Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Not sure that’s a good thing when the biggest guy in the camp is a goalie
With as many pucks as I've seen fly over the shoulders of Brent Moran, Garrett Forrest and Emanuel Vella over the last few years 6-5 238 sounds good to me. I really hope 1 or 2 of those kids we don't expect to push for a spot. There's a couple returnees I could see doing it but I wouldn't put money on it right now. Also, I'm not exactly thrilled to see Kyle Branch's name atop the scouts list and McParlan gone. OHL (Ontario Hipocracy League) indeed.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
With as many pucks as I've seen fly over the shoulders of Brent Moran, Garrett Forrest and Emanuel Vella over the last few years 6-5 238 sounds good to me. I really hope 1 or 2 of those kids we don't expect to push for a spot. There's a couple returnees I could see doing it but I wouldn't put money on it right now. Also, I'm not exactly thrilled to see Kyle Branch's name atop the scouts list and McParlan gone. OHL (Ontario Hipocracy League) indeed.

Just as I anticipated. I posted a while ago asking why McParlan was no longer listed and it now left room for Branch's son to move up the rank. Honestly, they should just purchase the team from Rolf.....
Looking forward to seeing how the goalie situation fairs out. I am leaning on Cavallin to step up this year. But we all know a goalie is only as good as the team on the ice in front of him.
If we can stay away from injuries and not have to play short handed maybe, just maybe..........

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018

For all of the scouts out there who have far greater credentials and deserve the opportunity, don't look to Flint. It was bad enough that nepotism started this disaster and still today you find it continuing...you REAP what you SOW.

Reactions: HockeyForLife14

General Pete

May 22, 2019
Clarkston, MI

He is atop the scouts list but it looks like its in alphabetical order to me. Probably nothing to important, here's a few thousand dollars. I wouldn't think too much of it.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
He is atop the scouts list but it looks like its in alphabetical order to me. Probably nothing to important, here's a few thousand dollars. I wouldn't think too much of it.

He (Kyle Branch) shouldn't even be on that list. He, along with his brother is in Flint because of his father. You tell me who's credentials should be in Flint, someone like McParlan or "who's your daddy?" Where's the integrity in this organization?

Reactions: TcNorth

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
He (Kyle Branch) shouldn't even be on that list. He, along with his brother is in Flint because of his father. You tell me who's credentials should be in Flint, someone like McParlan or "who's your daddy?" Where's the integrity in this organization?

:laugh::laugh::deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Reactions: Toldyaso

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

pretty sure B. Branch is in Flint mostly due to G.Burnett, whom he worked with/assisted from 2000-2016 in Oshawa, Belleville/Hamilton. Call it old boys club if you must, no different than any other organization really.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
pretty sure B. Branch is in Flint mostly due to G.Burnett, whom he worked with/assisted from 2000-2016 in Oshawa, Belleville/Hamilton. Call it old boys club if you must, no different than any other organization really.

No different than any other organization, really? Supply me with a list of organizations where the owner is under suspension and the GM reports to the league commissioner......who happens to be his own father.

Burnett wanted out, left and has an OHL Championship, Gruden was forced out, left and has an OHL Championship......B. Branch is still around and has two last (10th place) conference finishes.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
No different than any other organization, really? Supply me with a list of organizations where the owner is under suspension and the GM reports to the league commissioner......who happens to be his own father.

Burnett wanted out, left and has an OHL Championship, Gruden was forced out, left and has an OHL Championship......B. Branch is still around and has two last (10th place) conference finishes.
No. I really think Burnett wanted to coach again. He has done a great job improving the team he took over for.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Did you twist the meaning of my post so you’d have an avenue to air out your feelings? You cannot possibly expect to be thought of as honest and objective if you deny the presence of some form of old boys club and/or nepotism in all organizations of all types. Quite simply, people work with those they trust and share common beliefs; and, they hire those people's children because they know the apple does not fall far from the tree.
Without doing any research, I can give you some obvious examples. The cowboys, raiders, yankees, knights, ice dogs have/have had owners, GMs, coach(s), scouts all having the same last name. The wolves would be a good example of old boys club. GM, coach, assistant coach, scouts all had ties from their time with the Carolina hurricanes.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Did you twist the meaning of my post so you’d have an avenue to air out your feelings? You cannot possibly expect to be thought of as honest and objective if you deny the presence of some form of old boys club and/or nepotism in all organizations of all types. Quite simply, people work with those they trust and share common beliefs; and, they hire those people's children because they know the apple does not fall far from the tree.
Without doing any research, I can give you some obvious examples. The cowboys, raiders, yankees, knights, ice dogs have/have had owners, GMs, coach(s), scouts all having the same last name. The wolves would be a good example of old boys club. GM, coach, assistant coach, scouts all had ties from their time with the Carolina hurricanes.

So if Branch worked along side with Burnett for so long (as you so stated 2000-2016) why did he not follow George to Guelph when Burnett left Flint? That was no "old boys club", that was a "my daddy" told me to stay in Flint club.

You can't IGNORE what Branch has done in Flint for the two years that he has been here......two DISMAL last place conference finishes. I guarantee you that even a person with absolutely no hockey experience could have led this team to dead last in the conference.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
So if Branch worked along side with Burnett for so long (as you so stated 2000-2016) why did he not follow George to Guelph when Burnett left Flint? That was no "old boys club", that was a "my daddy" told me to stay in Flint club.

You can't IGNORE what Branch has done in Flint for the two years that he has been here......two DISMAL last place conference finishes. I guarantee you that even a person with absolutely no hockey experience could have led this team to dead last in the conference.

:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Bring something new please. Your agenda is really old. Everyone knows you are only here to just bash the franchise with absolutely no merit.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
upload_2019-8-24_19-28-15.gif

How I feel after reading some of these posts.

There are many forms of nepotism at many levels of hockey. The wings have had dealt with it. It can be good and it can be bad. Flint experience the bad side of it and the league stepped in to forcefully stop it. I don’t agree wth Branch being the GM due to the “league running the show” and his dads position within the league and CHL overall.

I am not sure about how or why he got the position. I can see where someone can get upset about this. There is nothing we can do about it besides support the kids and help them grow and make the best of this experience. We can’t change owner ship/management. Only way we can is if we were to somehow find a multi millionaire who wanted to correct the situation and keep it in Flint. Or we all pool our pennies together and buy them ourselves.

0-0-0 (0 points)
Fly High Birds!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

I can't wait to hear you singing the praises of Guelph and Hamilton this year. Or next year. You can mark this post and save it if you like. Flint will finish ahead of both this year. And next.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looking forward to training camp and hopefully getting away from talking about N Da No. I am most interested in the goalie situation and what we will do. Mostly looking forward to the battle for the backup position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad