Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Upcoming draft.......
I just looked at the February ranking list. Of the top 10 ranked players, 4 have already committed to NCAA and then there is Shane Wright if granted exceptional status. Of the top 50 ranked players, 13 are committed to NCAA.

Flint has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. What are everyone's thoughts on choosing a players who has committed to NCAA.? Personally I think this is a true tale of the players intentions. If you draft them, will they report?

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
I have read the fluff piece by Barclay. Still don't believe anything the guy says.

19 returning players next year is being thrown around in the article and was mentioned at the Coach's show last week. 24 current players on the roster including the three goalies. Only going to lose two players to graduation in Vella and Nilsen. That brings the total down to 22. If you leave Morrison out that is 21. I still cannot get to 21 without current players not being asked to return. With only two possible OA's in Phibbs and Durham for next year. Are some of the pieces we just picked up and used cards on going to be sent down next year ( Pierce, Deline)

Seems fishy to me already.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
With all the injuries they've had this year, and potentially missing kids for U17's and WJC I'd be looking at taking 14-15 forwards, 7-8 D and 2 plus an emergency goalie into next year. There's a few different ways to get to that number. You'd have to think they'll be adding at least two 16yo's and an Import along with Power being the wildcard. Possibly even a drafted '02 earning a spot. They've shown no aversion to just releasing kids (Duchesne, Tyler Johnson, Littlejohn) but there's not really anybody in this group I'd wanna see released without at least some return. It'll be interesting. I'm fairly certain Rolf regains control of the franchise and I hope one of the first moves he makes is to find a new GM.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Missed that one, thanks for clarifying. Is he injured, haven’t seen him in the line up lately?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Missed that one, thanks for clarifying. Is he injured, haven’t seen him in the line up lately?
Deline is what is referred to as an "Affiliated Player" or "AP" right now. Basically, he's someone that they call up and send down when they need to fill a hole. Hennig has said in broadcasts that Deline preferred to go the AP route and remain at home to complete his school year rather than to move to Flint full-time and probably spend a significant amount of time as a healthy scratch.

At least that's how I've heard Hennig explain it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
With all the injuries they've had this year, and potentially missing kids for U17's and WJC I'd be looking at taking 14-15 forwards, 7-8 D and 2 plus an emergency goalie into next year. There's a few different ways to get to that number. You'd have to think they'll be adding at least two 16yo's and an Import along with Power being the wildcard. Possibly even a drafted '02 earning a spot. They've shown no aversion to just releasing kids (Duchesne, Tyler Johnson, Littlejohn) but there's not really anybody in this group I'd wanna see released without at least some return. It'll be interesting. I'm fairly certain Rolf regains control of the franchise and I hope one of the first moves he makes is to find a new GM.

You think David Branch will put his 2 sons out of work?? Guaranteed job for 2 more years.....

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I can see a couple Flint players who could be released. Never good seeing kids getting released, but it could happen with four rookies coming aboard this summer.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I can see a couple Flint players who could be released. Never good seeing kids getting released, but it could happen with four rookies coming aboard this summer.

Just curious who you think might be on the bubble?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Just curious who you think might be on the bubble?
I would just as soon not share names yet because I want them to play hard to the end and not worry or their families, about seeing their names here, but there are 2-3 possible candidates.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Upcoming draft.......
I just looked at the February ranking list. Of the top 10 ranked players, 4 have already committed to NCAA and then there is Shane Wright if granted exceptional status. Of the top 50 ranked players, 13 are committed to NCAA.

Flint has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. What are everyone's thoughts on choosing a players who has committed to NCAA.? Personally I think this is a true tale of the players intentions. If you draft them, will they report?
I'm fine with taking NCAA committed players under two scenarios. 1. WELLWOOD or WELLWOOD and STEFAN/McPARLAN have talked to the player and family/agent and they've confirmed they'll report. They did it with Gretz and Harris and they could do it again. I do NOT trust that being left up to BB though. 2. There's a belief/feeling/info that a kid might be considering the OHL and they take one or two flyers on them later in the draft. Say, one in rounds 3-5 and one after that. No flyers with your first 3 picks and no more than two after that. Unfortunately, that's just the position they're in right now and it's a difficult hole to dig yourself out of. It can be done but it will not happen overnight.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Cant believe they would get rid of Gretz unless he wanted to be traded. Would think he is very much part of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->