Post-Game Talk: Flyers 5, Penguins 2 - Because No ColePens Analysis Is Necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Penguins could have won both games.

They refuse to shoot and they had horrible goaltending. They went to the net, but unfortunately no one could get the pick to the net. Lines need readjusted.

Defense was abysmal in game 1, better in game 2.

All in all, I have some hope if they can figure out what it takes to win again.

I don’t think shooting was the problem. Defense melt downs were bad.

g5ddacp_d.webp

Reactions: shaler79

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Penguins could have won both games.

They refuse to shoot and they had horrible goaltending. They went to the net, but unfortunately no one could get the pick to the net. Lines need readjusted.

Defense was abysmal in game 1, better in game 2.

All in all, I have some hope if they can figure out what it takes to win again.
The issue is when they pull a goalie and then suddenly start to play proper defense it's already too late and it takes something like that to get them to smarten up. I'll never get how this team lacks motivation as much as they do with the talent in their franchise players and the recent success and the want to win more.

Jarry struggled but the defense in front of him was putrid.

Malkin looks like he would rather be in Florida at the beach. Dumoulin looks like he's learning defense for the first time.

They haven't played in 4 months and had like 2 weeks to prep so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but a lot of the systems issues aren't because of the layoff. Those have been around for 3 seasons slowly getting worse each year.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The issue is when they pull a goalie and then suddenly start to play proper defense it's already too late and it takes something like that to get them to smarten up. I'll never get how this team lacks motivation as much as they do with the talent in their franchise players and the recent success and the want to win more.

Jarry struggled but the defense in front of him was putrid.

Malkin looks like he would rather be in Florida at the beach. Dumoulin looks like he's learning defense for the first time.

They haven't played in 4 months and had like 2 weeks to prep so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but a lot of the systems issues aren't because of the layoff. Those have been around for 3 seasons slowly getting worse each year.

Yep. Hoping Sullivan can dial it up once he gets some fresh faces on the roster because of injuries is a fool’s errand because Crosby / Malkin / Letang will return from injury and he will default back to them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep. Hoping Sullivan can dial it up once he gets some fresh faces on the roster because of injuries is a fool’s errand because Crosby / Malkin / Letang will return from injury and he will default back to them.
Are you missing more in your comment? I feel like you're missing chunks in that mate.

Kapanen back should hopefully get Sid's line going, but the 2nd line is a mess and that's a tough one to sort out because no one is returning from some covid-19 protocol, that line is just straight ass because it's straight ass. Zucker is the only one that looks good, Rust looks slightly better than Geno and that's not saying a lot.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Are you missing more in your comment? I feel like you're missing chunks in that mate.

Kapanen back should hopefully get Sid's line going, but the 2nd line is a mess and that's a tough one to sort out because no one is returning from some covid-19 protocol, that line is just straight ass because it's straight ass. Zucker is the only one that looks good, Rust looks slightly better than Geno and that's not saying a lot.

I’m saying he has a way this team should “work” and it fails unless he can put in young players that skate fast and play hungry.

Sid and Malkin aren’t so it isn’t working and when it isn’t working their wings aren’t going to carry the line.

He seems to be good at coaching the bottom six and young call ups really well, but struggling with players that want to go their own way.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’m saying he has a way this team should “work” and it fails unless he can put in young players that skate fast and play hungry.

Sid and Malkin aren’t so it isn’t working and when it isn’t working their wings aren’t going to carry the line.

He seems to be good at coaching the bottom six and young call ups really well, but struggling with players that want to go their own way.
So he's basically Dan Bylsma'ing the bottom 6 coaching the way Dan Bylsma would have success with a decimated roster, but Sullivan has too many healthy bodies.

f*** mate, such a weird team.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The issue is those defensive problems seem to crop up every single game. Other than that stretch last year before Christmas where the Pens were actually playing really good defense, this team has looked disorganized in its own zone almost constantly for about 3 straight seasons now.

It has to be coaching at this point -- whether it's his system or them tuning him out -- because I just can't see the collection of players we currently have as being *that* dumb that they seem confused by even the most fundamental of where to position themselves in their own zone.

it’s because we play passively now and the other team has time and space. It’s been that way since before the second cup. We try to play “fast” but only in one direction instead of everywhere. We don’t have a defensive game plan except for hoping the puck bounces to us and our transition game is to hope the opponent doesn’t defend the neutral zone.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So he's basically Dan Bylsma'ing the bottom 6 coaching the way Dan Bylsma would have success with a decimated roster, but Sullivan has too many healthy bodies.

I don't think so. Bylsma sucked at coaching and over coached. Sullivan has just been here past his date and probably will continue to be a good coach where he goes next.

I'd argue the other part of the issue is that people talk up Crosby's defensive game. He isn't an incomplete player, but when you look at the Capitals, Vegas, or Boston in terms of the older teams they have players like Krecji, Ovechkin, etc, but their other older players are guys like Stone, Bergeron and Backstrom who are renowned for their defensive play. None of Letang, Crosby or Malkin are shut down guys. And so as they get older they continue to try and cheat and it doesn't work the same as it used to. Sid with his trick passes through three guys and Malkin trying to actually skate through three guys. They need a coach that can come up with imaginative offensive plays.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

This is my feeling. You watch this team, granted it’s only been two games, but it feels so improperly constructed. Like 10 random puzzle pieces that are supposed to fit together. It reminds me of that MJ coached team in 2015 against the Rangers. Had some talent but the pieces weren’t right at all. They made a couple of tweaks in 2016 and well the rest is history.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
it’s because we play passively now and the other team has time and space. It’s been that way since before the second cup. We try to play “fast” but only in one direction instead of everywhere. We don’t have a defensive game plan except for hoping the puck bounces to us and our transition game is to hope the opponent doesn’t defend the neutral zone.
Taking nothing away from anyone, really the more and more you break it down that 2017 cup was a €£#%$&@ anomaly. Really amazing the Pens pulled that off.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
It was going to happen eventually but I'm starting to fear this is the year some of the top guys start falling off the proverbial cliff. It happens in a hurry around 33-34 years old.

Jaromir Jagr scored 121 points at age 33-34 and broke the Rangers goal scoring record for a single season with 54. Jagr lead the playoffs in scoring after 2 rounds at age 36.

No excuses for Malkin, period.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Geno's playoffs, combined with how he's started this season, are just awful. You never know with him, it might be some minor thing ailing him. But he doesn't look even close to being an impact player.

Doesn't help that Rust seems to have forgotten how to play with the puck on his stick, too. He looks more like 1 goal in 21 games Rust rather than point-per-game Rust.

When Mark Jankowski is your offensive shining light, you know something is wrong.

And with this club, they're incapable of falling back on strong team defense until the big guns find their game because as bad as they've been offensively, they're worse defensively as a team.

Oh, and Jarry being putrid isn't helping either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think so. Bylsma sucked at coaching and over coached. Sullivan has just been here past his date and probably will continue to be a good coach where he goes next.

I'd argue the other part of the issue is that people talk up Crosby's defensive game. He isn't an incomplete player, but when you look at the Capitals, Vegas, or Boston in terms of the older teams they have players like Krecji, Ovechkin, etc, but their other older players are guys like Stone, Bergeron and Backstrom who are renowned for their defensive play. None of Letang, Crosby or Malkin are shut down guys. And so as they get older they continue to try and cheat and it doesn't work the same as it used to. Sid with his trick passes through three guys and Malkin trying to actually skate through three guys. They need a coach that can come up with imaginative offensive plays.
Bylsma has the best winning percentage of a Pens coach that has coached 5+ seasons or something ridiculous like that and his playoff win % is almost as close as Sullivan's, that's how bad Sullivan was the last 3yrs, he's 5 more losses away from tying Bylsma over a 10yr career.

Disco was great at getting every ounce out of a wrecked roster, Sullivan has healthy options and he still handicaps himself.

Dan Bylsma NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com
Mike Sullivan NHL & WHA Hockey Coaching Record | Hockey-Reference.com

Bylsma had 6 seasons to figure shit out after the back to back finals (eerie isn't it?) and was fired after multiple failures in the playoffs.
Sullivan is in his 6th season. He's now 4 seasons past his back 2 back finals appearances and wins and has been a failure in the playoffs ever since.

7-13 in his last 3 playoffs - Sully
17-17 in his last 3 playoffs - Bylsma

Reactions: vodeni

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is my feeling. You watch this team, granted it’s only been two games, but it feels so improperly constructed. Like 10 random puzzle pieces that are supposed to fit together. It reminds me of that MJ coached team in 2015 against the Rangers. Had some talent but the pieces weren’t right at all. They made a couple of tweaks in 2016 and well the rest is history.
I'd argue this team isn't that off constructed like that MJ team - Even that team was misusing Perron.

The usage is just horrific. We all have seen Guentzel-Malkin-Rust be magic and Zucker & Crosby show amazing chemistry, but this team wants to cater to that line and instead of making 2 lines good, they've made 2 lines poor.

The 4th line does its thing, the 3rd line is finally existent now, but the top 6, a simple tweak would be incredible. Not only that, Sullivan is choosing to play Rodrigues in the top 6, he took out Ceci to throw in Ruhwedel, so he's capable of taking someone out and making that change, but to marry Rodrigues to the top line and ruin that line while the 2nd line looks way out of sorts is just ridiculous. Zucker has looked good, why wouldn't you just roll Zucker-Crosby-Laffery (anyone but Rod) or even double shift Tanev there and then put Guentzel with Geno and Rust and see if they can jump start that a little?

The defense, Dumoulin has been awful since the Habs play in, actually since he came back from his injury he hasn't looked the same. I would have liked to see them shift things up too, so he swaps MM with MP and that's the only change he can make outside of Ceci for Ruhwedel?

Dan "Dipshit" Bylsma was more capable of changes. Both also loved to make example out of young players.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sucks when you control the play so much 5v5 but still lose by 3. Shots were 33-20.

+++++
- Zone time
- 3rd line is fire.
- Matheson improvement
- Thought Ruhwedel played quite well and was very noticeable. We don't need Ceci at all. Never did.
- Sid 2 in 2. Thought he was skating well and looks normal after the surgery. Needs a right winger though. Should have more points by now.
- Our speed and tenacity on the forecheck was very consistent all game
- CDS was fine and should start against Wash
- Played with a lot of emotion, which has been a problem the last few years
- Zucker was a hell of a lot better, but didn't get rewarded. Still not as good as he can be.
- Guentzel improved but still not the player we remember.

-------
- Penalties, penalties, penalties. 6 of em. Welp.
- Jarry pls
- Malkin's disappointing me so far
- PP1 doesn't look close to organized and cohesive. At least they're 2/8 so far, somehow
- Rodrigues being forced to do something he isn't capable of. He hurt them bad tonight, trying to force passes. He had BIG chances.
- Guentzel playing left wall and Rusty right wall on PP1. Malkin was left wall once too. That pissed me off. Their handedness is pointing towards the boards? Uhhh one-timer options?! EARTH TO SULLY AND REIRDEN. COME IN. COME IN!!
- Passed up shooting opportunities, as usual

Last edited:
Reactions: ownal

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Rust isn’t what one would call a “possession” player. He’s a guy who thrives off of little chip plays and breaking up passes in his own zone and going the other way.

I don’t know how he’s going to fit on that 2nd line if he’s not allowed to roam a little in the defensive end. Sullivan can’t have all 5 players playing below their own hash marks in the defensive zone and expect much offense from that line.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Rust isn’t what one would call a “possession” player. He’s a guy who thrives off of little chip plays and breaking up passes in his own zone and going the other way.

I don’t know how he’s going to fit on that 2nd line if he’s not allowed to roam a little in the defensive end. Sullivan can’t have all 5 players playing below their own hash marks in the defensive zone and expect much offense from that line.
That's why he sucks on the PP too. K that was lewd.

Reactions: canadianguy77

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You know the mark of a goaltender that has lost his shit when at some point in the game he is turned around facing his own goal. I specifically remember these moments with Fleury, Murray, and now Jarry.

Positives are John Marino and the 3rd line. Brandon Tanev is our leading scorer right now. I really hope we can not give the Wild a lottery pick. That's going to be a tough pill.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Jaromir Jagr scored 121 points at age 33-34 and broke the Rangers goal scoring record for a single season with 54. Jagr lead the playoffs in scoring after 2 rounds at age 36.

No excuses for Malkin, period.

I love the guy, but Malkin is not Jagr. Not even close. Jagr is a top 10 forward to ever play the game.

Reactions: Lesky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille