Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
If that's the case, there's currently 23 players listed on the roster, so 4 would not be here. I would think those 4 would be:

Nilsen (aged out)
Vella (aged out)
Phibbs (would be an OA, don't see him returning in that role)
Deline (Affiliated Player status)

I don't believe the team would have already made any decisions on anyone else as long as they are on the roster and eligible to return next year. Also, the idea that the team wouldn't have Vierling back is ridiculous. The only way would be if they trade him. To think they would waive him is silly.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
If that's the case, there's currently 23 players listed on the roster, so 4 would not be here. I would think those 4 would be:

Nilsen (aged out)
Vella (aged out)
Phibbs (would be an OA, don't see him returning in that role)
Deline (Affiliated Player status)

I don't believe the team would have already made any decisions on anyone else as long as they are on the roster and eligible to return next year. Also, the idea that the team wouldn't have Vierling back is ridiculous. The only way would be if they trade him. To think they would waive him is silly.

For the record I never said they would wave Vierling..... My list was just meant to start discussions on who people think will be on the team next year from the ones they have now. All reports I have seen Wellwood and Branch have said they will have 19 players that are eligible to return. Does not mean anyone has made any decisions.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
For the record I never said they would wave Vierling..... My list was just meant to start discussions on who people think will be on the team next year from the ones they have now. All reports I have seen Wellwood and Branch have said they will have 19 players that are eligible to return. Does not mean anyone has made any decisions.
Okay, so two obvious discussion starters are that you don't see Vierling or Holmes here next year. What do you predict happening with them, and why?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
When they say they will have 19 back.

I am assuming they aren't counting any of the OA candidates (Durham and Phibbs) and then the 2 current OA's (Vella, Nilsen)

That would give them 19 guys back. Obviously most people hope Durham comes back, but after a break out season maybe he gets a deal some where.

Durham could choose to play else where, I for one, hope he comes back. They control the rights to the other 19 tho.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, who is "they"???
Wellwood has mentioned it multiple times. At the Coach's Show in particularly at Timothy's Pub. I have heard it from Branch as well at the Season Ticket Forum thing.
Not sure it was mentioned at the Winterfest event.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Okay, so two obvious discussion starters are that you don't see Vierling or Holmes here next year. What do you predict happening with them, and why?
I just think they would be best traded to a team that can develop them more.
Again just my opinion.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Have been thinking about next year and what the Firebirds could look like. Here is what I think. Opinions?

Bangs, RyanStill on the fence
Bianconi, MichaelY
Busby, DennisY
Cavallin, LukeY
Deline, TylerN
Dellandrea, TyY
Durham, JakeY
Gretz, MarcusY
Harris, KyleN
Holmes, HunterN
Keppen, EthanY
Kolyachonok, VladislavY
McCourt, RileyY
Morgan, CodyY
Phibbs, JackN
Pierce, EmmetN
Roberts, ConnorY
Uba, EricY
Vierling, EvanN
Winterton, JacobY
Wismer, JackY
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wellwood, EricY
Branch, BarclayY
Findlay, Darcy Y
Rutledge, GarrettY
Stefan, Joe Y
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hockey61fan, I get it. More of a conversation piece than anything. For the record, I agree with a couple of your guesses, while disagreeing with a couple others. We all know there will be some changes and new faces on board.

Reactions: Hockey61fan

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Not liking the 3rd period. How can you go up 5-3 and allow them to score 26 seconds later to close the gap. Cmon boys.... consistency.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'd like to see a full year under Wellwood and the staff before really assessing their ability to develop kids. Tonight was another night where those kids some feel are on the bubble showed their potential. Pierce would be on pace for a 20 goal season if he had played the entire season. That's from a 17yo who has played 19 games. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress next year. Harris with a goal and an assist. What I found more impressive was Wellwood throwing Harris and Vierling out there together right away on the PK. That says a LOT for the coach to go with a 16yo and 17yo together on the kill. They didn't get scored on and were disruptive. Vierling? C'mon, we were all hard on him at some point this season, but he's been improving every game. Two primary assists tonight on slick feeds and his best pass of the night isn't even on the scoresheet. That was a perfect dish on the two on one early in the game. I know it's hard after 4 years of struggles and mistakes, but be patient. There's talent on this roster. It's just young and needs to grow and be supplemented with a game breaker or two.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I'd like to see a full year under Wellwood and the staff before really assessing their ability to develop kids. Tonight was another night where those kids some feel are on the bubble showed their potential. Pierce would be on pace for a 20 goal season if he had played the entire season. That's from a 17yo who has played 19 games. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress next year. Harris with a goal and an assist. What I found more impressive was Wellwood throwing Harris and Vierling out there together right away on the PK. That says a LOT for the coach to go with a 16yo and 17yo together on the kill. They didn't get scored on and were disruptive. Vierling? C'mon, we were all hard on him at some point this season, but he's been improving every game. Two primary assists tonight on slick feeds and his best pass of the night isn't even on the scoresheet. That was a perfect dish on the two on one early in the game. I know it's hard after 4 years of struggles and mistakes, but be patient. There's talent on this roster. It's just young and needs to grow and be supplemented with a game breaker or two.

Vierlings assist to Holmes was a beaut, totally slowed it all down where he had time and space to just go 1 on 1 with the goalie and then found Holmes. Not sure how anyone can't be excited about that kids future. Kid is smooth with the puck.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Everyone developes at a different pace. There is a lot of talent on this team with great potential. People just need to be patient and give Wellwood a full year with Flint. What surprising is Harris gets 1 G and 1 A yet gets no star ... thought he was deserving of one tonight.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
A lot of talent on the roster and next year looks very promising. Vierling really has shown why he was a top pick in the last draft as he seems to be improving every day. Considering what the team is bringing back and adding an impact high pick from this years draft, along with a good selection in the import draft, the Firebirds look to be on the rise.

Reactions: TcNorth

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
I think Verling is going to be very good in the future. Think he can develop just fine right here in Flint. One think he needs is someone on his line that can finish his great centering passes. Thought he was great on the PK last nite. I would bring back Pierce next year. He has great hands around the net. Needs to upgrade his skating some more.and use his size more. Think the future looks better than i thought back in December.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think Verling is going to be very good in the future. Think he can develop just fine right here in Flint. One think he needs is someone on his line that can finish his great centering passes. Thought he was great on the PK last nite. I would bring back Pierce next year. He has great hands around the net. Needs to upgrade his skating some more.and use his size more. Think the future looks better than i thought back in December.
Yes, Pierce could definitely work on his skating some. I think you could see some improvement come just naturally as kids his size often take a little longer to round into form. I would also like to see him play a heavier game. He did seem to be trying to lay the body a bit more last night. Just not a lot behind his checks right now. He does have good hands though and I've been impressed with his attention to defense and his vision too. He's not Adam Oates but he's pretty good at distributing the puck too. It's a new game and a new era in the OHL but Flint is still a bit undersized without a lot of grit in their game right now. Keppen will continue to develop into a force, Roberts and Gretz returning will help a lot but I'd like to see Pierce kept around and see if they can add some muscle to his game.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Gretz helping with the play by play last night - maybe a secondary career for him later on down the road.
I noticed that watching the highlights. Did you watch the entire game and if you did, did you get the impression he was unhappy or a kid who has demanded to be traded?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I noticed that watching the highlights. Did you watch the entire game and if you did, did you get the impression he was unhappy or a kid who has demanded to be traded?
That kid has been in the house for every game all season long, even though he hasn't been able to play most of it. HIS PARENTS are in the house for every game, even though he's not playing....I don't see any way that both he and his family aren't 100% on board and committed to the Firebirds.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Did not watch the entire game - flipped between all 3 games. Sounded real happy and had good things to say about his team mates and coach. Seemed to really enjoy being around the team. Did not come across as smoke and mirrors, seemed genuine.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
So Na Da No was right. From a longevity standpoint, I think a OHL franchise makes more sense than a ECHL franchise playing in a 4,000 seat arena and because of the budget it would require.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad