Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Claim Noah Juulsen

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Rudolf Balcers was claimed from Ottawa by San Jose.

Why am I bringing this up?

Because they were the team that drafted him..

So I think if we hadn't let Churla go to Florida, likely Juulsen never gets claimed.

When i seen him on waivers i was hoping Habs might take him; but knew we had to many bodies already...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Clearly the NHL and AHL staff didnt think so, and I'm inclined to agree with them as well.

Not gonna throw away a guy who has been a NHL defenseman over a guy who wasn't really one when he last played meaningful time.

The NHL staff of MB has proven to be wrong many times. I would bet everything I own that Juulsen will have a better NHL career then Kulak. Our GM thought it was a good idea to pay Kulak 2.2m for the '21-'22 season, just as he f***ed up on the Alzner contract.

I like Mete but he does not look good at RD, he should stay at LD. They easily could have either not signed Edmundson, or waived Kulak. That said Juulsen doesn't help them win now and clearly they think they can.

they never needed to throw away Mete, though if I had to pick who will have the better career, that's a tough one as I still think Mete can be a solid bottom pairing D but I loved Juulsen's defensive game in Laval, if he's worked on his pivots he's going to such a solid bottom pairing D that perhaps can fill in on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Gyfu

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The NHL staff of MB has proven to be wrong many times. I would bet everything I own that Juulsen will have a better NHL career then Kulak. Our GM thought it was a good idea to pay Kulak 2.2m for the '21-'22 season, just as he f***ed up on the Alzner contract.

I like Mete but he does not look good at RD, he should stay at LD. They easily could have either not signed Edmundson, or waived Kulak. That said Juulsen doesn't help them win now and clearly they think they can.

they never needed to throw away Mete, though if I had to pick who will have the better career, that's a tough one as I still think Mete can be a solid bottom pairing D but I loved Juulsen's defensive game in Laval, if he's worked on his pivots he's going to such a solid bottom pairing D that perhaps can fill in on the 2nd pairing.

I'll have a conversation on how f***ing stupid signing Edmundson is.. I disagree on Kulak, he's actually a pretty good defenseman, so I don't think we should freely waive him just to keep Juulsen around, either.

I've said this elsewhere, but the biggest bullshit really is the fact we -had- to make this decision. Why is a player who has 18 hockey games in the last 2 years, of his ELC, subject to waivers? The guy hasn't played and it is forcing a pretty shitty situation for him because unless Florida is prepared to use him regularly, he is again missing more time to get his game back.. I also worry about throwing him into the pace of the NHL game after these migraine/head issues, let him get his timing back in a league with a little bit more time.

Jul 6, 2016
I'll have a conversation on how f***ing stupid signing Edmundson is.. I disagree on Kulak, he's actually a pretty good defenseman, so I don't think we should freely waive him just to keep Juulsen around, either.

I've said this elsewhere, but the biggest bullshit really is the fact we -had- to make this decision. Why is a player who has 18 hockey games in the last 2 years, of his ELC, subject to waivers? The guy hasn't played and it is forcing a pretty shitty situation for him because unless Florida is prepared to use him regularly, he is again missing more time to get his game back.. I also worry about throwing him into the pace of the NHL game after these migraine/head issues, let him get his timing back in a league with a little bit more time.

Florida has already three steady RHD.... Their left side is weaker with Yandle being shopped around, and Nutivaraa injured. If Gudas can play LHD, Juulsen could be his partner on their 3rd pairing.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Juulsen was a poor draft selection and his development since his draft year provides no support that he will ever be more than a journeyman at the NHL level. We have a lot better options already on the roster and among the recent draft choices, of which Romanov is the first, coming up. That Florida picked him up on waivers is more a reflection of the state of the Panthers team than Juulsen's comparative skill and promise. Let's wish him well and move on.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Well Juulsen needs an NHL career before we can compare him to Kulak.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Nutivaraa sounds like a star Wars character name.

:laugh:

kit.jpg

Reactions: DAChampion

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Juulsen was a poor draft selection and his development since his draft year provides no support that he will ever be more than a journeyman at the NHL level. We have a lot better options already on the roster and among the recent draft choices, of which Romanov is the first, coming up. That Florida picked him up on waivers is more a reflection of the state of the Panthers team than Juulsen's comparative skill and promise. Let's wish him well and move on.
You are just wrong about that. He was developing to become a solid 2nd pair before injuries. Can’t call it a bad pick because of that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't agree, Kulak seems like a pretty good defensemen for a stretch but he's never shown to be pretty good over any length of time. He has a career .16 ppg and is in his prime years coming off a 7 pt season. Yes he looked good in the playoffs so maybe he can carry that into this season and build off it.

If I were the GM I would be more concerned about 2-3 years from now and so Kulak would be on the taxi squad or if he got picked then it solves the cap issues MB created.

I don't know Edmundson's game that well so I will have to wait and see. With Romanov and Evans playing I plan on watching a lot more Hab games then I have in the past 2 years.

Well Juulsen needs an NHL career before we can compare him to Kulak.

well Kulak doesn't have much of a NHL career so far at 27 since he's had just 1 season where he played more then 57 games in the NHL. At the same age,

Kulak - 30-0-3-3 -5
Juulsen - 44-2-6-8 +6

unless Kulak finds consistency and turns into a solid NHLer, Juulsen is at least trending to be better despite how much injuries have impacted him so far.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don't agree, Kulak seems like a pretty good defensemen for a stretch but he's never shown to be pretty good over any length of time. He has a career .16 ppg and is in his prime years coming off a 7 pt season. Yes he looked good in the playoffs so maybe he can carry that into this season and build off it.

If I were the GM I would be more concerned about 2-3 years from now and so Kulak would be on the taxi squad or if he got picked then it solves the cap issues MB created.

I don't know Edmundson's game that well so I will have to wait and see. With Romanov and Evans playing I plan on watching a lot more Hab games then I have in the past 2 years.

well Kulak doesn't have much of a NHL career so far at 27 since he's had just 1 season where he played more then 57 games in the NHL. At the same age,

Kulak - 30-0-3-3 -5
Juulsen - 44-2-6-8 +6

unless Kulak finds consistency and turns into a solid NHLer, Juulsen is at least trending to be better despite how much injuries have impacted him so far.

Kulak is our 6th d, he doesn’t have to be great everyday. Juulsen has yet to show he can even make the NHL consistently.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Kulak - 30-0-3-3 -5
Juulsen - 44-2-6-8 +6

I’m not a fan of Kulak and I agree with what your saying about him but at least he is in the NHL. Juulsen as a lot to work before being an NHLEr and being an Healthy Scratch won’t help him. Like I said in an other post I think Juulsen will finish the season with Laval because Florida won’t be able to play him

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Kulak is such a volatile player I don't know what to think. He looked really good at the end of 2018-2019, playing really sharp hockey, even looking good offensively picking his spots to jump up into play. Followed by 2019-2020 is a mess, turnover machine, making lots of dumb pinches, complete liability. When he is looking like a complete write-off we get covid and the break, and he comes back looking great in the playoffs. Let's hope he can build on that, and his 2019-2020 regular season was the aberration.

Reactions: Mandala

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kulak is our 6th d, he doesn’t have to be great everyday. Juulsen has yet to show he can even make the NHL consistently.

he was showing that before the injury, no question had he not been injured he would have been a regular all along. Management did a terrible job with him rushing him to the NHL at 20 when he needed time to work on his offensive game, but as a safe steady 3rd pairing D that was rushed he was showing he belonged. Yes he had some issues getting beat by speed as his mobility has been his main problem but he's very smart and imo would have done enough to hold his own.

I’m not a fan of Kulak and I agree with what your saying about him but at least he is in the NHL. Juulsen as a lot to work before being an NHLEr and being an Healthy Scratch won’t help him. Like I said in an other post I think Juulsen will finish the season with Laval because Florida won’t be able to play him

I don't think Juulsen has a lot to work on, i think he can step in right now and play very solid minutes as a 6th D that you can put on the PK and trust he won't hurt you. I don't believe much in the offense due to all the lost development time but for a smart player like him, I have zero doubt about him losing his defensive IQ. Of course there is the unknown from the injury in how it may or may not impact his style of play, if he will still be so eager to block shots since that was a big part of his game.

Kulak is such a volatile player I don't know what to think. He looked really good at the end of 2018-2019, playing really sharp hockey, even looking good offensively picking his spots to jump up into play. Followed by 2019-2020 is a mess, turnover machine, making lots of dumb pinches, complete liability. When he is looking like a complete write-off we get covid and the break, and he comes back looking great in the playoffs. Let's hope he can build on that, and his 2019-2020 regular season was the aberration.

agreed as he's been a very mixed bag that shows some impressive flashes in short bursts like the playoffs and I didn't see a lot of his games but he's been very inconsistent in the games i've seen. I hope he gets his shit together and plays well, just for what he's paid I would rather have risked losing him to waivers since I don't care if he gets picked since it helps us with the cap this year and next.

Juulsen I had hoped would be the 7th D as a cheap contract for the next 2-3 years until perhaps he gets pushed out by the next group. Granted that wouldn't be good for him as he badly needs to play but I had hoped we could carry him since we know injuries will hit.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The thing with Kulak is that he is in my mind a #7 who can help you for a short period of time (like in playoff) but on a complete season his limitation will hurt him. The other thing is that he can only play on 5 vs 5, he suck in PK and he’s dosen’t bring offense so what is his role ?

Reactions: montreal

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I see a lot of post refering to Kulak vs Juulsen. If there is one to compare IMO is Fleury vs Juulsen and IMO for the small sample size we had last year I believe Fleury was ahead. Kulak IMO is a place holder until Fleury can take a regular spot in my opinion.

Reactions: Mandala

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Florida named 22 players on their roster. Which makes sense since when Juulsen joins them after his quarantine, he can only be on the NHL roster.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Kulak was horrible last season. He's lucky he was better during the playoffs.

Reactions: montreal

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
They claimed him and they're not even playing him just keeping him on the active roster... The kid needs to play... Why do you even claim him if you don't play him?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad