Post-Game Talk: Flyers 5, Penguins 2 - Because No ColePens Analysis Is Necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
With a bit of puck luck we could have had something from these two games but it's not like Philly was playing some amazing hockey and we just came short, they played mostly bad like us but with a few bursts of two or three goals. I shudder to think what we might do against a team with decent D if our Top 6 can't score even once 5 on 5 against this Flyers team. Why can't Sully at least try to move something, anything to get the top lines going? And the PP is literally painful to watch, how can you get so much talent in one unit and yet it looks so lost so often year after year?

Reactions: Darren McCord

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
With a bit of puck luck we could have had something from these two games but it's not like Philly was playing some amazing hockey and we just came short, they played mostly bad like us but with a few bursts of two or three goals. I shudder to think what we might do against a team with decent D if our Top 6 can't score even once 5 on 5 against this Flyers team. Why can't Sully at least try to move something, anything to get the top lines going? And the PP is literally painful to watch, how can you get so much talent in one unit and yet it looks so lost so often year after year?
No puck luck and facing a hot goalie, the Pens excuses for years.

A few burst of 2 or 3 goals? Guy, the Flyers scored 11 ******* goals in two ******* games. That isn’t a burst, that’s a massacre. We have a -6 goal differential and have given up the most goals in the league.

Stop with the excuses:

-we played well for a period!
-Philly didn’t play well either!
-We faced a hot goalie!
-No puck luck, we didn’t get the bounces!
-The pre-season was so short, we will be fine

A new coach fixes these excuses.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I love the guy, but Malkin is not Jagr. Not even close. Jagr is a top 10 forward to ever play the game.

He would be if he as Jagr’s body and fitness commitment, alas 99.9% of players don’t.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Neither of those goals are on Jarry btw. But he looks extremely small in the net and nothing that he showed so far inspires confidence. Flyers kicked two goals in and then our defense is gifting them point blank chances and all of the space in the world. Still, Jarry looks bad, but team was absolutely brutal ahead of him. Actually worse than at any point last season, can´t remember such an awful coverage in the D-zone ever. Then you add stupid penalties, non-existent TOP6 outside of maybe Crosby, and Letang sucking like this and it´s crazy that we even had a real chance in this game. Flyers were really really bad here, IMO. And we still came empty. It´s not like Washington or Boston are gonna play worse than what Flyers showed here. It´s probably gonna get even harder.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The early 2010’s Fleury reared it’s ugly face in the last two games.

upload_2021-1-16_9-23-19.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love the guy, but Malkin is not Jagr. Not even close. Jagr is a top 10 forward to ever play the game.

He isn't Jagr, but he has that sort of ability to put up big point totals until his late 30's. For him it's will. I've always believed Geno having a kid sort of did the opposite of what it usually does. Mario said having Austin made him want to come back and play because he wanted to show his kid how good he was. Malkin doesn't seem to be that way, and from what I understand, his wife splits time in Miami and St. Petersburg, and not much time in PGH. If that's true, that has to be hard for Geno during the season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
True, also, maybe i dunno lottery protect first round pick trades from your downward trending underperforming team?

That ISN'T hindsight

Then Minnesota doesn't do it. If you were trading one of your best players would you give the opposing team the option of continuously deferring the pick if it fell in the lottery? Billy was generous in letting us have a choice of picks between 2020 and 2021. He knew we wanted Zucker.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Malkin's shot is gone

maybe...he’s certainly lacking in confidence rn and I don’t know if that’s it, but his play or lack thereof reflects a lack of confidence, which Sully hinted at, saying “he’s hard on himself when he’s not scoring.” This is why he looks like he’s floating around...he’s in own head too much

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I just like how the team “tightened up” last night because they supposedly learned from hanging Jarry out to dry. Yet last year when the back up cough Jarry cough played he was 100% the better goalie then the starter and it had nothing to do with the team “tightening up” for the backup because they learned from hanging Murray out to dry...makes perfect sense to me

Reactions: vodeni

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
2021 has started off even shittier than 2020...broken wrist, dog dies, pandemic with no end in sight, and Pittsburgh sports blowing huge chunks...how many days until 2022?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Outsider here who has watched the Last two games, so my observations are probably a bit naive.

- Malkin and Zucker appear to have no chemistry. Malkin is a WAY better player, but Zucker is pretty easy to play with if you have vision and can pass, AND draw a lot of attention to yourself. Malkin has all three of those attributes. Maybe it's just a matter of time?

- with the talent your team can put out there, how the hell can you have such a bad PP? Truly mind boggling.

- will a lot of problems go away once Kapanen comes back?

- Bruce Boudreau is a good coach, and knows how to handle star players. Just saying.

- Erod...why?

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Outsider here who has watched the Last two games, so my observations are probably a bit naive.

- Malkin and Zucker appear to have no chemistry. Malkin is a WAY better player, but Zucker is pretty easy to play with if you have vision and can pass, AND draw a lot of attention to yourself. Malkin has all three of those attributes. Maybe it's just a matter of time?

- with the talent your team can put out there, how the hell can you have such a bad PP? Truly mind boggling.

- will a lot of problems go away once Kapanen comes back?

- Bruce Boudreau is a good coach, and knows how to handle star players. Just saying.

- Erod...why?

2 things -

1) From a powerplay perspective, this team NEEDS to be deadly on the powerplay as they get older. That's how they stay alive if they can't run crazy as the main guys get older. So it definitely is a big problem.

2) This team has shown the same thing to every coach they have had. They get a new system, focus and you can see attention to detail in the d-zone. Then out of nowhere they just lose the voice in their head. The sloppiness on defense is like high school hockey bad. These aren't insane assignments or anything like that. Most of the time, we actually have even numbers to pick the assignments up. I couldn't hear the Pens talking at all and there are no fans in the stands. The communication and the comfort of just knowing someone will cover has to be there.

I can't speak enough about the lack of fill-in responsibility. If you want to be an active team, as soon as a d-man pinches, all 4 other guys have a spot to fill in and rotate for the system to work. We stand and watch instead of fill a role because that is hard skating and not easy to do. Layers of defense is not always schematic, yet it is players wanting to fill responsibility.

They need a new voice so bad. I don't know if it will fix everything, but they need a new voice badly.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Everything @ColePens is saying about this team and coaches. Bylsma wasn't some genius coach, but he got the guys to play. Same goes for Sullivan... he got them to fire on cylinders for a stretch. I mentioned this to @Gurglesons, but I think Velluci could be that guy.

Also, McCann is having a hearing for his hit on Sanheim.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
The sky isn't falling for the Pens. I don't think they are a serious contender this year but they should still make the playoffs. Carter Hart really played well in the second period last night that helped the Flyers weather the storm. Sometimes a goalie can steal a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille