Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Claim Noah Juulsen

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Another day, another first round draft choice wasted. I wish I could screw my job as much as Marc and Geoffrey
Would suggest looking at Habs 1st round picks post-Gainey in 1973...this is not a “Marc & Geoffrey” issue.

Habs had perhaps the greatest amateur player development guru till 1993 (Claude Ruel) and one of the greatest amateur scouting directors (Prof Caron) who thought Mark Napier had a better release than Mike Bossy, Wickenheiser was more capable as a C vs Denis Savard, and Serge Savard’s head of amateur scouting (Carol Vadnais) who thought Terry Ryan was Shane Doan.

Oh should I mention the only reason Koivu was selected was because JC Tremblay was about to punch Vadnais in the head in front of Savard...

Jul 6, 2016
Would suggest looking at Habs 1st round picks post-Gainey in 1973...this is not a “Marc & Geoffrey” issue.

Habs had perhaps the greatest amateur player development guru till 1993 (Claude Ruel) and one of the greatest amateur scouting directors (Prof Caron) who thought Mark Napier had a better release than Mike Bossy, Wickenheiser was more capable as a C vs Denis Savard, and Serge Savard’s head of amateur scouting (Carol Vadnais) who thought Terry Ryan was Shane Doan.

Oh should I mention the only reason Koivu was selected was because JC Tremblay was about to punch Vadnais in the head in front of Savard...
You are right. Habs management in the past had made horrible drafts. Serge Savard has lived with two good drafts over the 12-13 years he was in charge.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Let’s be real here. In less than three months Juulsen will be 24 years old. In his first three professional seasons he has played all of 92 total games including playoffs. Thats NHL and AHL games. 17 total points if you were curious. Yes we all know that offence wasn’t his game but he has lacked serious development.

Mete on the other hand will be 23 in June and he already has 171 career NHL games played. Also his points per game has slightly increased with each passing season. While most small defencemen who play a game similar to Mete are usually just breaking in to the NHL he is a proven vet. Sure his upside may be limited but he has a lot more value league wide than what Juulsen has.

Montreal was is a great position where they have a lot of depth at a certain position and another team took advantage of it. Sure it sucks to lose Juulsen but his NHL future is unknown.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Let’s be real here. In less than three months Juulsen will be 24 years old. In his first three professional seasons he has played all of 92 total games including playoffs. Thats NHL and AHL games. 17 total points if you were curious. Yes we all know that offence wasn’t his game but he has lacked serious development.

Mete on the other hand will be 23 in June and he already has 171 career NHL games played. Also his points per game has slightly increased with each passing season. While most small defencemen who play a game similar to Mete are usually just breaking in to the NHL he is a proven vet. Sure his upside may be limited but he has a lot more value league wide than what Juulsen has.

Montreal was is a great position where they have a lot of depth at a certain position and another team took advantage of it. Sure it sucks to lose Juulsen but his NHL future is unknown.

Well that's it. The only thing about Juulsen is he missed time due to injuries, not bad play.

He needs to play and if he gets to play more in Florida more power to him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No idea how Juulsen will get playing time in Fla, with Ekblad, Stralman, and Gudas slotted in on the right side. Can’t see them letting him ride the press box when he needs to play..very strange.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No idea how Juulsen will get playing time in Fla, with Ekblad, Stralman, and Gudas slotted in on the right side. Can’t see them letting him ride the press box when he needs to play..very strange.

After the Tampa-Detroit connection.. now comes the Sunrise-Montreal connection.

Wonder how the league will percieve it if Juulsen's claimed back by Montreal.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Does Sergachev really move the needle enough to forgive the rest? Lol
Still has to be counted. Otherwise why bother moaning about Thi picks if you aren't honest about how they turn out and why. We didn't even develop our trades very well. Many here thought Eller was a 20 to 25 point 3rd or 4th center man and he was a mid round 1st. I would argue chuck is still a decent pick because that entire draft class was terrible. But you usually have higher expectations on a 3rd overall.... Though look at Drouin, sure doesn't look like he should have been at his draft position when BG was a 5th rounder.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Timmins owns some of this also.....2009-2016 and nothing to show for our 1st rounders. Drafting and developing has been bad...Therrien-bad folks.

ykmf3.gif

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
After the Tampa-Detroit connection.. now comes the Sunrise-Montreal connection.

Wonder how the league will percieve it if Juulsen's claimed back by Montreal.

yea I did not look at it this way. You may be on to something , what if florida doing montreal à favor ??

Reactions: salbutera

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
You never like losing a player to waivers. I look at it in terms of would we have picked up Juulsen if another team had put him on waivers. I doubt it very much and if we did, most of us would be asking “Why?”. Whose spot would he take in the lineup? Mete? That’s it. Lateral move at best but actually quite a risk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a Dudley and Churla jab on their former team IMO. Juulsen would have not been claimed by any other team due to those injuries over 2 years and they know that we wanted him to play Laval and help our team down there while he gained his confidence back. If Juulsen only plays 10 games this year, they are certainly messing with his career and development cause he missed his age 21 and 22 years which is key for prospects... especially on D. I don't think they did it to jab us solely but I do think they picked him up so they can use him in a depth role in case of injuries.

Hope he rebounds. Juulsen had a rough ride for the last two years after he got two pucks in the face in the same spot in the same game. Juulsen might be happy cause he draws the NHL salary vs AHL salary.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
In regards to Mete vs Juulsen, if we want to be frank about it, Mete is obviously more NHL-proven and to NHL teams (in general) worth more than Juulsen. Personally, I'd rather had kept Juulsen as I think he had more upside and "fits" with the idea of what the Habs want in a defender.

End of the day, the kid was injury riddled, though more due to bad luck than some physical deficiency. Him not working out in this case isn't the team's fault at all, be it drafting him or his development. Not Noah's fault either as to coin MT's term, no puck luck... that is, a puck smashing his face.

While it's hard to say if him getting claimed is good for him as he actually has to play, I hope it works out and he gets a chance. I don't think he'll be a world beater and ultimately, we have better prospects ahead of him if I were to make a sub-25 ranking, but I do think provided he's past his injuries, he can certainly make it in this league.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Timmins owns some of this also.....2009-2016 and nothing to show for our 1st rounders. Drafting and developing has been bad...Therrien-bad folks.
Before "The Intervention", the period after Bergevin was hired and before "The Intervention" is where Bergevin is very much responsible for the failures of the farm system by hiring Lefebvre and his cabal of buddies. After "The Intervention", they went a bit more back to the prior operating procedures, no doubt.

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Before "The Intervention", the period after Bergevin was hired and before "The Intervention" is where Bergevin is very much responsible for the failures of the farm system by hiring Lefebvre and his cabal of buddies. After "The Intervention", they went a bit more back to the prior operating procedures, no doubt.

I'm not too sure where we are now, given Churla's departure. Bergevin addressed it yesterday and said they wouldn't hire anyone to replace him. He mentioned that Martin Lapointe would be assuming some of the responsibilities.

Even though the Habs are a rich team, they're probably observing a hiring freeze for the time being. I'm not too sure how qualified Martin Lapointe might be.

Reactions: sandviper

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Good luck Noah Juulsen, hopefully you get healthy again and have a good carreer...

It sucks that he has been injured that much, he was a good kid, very dedicated and a hard worker...

That being said, with Romanov and Edmundston in, Brook and Fleury both RD too, the clock was ticking for Juulsen in MTL, all the best...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Rudolf Balcers was claimed from Ottawa by San Jose.

Why am I bringing this up?

Because they were the team that drafted him..

So I think if we hadn't let Churla go to Florida, likely Juulsen never gets claimed.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3