Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
He could have been had for anything then. Why not keep Stolarz and risk waivers next year again if you couldn't get a pick for him in the summer? Basically Talbot was free and Edmonton was pressed to get rid of his salary asap and somehow they convinced fletch to get rid of stolarz over McKenna or Lyon. It is terrible.

Reactions: dats81

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
There is quite a history of players leaving Edmonton and going on to be much better. I expect nothing less from Talbot. This could very much be another Steve Mason kind of move.

While the trade behind Mason was terrible, he was a fantastic goaltender here.

I really like Stolarz but there wasnt a chance we were rolling with two rookies next year. Oh and the AHL is about to get significantly busier next year. It was either stick with him or trade him.

Fletch should have at least managed another pick as cap dump compensation, but it is what it is.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Stolarz is worth little, McKenna and Lyon are worth nothing.

Talbots poor season lowered his value considerably, because outside of this year he would've been worth way more than Stolarz.

Talbot had ZERO value give the Oilers cap needs.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
There is quite a history of players leaving Edmonton and going on to be much better. I expect nothing less from Talbot. This could very much be another Steve Mason kind of move.

While the trade behind Mason was terrible, he was a fantastic goaltender here.

I really like Stolarz but there wasnt a chance we were rolling with two rookies next year. Oh and the AHL is about to get significantly busier next year. It was either stick with him or trade him.

Fletch should have at least managed another pick as cap dump compensation, but it is what it is.

Didn't we get him for a 3rd? The Bob trade was bad, but not the Mason one. The whole decision was questionnable since it happened in a short time, but the trade itself was good.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Take Talbot out of the equation and look at it from a pure negotiating standpoint. We gave the Oilers cap relief and a controllable asset in return for something we could've acquired free in July.

Like I said in my other post, if there isn't some sort of future agreement in place this is really bad

Meh. To play both sides, how in the world could Flyers test drive this player after summer? Especially if he was the player they were targeting and moving on from well played out Neuvy and Elliot

It's just as much us getting to try this player out as an extra late pick

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ok. So fletch wanted him and was trading from a position of strength. In the end he didnt take advantage of that leverage at all. Zero.

What leverage? How could the Flyers acquire Talbot in the off season without anteing up a contract?

Chia is not the GM there anymore, so us "wanting" Tbot has as much value bending them over the coals

Fletch can be blamed for targeting this player, but that can't be criticized until this plays out

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok. So fletch wanted him and was trading from a position of strength. In the end he didnt take advantage of that leverage at all. Zero.
Says who? Maybe another team wanted him too and Edmonton had options. Maybe he realized that Stolarz wasn't worth anything either and getting a far more proven player only balanced out because of their cap situation.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Which team? Elliott retained would have worked for them. They needed Sekera to play asap.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Which team? Elliott retained would have worked for them. They needed Sekera to play asap.

And they could have waived 2 useless(Chia acquisitions) in Manning and Petrovic to make that happen. They had options

We targeted Talbot, for the intangibles, right or wrong TBD

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And they could have waived 2 useless(Chia acquisitions) in Manning and Petrovic to make that happen. They had options

We targeted Talbot, for the intangibles, right or wrong TBD
Not for intangibles, for what he could be if he bounces back once out of that hell-hole.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Not for intangibles, for what he could be if he bounces back once out of that hell-hole.

I down played it but ya. My guess is the plan that he plays 30+ games also. A contingent for Hart, not named Elliot and Neuvy who we know where we stand

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
To look at this trade another way, Fletcher's report card on trades is a little less incomplete. What grade would we give him for this "pop quiz" level deal?

D-.

We gave up the younger, cheaper asset, gave EDM cap space they needed immediately, and the reward for this was a goalie who I have a hard time believing is a better option than just resigning Elliott. We got no pick, no minor prospect, didn’t turn this into a bigger deal where we gave up something to try out Puljujarvi, and now Chuck is going to feel significant pressure to get a deal done with Talbot, which I suspect will result in him making more money than he should, based on performance, over the next 3 years. It’s possible that Talbot regains his form, but you could say that about any of the dime a dozen guys who will hit UFA this offseason, some of whom will turn in similar performance for less money. On top of that, now I’m second-guessing Chuck as a talent evaluator and negotiator. This isn’t a “trading for Billy Tibbetts” moment, but I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Didn't realize stolarz had to have 11 more starts or would have been a ufa. He wouldn't have gotten those here.

Reactions: Laveuglette

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Every Fletch trade so far has been garbage in and garbage out trades. Am I ok with looking at Talbot for 25 games if you did not trust Stoli. Sure. And maybe Bailey can be a 12th forward. And maybe we have a 7th defenseman for next year. But every trade so far been car tires spinning on ice going nowhere. Wake me up when Simmons and Raffl get traded ( and please don't resign). If someone is dumb enough to offer a 1 for Gudas run with it. I just can't believe these are the moves people wanted Hexy to make.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
D-.

We gave up the younger, cheaper asset, gave EDM cap space they needed immediately, and the reward for this was a goalie who I have a hard time believing is a better option than just resigning Elliott. We got no pick, no minor prospect, didn’t turn this into a bigger deal where we gave up something to try out Puljujarvi, and now Chuck is going to feel significant pressure to get a deal done with Talbot, which I suspect will result in him making more money than he should, based on performance, over the next 3 years. It’s possible that Talbot regains his form, but you could say that about any of the dime a dozen guys who will hit UFA this offseason, some of whom will turn in similar performance for less money. On top of that, now I’m second-guessing Chuck as a talent evaluator and negotiator. This isn’t a “trading for Billy Tibbetts” moment, but I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

You wanted to give Elliot another year? Or a rookie in Stolarz? That sounds alot like the last 3 years of success

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I down played it but ya. My guess is the plan that he plays 30+ games also. A contingent for Hart, not named Elliot and Neuvy who we know where we stand
He's someone who has proved very durable (which is super important, considering our recent past with goalies), has played at a high level before, will be really cheap, and will work well with Hart.

If he bounces back it's a slam dunk, so we'll just have to see.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He's someone who has proved very durable (which is super important, considering our recent past with goalies), has played at a high level before, will be really cheap, and will work well with Hart.

If he bounces back it's a slam dunk, so we'll just have to see.

Agree on all points, especially durability. This was a good gamble imo. Elliot and Neuvy can pound sand

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agree on all points, especially durability. This was a good gamble imo. Elliot and Neuvy can pound sand
I think it would be viewed more favorably if it wasn't for the recent play of Stolarz, good but a TINY sample size, which has inflated his value in the eyes of some around here.

The rest of this season, before his past 3 games....

1e152c37a065fb043c18a0391730a398.png

Stolarz most recent play has made him seem great, while Talbots recent play has made him seem horrible. But looking at the bigger picture changes things and gives reason for doubt/hope, depending on the perspective. At the end of the day, Stolarz had no chance to stick around next year. We really lose nothing here.

Reactions: flyersfromquebec

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Stolarz is worth little, McKenna and Lyon are worth nothing.

Talbots poor season lowered his value considerably, because outside of this year he would've been worth way more than Stolarz.
Not sure I love the trade, however I agree that stolarz is being very over valued at this point. Was he not on waivers 3 times this year where he could have been plucked at no cost to any team? Talbot if signed to a reasonable contract can provide a proven back-up to hart, with the ability to provide starter-like performances if Hart is injured or slumps next year. A better fit then stolarz at this point. If the flyers have the off season many expect with the money on hand you need a back-up who can play a 30 game clip without a major fall off. Is that a given with stolie? That being said, I believe stolie has a shot to be an nhl starter, injuries and situation made that an impossibility here.

Reactions: flyersfromquebec

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Wow, you are really overreacting. Fletcher just took his goaltender roster (nhl, ahl and future) and saw that with about 20 nhl games Storlaz was probably never gonna be sign as a RFA to be the 2nd behind Hart.

Dont overthink it, Hart is the future and a 65 game goaler. Talbot is just there to make sure "all in" Hart have all the tool needed to succeed. It's even probably with a conversation with Hart that Fletcher pull the trigger. Talbot already had a great season while Storlaz his still a question mark at 25 yo with a list of injury. He only have 57 Ahl/Nhl games in about 3 years.

Anyway you look at it...its still a small trade. Judging Fletcher on this is overreaching. Let's see what he can do with Simmonds and RFA signing before "fire Fletcher" rant. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad