Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Personally I don’t like Stolie’s chance to be a starter, or at least not a top end one. To me he always looks awkward in net and making saves, I never seen anything consistently to sell me otherwise. Yes he’s had a few good games coming back, but he also had some bounces, and his numbers have dropped in each (granted would have been hard not to). The main thing is he never wowed me like Bob in his rookie season or Hart this one, you could see their potential over a extended period. Hart’s been even more impressive but there was a lot I liked about Bob. That’s not to say he doesn’t have a chance to be a starter or surprise me but I don’t get the feeling from him I got from trading Bob.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Stolarz had a couple of rough years with injuries and sub-par stretches with the Phantoms, Lyon taking over the starter's net.
If not for the series of injuries and Homer taking over as interim deciding to just throw him into the water to see if he would swim, he would be out of the league next year for sure.
Now he was trending upwards and re-establishing some of his reputation as real prospect, so that's an odd timing to pull the trigger on this trade.

Talbot should be the better goalie the next couple of years, and we don't have to plan long term with backups, but I understand why people don't like the way this has been done.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
i am in the camp of "ok with this trade". Stoli, who at some time was our greatest goalie prospect, has lost his starting futures to Hart. With his impending UFA status (I doubt he would have gotten required games here) and clearly no opportunity to be a starter he was not in the Flyers future. As many said before, going into the next season with Hart/ Stolie tandem ( with < 100 NHL games experience combined) would not have been a good idea. So the Flyers have an opportunity now to have a few months to look at the potential back up. If he fits- they resign him, if not- he walks.

Last edited:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
No pick? This is a bag trade.

I am shocked the flyers did not get a pick back, The so-called insiders are saying that the Flyers tried to get the oilers to take Elliot or Neuwirth, but the oilers stuck with wanting Stoly. Unless they had Hart whispering in their ears that Talbot will resign cheap with the flyers(if they want), I do not get the Flyers telling the oilers to bug off unless they add a 3rd or something. Monday at 12 noon the oilers had a gun to their heads with Sekera coming off of LTIR and they were going to be forced to make a move

FlyerEra2010

May 20, 2010
Lakeville, MN
Initial reaction was not super thrilled. If nothing else, I felt like we could have gotten a little something extra since we're helping them out cap wise. Realistically though, what could that have been for an unproven goalie with subpar stats and a sketchy history of injuries? I like Stolarz and hope he ends up having a successful career in the NHL, but timing wise it just wasn't going to work out with the Flyers. Those aforementioned injuries, the way our goalie situation played out this year, and Carter's emergence happening while he is just 20 years old makes it really difficult to be able to trust going into next season with Hart/Stolarz as the tandem, so....fine, okay. Flipping him for a more proven NHL backup quality goalie who just so happens to have a great relationship with Carter Hart isn't the worst thing in the world. And it could be meaningless in a few months anyway, no idea who will be the backup/1B with Carter next season.

Still tough to let go of Stolarz for me, I thought the way he came in and competed hard during the worst part of this season (before Hak inevitably ran him into the ground) was really awesome. His stats came out looking like trash, but I'll die on that hill saying he played well. And he's looked solid in these few games as Hart's backup, too. Best of luck, Stolie.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Eh, don't love it but I guess I understand it. Talbot is pretty durable and so, a better option than Elliott and Neuvirth based on that alone.

I do think Stolarz warranted a pick though.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not a fan. Not that I think Stolie is some great goalie, but he's a jersey boy and I think would make a fine backup for years to come. Talbot is ok and I guess the Hart connection will be good. Grand scheme of things this is probably a good thing, I just don't like it.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Couple things.

1. Even as small on the gives a rats ass scale, it’s part of fletchers body of work. Would’ve liked some sort of pick, even something conditional added on stolarzs games played.

2. This clearly shows how little value neuvirth and Elliot now have due to health concerns.

3. I like the fact that we get a test drive with Talbot. I’ll be decidedly less happy with the optics of this trade if the extension gets signed right away. Fletcher, rightly or wrongly, made the move for the guy he wants sharing the net with hart. Now, he has the time to test his hypothesis and see if we have something or not. Unfortunately, the clock ran out on stolarz to see what we definitely had with him. The flyers could not go into next year with a hart/stolie tandem.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
HATE this.

We don't need a goalie this year. The market for Talbot was not exactly going to be red hot in the summer and we could have just landed him in UFA if they really think they need a vet back there. Then you can deal Stolarz for a pick or something to recoup some value.

But most of all I disagree that they needed a vet. Stolarz is an NHL goaltender, if only a back-up. How much more value is Talbot going to provide there, if any, at a doubtlessly a higher caphit? With his size and athleticism, if Stolarz is able to put it all together, then this starts to feel like Bob all over again.

I would have gone young / cheap in net for the next 3 years and I would have been perfectly content to do so.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
A 1 for 1 swap!?!? Get the f*** out ....really chuck, why the hell should we have helped the oilers? They put themselves in cap hell and here we come to bail them out? Bad trade, chuck gets a negative grade on this one

Im not mad we traded for talbot, because i dont think stolarz was anything special but, we should have made them pony up more

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Talbot, a bad goalie who is a free agent in a few months, is also worth nothing.
But if he bounces back he won’t be.

It’s a gamble, betting on a multi year career sample size being more accurate than this current year.

It’s also betting on the Edmonton Oilers being a toxic environment, that’s at least partially responsible for his poor play (which I’d say is a pretty good bet).

If he does bounce back it’s a great trade for us because no matter what Stolarz didn’t have a future here. Hart is the one we’re betting on, which means Stolarz was on the outside looking in. Plus, it’s not like he had value. He passed waivers this year... literally anyone could have had him for free and nobody took him. He didn’t suddenly gain a ton of value based on two good games this past month.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Bad return value for a player who would be available in the summer for reasonable money considering his performance this year. Not one doubt Hextall would have at least gotten value ( see Lecavalier and Zac).

Cap space is an asset. (Thanks again Hextall) It brought us two first round picks for Schenn. ( unfortunately Hextall and Hakstink both have challenging notions on what to do with the ancillary dead weight the team also picked up. Damn shame.) Not saying Talbot is Schenn. Just use your cap asset wisely. This trade was ^Holmgrenesque ‘ ...

We gain nothing that wasn’t easily available to us later at no cost and help Edmonton. F this bullshit deal.

This better not be a sign of things to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad