Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Not sure but I think as long as the OHL is in control Rolf cannot interfere with the operations of the team which would include playing his cards right. I think he gives them a certain amount of money to run the team and he cant do anything else. But again I am not 100% sure on all the stipulations.
I am glad to hear that even though his son will no longer be playing he is still committed to keeping the team in Flint.
Rolf will be regaining control this summer. He told me that himself and I have no reason to doubt him. MJ5 is right though, the Shane Wright sweepstakes has truly been over for a little while. I think some of us have been posting that for close to 3 months. Everybody did truly play a strong game tonight despite the shot totals. Probably the best I've ever seen Vella play and the boys just lost to Championship caliber team. They didn't self-destruct late and had their chances but Kooy was stellar too. Vierling and Harris once again on the PK being disruptive and drawing one themselves to negate the Knights PP. If tonight was the only time you'd seen Flint play this year you'd think "Oh yeah, I see why Vierling was taken 2nd overall." Why Keppen was taken 10th, Morgan 12th and Wismer....the difference between 2019 Jack Wismer and pre-2019 Wismer is mind blowing. Kid is for real now. That Vierling-Holmes-Harris line looks ok too.

Reactions: LDN

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think the rumors of an ECHL team are more of a running joke these days.. I'll lose my mind laughing if it actually happens, but I'd put my money against it. Firebirds stay in Flint.

Nothing personal, but rooting for you guys the next few games vs. The Spits. I'd love for Windsor to get a Top 4 Pick in the draft, I just don't know if Erie has it in them. I'd imagine Kingston takes Wright, Flint takes a Top Forward, Windsor takes the Top D man, granted, we can lose out.

If only we could trade Flint coaches in the offseason. Seems like Wellwood turned it around and pretty quick. Hoping to make it out for a Chocolate Chip Cookie, Some Dippin Dots and a mediocre (at best) hockey game tomorrow at the Dort!
Don't know if Clarke will fall all the way to the Spits but I don't see Kingston passing on Wright or Flint or Erie taking a D.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I think the rumors of an ECHL team are more of a running joke these days.. I'll lose my mind laughing if it actually happens, but I'd put my money against it. Firebirds stay in Flint.
Nothing personal, but rooting for you guys the next few games vs. The Spits. I'd love for Windsor to get a Top 4 Pick in the draft, I just don't know if Erie has it in them. I'd imagine Kingston takes Wright, Flint takes a Top Forward, Windsor takes the Top D man, granted, we can lose out.

If only we could trade Flint coaches in the offseason. Seems like Wellwood turned it around and pretty quick. Hoping to make it out for a Chocolate Chip Cookie, Some Dippin Dots and a mediocre (at best) hockey game tomorrow at the Dort!
Why would you want to trade the coaches.? I think they have been doing a great job with what they have been handed. This team doesn't need more turmoil. They need consistency.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Why would you want to trade the coaches.? I think they have been doing a great job with what they have been handed. This team doesn't need more turmoil. They need consistency.
No, he's a Spits fan. The Windsor boys are all about Wellwood returning home to coach the Spits and replace Letowski. I don't think their chances are good right now.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Vella was absolutely lights out tonight. I am fortunate to sit behind the net where the Knights shoot twice and that is on every of The better visiting goalie performances I've seen. Well deserved ovation post game from the crowd in the house of green. :highclap:

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That makes sense....
With all due respect to Dale Hunter, I don't know that I'd trade Wellwood for any coach in the OHL right now. He's so young and done a real good job of getting the boys to buy in. There's still a ways to go but he's only been a HC for like 40 games. I think he'll develop and improve too.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Vella was absolutely lights out tonight. I am fortunate to sit behind the Hernandez where the Knights shoot twice and that is on every of The better visiting goalie performances I've seen. Well deserved ovation post game from the crowd in the house of green. :highclap:
Nice to see Kooy go down to talk to him post game too.

Reactions: sbpointer

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
That was an awesome game! Lots of fun to watch! Wow Flint looked like a playoff team

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
From the first game Flint was at the Bud this season I've said Flint were a better team than their record indicates. The goaltending from Cavallin (sp?) that game was outstanding and Vella's performance last night was even better. One of the most entertaining games I've seen all year and the Knights / fans appreciation of Vella's performance at the end of the game was touching.
I wish him all the best in the future.

Reactions: three dog night

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I would be happy with Mason McTavish, Connor Lockhart, or Brennan Orthman. Right now leaning towards McTavish because not only his offensive skills and his supposed NHL level shot, but his physical play which you do not always see in centermen. He is already pushing 200 lbs and 6’ tall. Reminds me of another Ethan Keppen. Flint is in a good spot with the 2nd selection. PS: great effort last night against a premier OHL team.

Reactions: dirty12

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
With all due respect to Dale Hunter, I don't know that I'd trade Wellwood for any coach in the OHL right now. He's so young and done a real good job of getting the boys to buy in. There's still a ways to go but he's only been a HC for like 40 games. I think he'll develop and improve too.

If I was Flint I’d do anything to hold onto Wellwood as long as possible! I’m not sure on the coaching contracts in the OHL in terms of pay/condition/length, but after seeing Wellwood turn the Firebirds around, I’m sure other teams will have interest.
I’m not saying Flint couldn’t survive without him, just from what I’ve seen and heard, it appears he not only changed the product on the ice but helped morale in the locker room. Plus being as young as he is, there will be some inexperience that comes with it, but it could lead to great things in the ice as well.
Seems like Flint made a really good choice bringing him in!

As far as Windsor’s placement. I see them getting 1 maybe 2 points in their 2 games with Flint. Flint has looked better lately, and Windsor has been struggling hard. Not to mention, Flint has had Windsor’s number this year. Maybe the spits have evened it out, but I’m pretty sure Windsor was 2 of Flints first 4/5 wins. Flint also has the Soo and Sarnia, which I don’t see them winning. Probably Sarnia, just because I want that draft pick lol.

Really hoping to see both windsor/flint games, as it seems like morgan is doing well for you guys, and well I just gotta see what he’s doing differently in a birds uniform.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
It's overager night, why wouldn't Wellwood play Vella? I know he may be tired from last night but I think it would have been fitting.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
It's overager night, why wouldn't Wellwood play Vella? I know he may be tired from last night but I think it would have been fitting.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe because he faced 50+ shots 24 hours ago?
I assume they let Cavallan take the game tonight then have Vella close out the regular season at home.

Goaltending didn’t appear to be an issue for Flint tonight! Looks like a great weekend between the pipes for you guys. The team has come along way from the start of this season!

Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Team defense....TEAM defense has been more of problem this year than goaltending. Sure, the goalies have had some rough nights too but when you're getting shelled and back-doored the way they have it's gonna throw your game off. Wellwood and the boys have slowly improved that and it's starting to show. Durham decides he's gonna creep close to 40g's. Vierling starts to look like a 16yo top 5 pick. Wismer becomes a key component of the team's most productive line. Now all of a sudden Hunter Holmes decides to go off and start making plays? I don't know what took so long or what the issues were but this is starting to look like a team with a lot of potential. I can't wait to see them hit reset and get a fresh start with Wellwood next year. Oh, and healthy. I'd like to see more than 3/4 of the team healthy on a nightly basis too.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Sounds like a great showing last night. I missed it for the basketball game.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Finish strong and get ready for the draft in April. However, I do not have a lot of confidence in Barclay Branch with our Priority Selection or Import Selection in June. If Dave McParlan, our top scout, is given the resources and makes both selections, I will feel better.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Initially, I was hoping for McTavish or Lockhart. Since then I've started to lean towards Othmann after talking with an NHL scout who watches the GTHL. He seems to have moved himself into #2 on a lot of lists anyway. I was thinking about it though....Elite forwards are a little easier to come by than Elite D. Flint is set with a solid D group NEXT year but if Busby, Kolyachonok and/or McCourt graduate after next year, that thins things out a bit. It would be nice to have a stud 17yo D there to step in and fill that gap for 2020-2021. I'm no longer thinking "No Way" on Brandt Clarke. Yes, Flint needs Forwards next year more than they need another D and a jam-packed D group but there are ways around that. I think I'll be ok with any of the top 5 kids as long as they report. Unfortunately Flint doesn't have their own 2nd round pick, they have Hamilton's and I don't think Ryan Winterton is going to fall that far for them to grab him in the 2nd round.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Initially, I was hoping for McTavish or Lockhart. Since then I've started to lean towards Othmann after talking with an NHL scout who watches the GTHL. He seems to have moved himself into #2 on a lot of lists anyway. I was thinking about it though....Elite forwards are a little easier to come by than Elite D. Flint is set with a solid D group NEXT year but if Busby, Kolyachonok and/or McCourt graduate after next year, that thins things out a bit. It would be nice to have a stud 17yo D there to step in and fill that gap for 2020-2021. I'm no longer thinking "No Way" on Brandt Clarke. Yes, Flint needs Forwards next year more than they need another D and a jam-packed D group but there are ways around that. I think I'll be ok with any of the top 5 kids as long as they report. Unfortunately Flint doesn't have their own 2nd round pick, they have Hamilton's and I don't think Ryan Winterton is going to fall that far for them to grab him in the 2nd round.
We should still get a decent pick in the 2nd (you are probably right on Winerton), plus they really need to hit on their import pick this year.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
What about this year? Out goalies have faced ridiculous amounts of shots this year on more than one occasion, compared to the opponents. I would think the team should be focusing more on acquiring a D then a Forward. Seeing Wellwood changed shortly after he joined and started working with the D only makes me wonder if that’s where he feels the team needs the most attention is on the backend.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
... Flint needs Forwards next year more than they need another D and a jam-packed D group...
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I look at their current D group going forward, and I see three guys who will be rebounding from lengthy injuries (Busby, Gretz, Bianconi), three guys who were spare parts on their previous teams (Kolyachonok, McCort, Bangs), and Deline, who let's face it, if he proves to be anything more than just a guy who was willing to come and suit up for Flint when no one else would, is a bonus.

I'm not saying that this group can't be very good next year. I am saying that there's a lot of question marks. Even with this group + Nilsen, how many times did they end up playing only 4 or 5 defensemen in a game.....A LOT. Not exactly "jam-packed".

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I look at their current D group going forward, and I see three guys who will be rebounding from lengthy injuries (Busby, Gretz, Bianconi), three guys who were spare parts on their previous teams (Kolyachonok, McCort, Bangs), and Deline, who let's face it, if he proves to be anything more than just a guy who was willing to come and suit up for Flint when no one else would, is a bonus.

I'm not saying that this group can't be very good next year. I am saying that there's a lot of question marks. Even with this group + Nilsen, how many times did they end up playing only 4 or 5 defensemen in a game.....A LOT. Not exactly "jam-packed".
They played with 4/5 Dmen because of injury. Give them the summer to get healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille