Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Claim Noah Juulsen

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They claimed him and they're not even playing him just keeping him on the active roster... The kid needs to play... Why do you even claim him if you don't play him?
Same reason we haven't played Poe and Fleury yet. He's down the depth chart unfortunately.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Same reason we haven't played Poe and Fleury yet. He's down the depth chart unfortunately.
Poe and Fleury are waivers exempt, different situations.

When the AHL will get going they'll be sent down to play.

The Juulsen claim was weird and it's even weirder if they don't play him...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Poe and Fleury are waivers exempt, different situations.

When the AHL will get going they'll be sent down to play.

The Juulsen claim was weird and it's even weirder if they don't play him...
Meh..he'll get his crack at it eventually. It's not like he's some proven vet that should be in the line up.
He's a kid that barely played hockey so it's not exactly surprising they'd favor others who likely look better.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I see a lot of post refering to Kulak vs Juulsen. If there is one to compare IMO is Fleury vs Juulsen and IMO for the small sample size we had last year I believe Fleury was ahead. Kulak IMO is a place holder until Fleury can take a regular spot in my opinion.

Juulsen pre-injury is way superior to Fleury (he was playing nearly top 4 minutes)

I don't know I feel like Juulsen is a case of a player who got injured and then he's not getting the opportunities to get back because everybody is scared of the next injury.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
That was the weird part of them claiming him.

They claimed him partly because he was scouted by their management when they were with the Habs, so they know him. At the time he was put on waivers, he was arguably one of the best options to pick from also.

End of the day though, he’s nothing more than insurance for them. He’ll play eventually, but not on the main squad unless a couple players get hurt first.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They claimed him partly because he was scouted by their management when they were with the Habs, so they know him. At the time he was put on waivers, he was arguably one of the best options to pick from also.

End of the day though, he’s nothing more than insurance for them. He’ll play eventually, but not on the main squad unless a couple players get hurt first.
I know the whole story, it's still weird to claim a guy that didn't play in like 2 years and then not play him... Do you think he'll look good when they finally throw him out there? Good luck Noah...

Habidelidoo

Aug 3, 2005
Let's not pretend he would be playing more here. He'd be practicing with a bunch of AHLers and juniors.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know the whole story, it's still weird to claim a guy that didn't play in like 2 years and then not play him... Do you think he'll look good when they finally throw him out there? Good luck Noah...

The part of the story I don't get is why wasn't he playing in Europe in the Fall???

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's not pretend he would be playing more here. He'd be practicing with a bunch of AHLers and juniors.

He would be in AHL camp and probably plays for the rest of the year there while we allow him to get his game back. Panthers don't have those plans with him and it's not fair to Juulsen cause his development was derailed for 2 seasons at a critical time. Habs had a better plan for Juulsen on a personal level and respect to his career

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He would be in AHL camp and probably plays for the rest of the year there while we allow him to get his game back. Panthers don't have those plans with him and it's not fair to Juulsen cause his development was derailed for 2 seasons at a critical time. Habs had a better plan for Juulsen on a personal level and respect to his career
If Juulsen doesn’t see TOI in the next month, I suspect Fla waives him...and this exercise will have been nothing more than an old boys network ploy. (MB-Churla-Dudley)

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Juulsen doesn’t see TOI in the next month, I suspect Fla waives him...and this exercise will have been nothing more than an old boys network ploy. (MB-Churla-Dudley)
If they do, I hope we reclaim him. Always been a fan of his and he was developing well before his injuries. I still think he can develop and be back to where he was based on his game. He was a stable force which doesn't go away. May not be an offence force anytime soon or at all, but he's solid defensively and a good skater who can transition.

I doubt it was done to subvert waiver rules as it was Churla and the western scout who scouted and drafted him that brought him to Fla. They already liked him and wanted to bring him with them to their new organization.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They didn't want to show his skill so they could be able to waive him later without him being called! 4D chess by Bergevin, but Churla figured it out...
Playing well in Europe would have made him more attractive to potential claimers. There's also the possibility that he didn't want to play in Europe like many of the prospects who stayed put.

It's an interesting theory.

But we had the cap space to keep Juulsen up. As MB is continually saying: the kid needs to play.

I know GM's have to lie to the public. But I take him at his word when he said on 5 a 7 (I'm paraphrasing): I don't know how good Juulsen is at this point. If you know you can tell me. I haven't seen him play. He seems to have put his injuries behind him. But he needs to play.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

They will waive him eventually. He can't sit all season

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Juulsen pre-injury is way superior to Fleury (he was playing nearly top 4 minutes)

I don't know I feel like Juulsen is a case of a player who got injured and then he's not getting the opportunities to get back because everybody is scared of the next injury.

So was Mete at the time.

It's nice about Juulsen, whom I like but, depth on D was non-existent at the time. Fleury may have been seen with a higher upside, BTW.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I might have to eat crow down the line, but I really don't see the big deal with Juulsen getting claimed. He's had 1 good stretch the season before he had his injury, other than that, I've never seen anything suggesting that he'd end up anything more than a bottom pairing d-man.

Of course, I wish him to amount to more and he could. I just don't see it.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I believe the Panthers can trade Juulsen at some point - there will be a market when teams get into injury issues or when they want some playoff depth insurance. He might not have much value but I'm sure the Panthers would rather flip him for a 4th than risk losing him to waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad