Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Claim Noah Juulsen

nodice

Registered Lurker
Feb 3, 2009
Vancouver
The more time that goes by without them putting him in the line up the more I get annoyed by this. Seems really obnoxious to claim a player you know needs to play in the AHL to get back to game ready. They have first hand knowledge of his status as former habs management and should have just left him alone. I am not even upset about it from the habs POV, just from the players.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Seems like the guys they lost on waivers the last few years all ended up back there at some point (Condon, Barberio, Scherbak, most recently De la Rose).

If Florida doesn't play him much before the end of the season they'll be faced with the same decision next fall.

Would think the agent would start to rattle the cage at a certain point he needs to play somewhere.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Jul 6, 2016
The more time that goes by without them putting him in the line up the more I get annoyed by this. Seems really obnoxious to claim a player you know needs to play in the AHL to get back to game ready. They have first hand knowledge of his status as former habs management and should have just left him alone. I am not even upset about it from the habs POV, just from the players.

Florida management team is composed of many ex-Habs employees. They like Juulsen a lot OR they just wanted to get revenge at MB.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Florida management team is composed of many ex-Habs employees. They like Juulsen a lot OR they just wanted to get revenge at MB.
The former is much more likely. He was impressive as a rookie before that nasty near ending injury. He was def on track of being at least an NHL regular. A free pickup was probably too good to pass up for them

Reactions: llamateizer

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Didn't he have to quarantine for 14 days? He was only claimed 17 days ago, so its not a huge surprise they haven't played a guy who hasn't played in ages before he's even had a chance to practice with his new team.

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Didn't he have to quarantine for 14 days? He was only claimed 17 days ago, so its not a huge surprise they haven't played a guy who hasn't played in ages before he's even had a chance to practice with his new team.

He drove to Sunrise so he apparently had a much shorter quarantine ( < 7 days ).

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

On the other hand, Juulsen gets to practice with an NHL team, draw a salary/enjoy various associated perks, and stay in shape in the weeks before the AHL gets up and running. I don't think it's that raw of a deal - although I completely agree that he needs to get games under his belt.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
panther beat writer said he looked good, over 14 mins, 2 shots and 5 hits. was so pissed we lost him, said he would be an NHLer and I think we will regret losing him.

While I 100% would have preferred keeping him, I'm not sure we'll miss him very much with Weber and Petry still locked in for years on RD and Fleury/Brook pushing for that 3rd spot (plus Romanov/Norlinder/Harris all able to play RD as well).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
While I 100% would have preferred keeping him, I'm not sure we'll miss him very much with Weber and Petry still locked in for years on RD and Fleury/Brook pushing for that 3rd spot (plus Romanov/Norlinder/Harris all able to play RD as well).

for the future yes since we are knee deep in D prospects but we'll see what happens with Mete as Juulsen at least at RD is a better option and cheaper.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A lot of noise when this trade was made but Juulsen never amounted to much in Florida. I see he is in the minors now.

Must have waited long enough that we didn't have the chance to re-claim

But big deal, dude never had huge upside and then with all the injuries and missed time, it's a reclamation project for a guy who might be able to tag-team the bottom pair.

Reactions: Scintillating10

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Must have waited long enough that we didn't have the chance to re-claim

But big deal, dude never had huge upside and then with all the injuries and missed time, it's a reclamation project for a guy who might be able to tag-team the bottom pair.

No such thing. It's a conditioning stint because he hasn't been playing. They can't assign him there.

If another team put in a claim for him when Florida did (but higher up the selection draft), he would go there not the AHL.

If none, they have to put him on waivers before assigning him to AHL. Montreal can select him (they're the only team that can assign him to AHL unless he fully clears waivers then Panthers can do it), but so can other teams. It goes by in-season priority now.

I'm actually annoyed that the NHL allowed this conditioning stint. Looks a lot like waiver avoidance. He should be there 2-3 games MAX like Frolik.

Reactions: Habs13

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No such thing. It's a conditioning stint because he hasn't been playing. They can't assign him there.

If another team put in a claim for him when Florida did (but higher up the selection draft), he would go there not the AHL.

If none, they have to put him on waivers before assigning him to AHL. Montreal can select him (they're the only team that can assign him to AHL unless he fully clears waivers then Panthers can do it), but so can other teams. It goes by in-season priority now.

I'm actually annoyed that the NHL allowed this conditioning stint. Looks a lot like waiver avoidance. He should be there 2-3 games MAX like Frolik.

I'm more annoyed they are allowed to do it but seemingly we weren't able to?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I'm more annoyed they are allowed to do it but seemingly we weren't able to?

It might have been an option? I think MB tried waivers at a time he figured he wouldn't be taken as opposed to letting him play 2 weeks in the AHL, get scouted, have other teams lose players to injury, then try waivers.

Taking him was not great considering the situation, but taking him and not playing him is really bad. In retrospect they should have waived Byron but I wouldn't have pushed for that at the time (others on the board did).

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I was pissed at the time he was waived and I still am. He is a player the Habs will miss down the line. He should have been kept ahead of guys like Mete and Oeuillet. If somebody needed to be waived; should have been Byron. I said it at the time, before wise guys start cracking off that I'm only saying that because Byron has had an awful year and cleared waivers twice already.

Anyway... it is what it is. We, as fans, are constantly fed the mantra that we're building through the draft. How many guys on the current roster are drafted by the Montreal Canadiens? It's all a farce. Like the whole "no moves" story hours before Staal gets traded for. It's all a series of stories and tall tales. For all the pointless press conferences, it continues to show how little of a vision the current management have. We're building through the draft, but we're not going to give a chance to our first-round picks.

Reactions: Oryxo and Tighthead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad