Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
CHL Top 10 Honorable Mention
Shut. The. F...... I figured there was a decent chance this year, but I can't believe it's happened already. Decent chance to hold that HM or move into the top 10 over the next two weeks if they can continue their play. Congratulations Boys. You've come a long way pretty quickly. Keep it up.

Reactions: Millpond

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Dear Rolf,

The beautiful banners that once looked so nice on the outside of the arena have exceeded their lifespan. Only one of them even still hangs, and it has become sun-faded, tattered, and ragged. The hardware that the other two used to hang from is unsightly. It’s time to either replace all three with beautiful new banners, or remove the remaining one and the other hardware. As they are now, they now longer enhance the on-ice product, but rather detract from it.

Sincerely,
Firebird Nation
You get something going, I'll sign it or add my email. If not, I'll try to remember to mention it to some staff at the next home game. You're 100% correct. Not sure if Rolf will pop for it but there's MORE than enough kids deserving of those spots and it's fabulous advertising when fresh. Better than the sign if you ask me.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I don't believe this. I don't friggin' believe this! Hey, you guys, listen.
"Firebirds Sought By Florida Retirement Community."
- Oh, come on, Dellandrea. - No, Busby, it's right here.
Hey, JD, Jake, come over here. Listen to this.
"Unidentified but reliable sources have informed the Times Herald
that a St Petersburg, Florida retirement community is negotiating
with the Flint Firebirds Hockey Corporation for the purchase of the Birds."
It's right there, Welly. Look at that. Yeah!
Dickie Dunn wrote this. It's gotta be true. Fantastic! I love Slapshot!

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I don't believe this. I don't friggin' believe this! Hey, you guys, listen.
"Firebirds Sought By Florida Retirement Community."
- Oh, come on, Dellandrea. - No, Busby, it's right here.
Hey, JD, Jake, come over here. Listen to this.
"Unidentified but reliable sources have informed the Times Herald
that a St Petersburg, Florida retirement community is negotiating
with the Flint Firebirds Hockey Corporation for the purchase of the Birds."
It's right there, Welly. Look at that. Yeah!
Dickie Dunn wrote this. It's gotta be true. Fantastic! I love Slapshot!
Ha ha :laugh: Someone watched slapshot ;) Old Time Hockey

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Shut. The. F...... I figured there was a decent chance this year, but I can't believe it's happened already. Decent chance to hold that HM or move into the top 10 over the next two weeks if they can continue their play. Congratulations Boys. You've come a long way pretty quickly. Keep it up.

I knew the Firebirds would get there .
As a long time Attack fan , we are the kings of mediocre.
We've also had a few great years, and enjoyed every second .

You guys deserve a good team .

You are loyal fans, you've got a decent arena, and now a great hockey programme.

I'm pleased for you .

And our local Owen Sound boy, Connor Roberts. Take care of that boy, ok ?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Heard this morning that Ryan Bangs' concussion issues will cause the end of his competitive hockey career. Such a shame if this is true. Good luck to the young man, and wish him a full recovery and happy life going forward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Heard this morning that Ryan Bangs' concussion issues will cause the end of his competitive hockey career. Such a shame if this is true. Good luck to the young man, and wish him a full recovery and happy life going forward.
I was thinking as much and was surprised to see him still listed on the roster. I don't even remember a hit or anything. That's a shame. Hopefully he can find his way into college or trade school with his OHL package (It might be why he's still listed on the roster. Just getting him another year of tuition?) or into a hockey job. Best of luck outside of playing Ryan.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Such a shame for Ryan. Just hope he recovers to lead a normal happy life outside of playing hockey. Best of luck Ryan!

Reactions: BadgerBruce

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Awwwww. So nice of the team to show Cavallin that they'll be a bucket full of defensive breakdowns in front of Popovich too. I don't care what his stats or +/- looks like, McCourt has been a defensive nightmare lately. I mean horrible. He's generating more offense this year but he's been creating way more turnovers too. They need to clean stuff up. They can score but they gotta simplify both ends a bit and clean the D up. I'm guessing Cav vs a tough Kitchener squad and then Poppy against North Bay at home. They've been good about following defensive wreck games with strong performances. Just need to spread nights like tonight out and have fewer of them.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Awwwww. So nice of the team to show Cavallin that they'll be a bucket full of defensive breakdowns in front of Popovich too. I don't care what his stats or +/- looks like, McCourt has been a defensive nightmare lately. I mean horrible. He's generating more offense this year but he's been creating way more turnovers too. They need to clean stuff up. They can score but they gotta simplify both ends a bit and clean the D up. I'm guessing Cav vs a tough Kitchener squad and then Poppy against North Bay at home. They've been good about following defensive wreck games with strong performances. Just need to spread nights like tonight out and have fewer of them.
Have to agree with you doesnt matter who is in goal when they play team defense like last nite. The goalie gets hung out to dry and when that goalie is Cav some seem to lay all the blame on him.

Reactions: Toldyaso

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I think Flint's CHL honorable mention ranking is a little high right now. Not to say we couldn't be there or higher during the season.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Gretz out tonight after getting into a fight last night. Got to assume the only reason he'd be out is because of injury. Anyone know exactly what happened?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Gretz out tonight after getting into a fight last night. Got to assume the only reason he'd be out is because of injury. Anyone know exactly what happened?
didn't really look like much of a fight to be honest. I would be more apt to think he is in the doghouse. Wellwood benched Morgan for most of the third period of the Windsor game.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I haven’t didn’t see the away games, but Gretz in the dog house? And Morgan was benched, really? That’s a shocker.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I haven’t didn’t see the away games, but Gretz in the dog house? And Morgan was benched, really? That’s a shocker.
Just speculating on gretz but Morgan was clearly benched in the 3rd of the Windsor game. Thought maybe he was hurt at first but he definitely had that kicked dog look on the bench. they played so badly defensively in that game I can absolutely see Wellwood making examples to send a message. Considering their effort against Kitchener I would say message received If that in fact is what was going on.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Just speculating on gretz but Morgan was clearly benched in the 3rd of the Windsor game. Thought maybe he was hurt at first but he definitely had that kicked dog look on the bench. they played so badly defensively in that game I can absolutely see Wellwood making examples to send a message. Considering their effort against Kitchener I would say message received If that in fact is what was going on.
If this is the case. Kudos to coach. Showing no matter who you are or how talented you are. He will sit you if you dont play the right way.

Reactions: Packman

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That was a big road win against a very good Rangers team. Easy to see why many picked them to be tops in the Midwest Div and/or West Conf. Can't complain about the 60+ minute effort. Othmann's rocket was awfully impressive from a 16yo. Popovich showed he can bounce back and be lights out once again. Harper, Deline, Kressler all look like key pieces for the future and Pierce wasn't bad either. Minor gripes (at this point) I would have.....what is Wellwood's aversion to reuniting Morgan-Keppen-Wismer? Cody and Ethan have been decent but I think all three could produce more opportunities if reunited. Let's start solidifying some lines and get Vierling a linemate he has some chemistry with that can finish. He makes like 2-3-4 highlight reel passes a night. Special teams need work. They won't continue winning at the pace they have if it doesn't improve, but if does, they're gonna be extremely formidable. Enough of the forwards on the point for the PP. With the D group they have, there's no need for it and Vierling is back there you're losing your top puck distributor as a forward or Ty who is their best face off man and is supposed to be their best forward. I don't like the tradeoff. Zone entry has been a mess. ENOUGH of the gliding through the neutral zone then drop pass play. EVERYbody knows it's coming and has a plan to defend it. It looks like slow motion at the speed their doing it. If we're so fast, get that puck deep and go get it once in awhile. I ain't saying adopt a dump and chase game plan but sometimes the simplicity of that works and D get sick of retrieving pucks with forwards barreling down on them all night. Riley McCourt is better defensively than he's shown this year. Being paired with Lalonde helps and he's picking up points and making killer offensive plays every other shift but he's had way too many ill-advised passes, turnovers and has managed to get fully undressed at least once a night in highlight reel fashion over the last few weeks. I don't think we've seen Ty perform to 100% of his capabilities often this year either. I have hope both start dominating at times soon, it's just a matter of when. Also....they're really low in penalty minutes too. They've done a pretty good job of staying out of the box.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Evgeniy O 91 is a nice find, at the time of the draft I didn’t foresee that great of a player but he was the most dangerous Firebird all night!

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Everybody is all enamored with Oksentyuk. Rightfully so and Othmann got all the draft day love and gets the #2 overall attention now. Rightfully so, but Braeden Kressler is letting everyone know almost nightly he's a pimp too. I do NOT like Gretz being out of the lineup but Deline and Harper are showing they can handle the duties on the backend just fine when called upon.

domi55us

Nov 20, 2017
didn't really look like much of a fight to be honest. I would be more apt to think he is in the doghouse. Wellwood benched Morgan for most of the third period of the Windsor game.
Gretz walked in the arena behind me tonight and he had some type of brace on his hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad