Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Claim Noah Juulsen

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm more annoyed they are allowed to do it but seemingly we weren't able to?

Habs couldn't send him on a conditioning stint because it was before the season started when they placed him on waivers.

Also, I believe guys on conditioning stint still count on the 23-man NHL roster, cap included.

Understanding Conditioning Stints
Conditioning Loan
The standard form of the loan lasts for 14 consecutive days. The player is sent to the AHL, plays in whatever games he’s assigned and then returns to the NHL at the end. His salary is paid as if he’s in the NHL, and the player counts against the salary cap and the 23-man roster limit. A team has to have the kind of cap situation that allows for enough players as extras to make this possible.
The Commissioner has the right to investigate the circumstances of any loan, so teams cannot use the loan to evade waivers or the salary cap.
Players must consent to conditioning loans as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I was pissed at the time he was waived and I still am. He is a player the Habs will miss down the line. He should have been kept ahead of guys like Mete and Oeuillet. If somebody needed to be waived; should have been Byron. I said it at the time, before wise guys start cracking off that I'm only saying that because Byron has had an awful year and cleared waivers twice already.

Anyway... it is what it is. We, as fans, are constantly fed the mantra that we're building through the draft. How many guys on the current roster are drafted by the Montreal Canadiens? It's all a farce. Like the whole "no moves" story hours before Staal gets traded for. It's all a series of stories and tall tales. For all the pointless press conferences, it continues to show how little of a vision the current management have. We're building through the draft, but we're not going to give a chance to our first-round picks.

Juulsen's a special case. What I don't get is why he wasn't playing in Europe before the season started. I knew we might lose him to waivers if management didn't think he had played enough recently.

Note though that Juulsen got injured again after only 4 games. Are his headaches back? I'll be pissed if Juulsrn pans out (but of course I'm rooting for him). But it's really up in the air now.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs and Habs13

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I was pissed at the time he was waived and I still am. He is a player the Habs will miss down the line. He should have been kept ahead of guys like Mete and Oeuillet. If somebody needed to be waived; should have been Byron. I said it at the time, before wise guys start cracking off that I'm only saying that because Byron has had an awful year and cleared waivers twice already.

Anyway... it is what it is. We, as fans, are constantly fed the mantra that we're building through the draft. How many guys on the current roster are drafted by the Montreal Canadiens? It's all a farce. Like the whole "no moves" story hours before Staal gets traded for. It's all a series of stories and tall tales. For all the pointless press conferences, it continues to show how little of a vision the current management have. We're building through the draft, but we're not going to give a chance to our first-round picks.

You are right, we should go sign Nikita Scherbak. He's available and we haven't given him enough of a chance.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Juulsen's a special case. What I don't get is why he wasn't playing in Europe before the season started. I knew we might lose him to waivers if management didn't think he had played enough recently.

Note though that Juulsen got injured again after only 4 games. Are his headaches back? I'll be pissed if Juulsrn doesn't pan out. But it's really up in the air now.

Most likely answer to that is that he didn't want to. Many NA players didn't cross the pond.

Reactions: dinodebino

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
You are right, we should go sign Nikita Scherbak. He's available and we haven't given him enough of a chance.

I know you're being sarcastic but I would do that without hesitation. He has all the skills and good size, had mental issues but seems to have worked them out. I would most defiantly bring him back and see where he is with Laval. Go from there.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

Note though that Juulsen got injured again after only 4 games. Are his headaches back? I'll be pissed if Juulsrn pans out (but of course I'm rooting for him). But it's really up in the air now.

Maybe had something to do with the pandemic?!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Most likely answer to that is that he didn't want to. Many NA players didn't cross the pond.

Not to mention leagues in Europe have a rule in place that limits the amount of exports teams are allowed to have. And many teams already have non-Europeans as part of their rosters. So it wasn't as easy as simply sending him there. They would need to find a fit.

And as you say, the most likely scenario was Juulsen preferring to stay in North America.

Reactions: Habs13

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
4 games played? Looks like Florida are trying to hide him until they have to make a decision.

Depending on what they do this summer they will face the same decision in the fall if he is not part of their top seven (which he isn't at the moment).

Think I've pointed this out in the past, everyone the Habs lost on waivers the last few years ended up back on there from memory: Condon, Barberio, De la Rose, Scherbak…

Hopefully at some point the kid gets to play somewhere.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A lot of noise when this trade was made but Juulsen never amounted to much in Florida. I see he is in the minors now.

he was hit from behind into the boards from what panthers fans said, don't know what the injury ended up being up it landed him on IR and since he was out and I assume since he hasn't played that much they opted to send him on a conditioning stint.

I think he's 100% going to be an NHLer and likely a solid one as it looks like he's improved his skating. The panthers have a lot of D, they can take their time with him, he's going to be rusty since he's barley played in 2 years.

Reactions: Habs13

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So panthers claimed Juulsen only to play him for 4 nhl games.
The guy had already barely played the previous 2 years and then when finally healthy he still wasnt allowed to play.
He got 5 AHL games in. Guess they bypassed waivers and sent him there for conditioning. After losing Mete for nothing, wouldn't surprise me if Montreal claimed him back had they waived.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I take it he was brought on to be expansion draft fodder - didn’t he play juniors out in Everett, just north of Seattle?

They are exposing like 4 better D than Juulsen. Seattle could also reach a deal with Driedger to avoid UFA overbidding.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He got 5 AHL games in. Guess they bypassed waivers and sent him there for conditioning. After losing Mete for nothing, wouldn't surprise me if Montreal claimed him back had they waived.

he got hit from behind into the boards, was on IR, when he came back they sent him on a 2 week conditioning stint.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t know, maybe the Habs might have been able to hide him using the same moves Fla used and may have been able to hold on to him. We all know that teams use medical uncertainties that they help create or prolong, to their advantage. Habs are no better, look at all the players who are expected to magically be healed just in time for the playoffs, who hadn’t been playing.

It’s done now, what’s the point.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He was going to be an NHLer before all those injuries. Much better processor than Fleury. Shame. And yeah, kind of a dick move by Florida.
Whatever his level of ‘processing’, his acute lack of lateral skating ability will forever render him a fringe NHLer. Another squandered draft choice.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Never liked him at any point in time. He likely would have found a role as a bottom 6er. I think the injuries have likely killed those chances as well. The asset wasn’t managed well, but I think this is case of where the player was never good enough.

Hard to say because he lost some prime development time, but I was never a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->