a favor to get them cap relief. That is not a good way to do business

Yeah, this is my thought. Edmonton is desperate to get some cap room. I just don't get why you trade for a goalie who is a UFA. Why not just sign him after the season?

I know it isn't likely, but these kind of trades make me worry that Stolarz becomes a revisiting of the Bobrovsky deal.

I wonder how much Fletcher resigns Talbot for.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

That’s not how you help a young goalie and that’s not certainly how you help your team win games.

It doesn’t matter if Stolarz would be the backup next year. Fletcher traded him one for one which helped Edmonton out of a cap crunch and we didn’t get anything for it. We could have had Talbot for free in FA. Stolarz has been playing by well as a backup for Hart whereas Talbot has been garbage. We don’t need a vet goalie this year since we barely have a chance to get to the playoffs let alone win anything.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

I do kind of agree with this, but my frustration with the trade lies in the timing. Was Talbot really wanted this badly they had to go out and trade for him now? Basically being forced to pay for him, and cater to his demands when they gave up Stolarz to do so?

I don’t care about starting two kids next year if they have talent. Talent should override “experience”, especially when the experience is basically a mediocre NHL career.

I’d have liked to see Stolarz kept to the end of the season, and see what he could do with some more games. It’s the first time he’s been healthy in ages, and while inconsistent - he has shown flashes of NHL talent.

I just don’t get the timing, and would have liked to see more from Stolarz, and they had the opportunity to do so.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Sometimes environement change are real. See Skinner, Stall, Domi for Galchenyuk, Dubnyk (Edmonton vs Minnesotta). I see it with 2 outcome where none are bad.

1. Talbot is bad or less then average in a 10 games stretch with still the fact that he is a mentor, motivator for Hart. (Who Hart call before first nhl night? It means alot). Not sign this summer.

2. Talbot is average or above average in 10 games stretch and a mentor motivator to Hart. Sign to a cheap 2 or 3 years 2.5m contract.

For Edmonton the upside is Storlaz become whatever he could never be in Philly and would've never been.

Reactions: TheKingPin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think you can go into next season with just Hart, Talbot, Lyon and Sandstrom. You need an extra goalie to be safe, and I would have been fine if Stolie was that extra goalie at 1 year $950K.

Are you leaving Stolarz on the NHL roster or sending him through waivers to the AHL? At any rate, either the Flyers or Phantoms have 3 goalies on the roster, which usually isn't something you're trying to do on purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad