Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Let's face it, when your 19th out of 20 teams, you have needs. I can see both of your points. I have been thinking definitely a goal scorer, but I can understand a top defenseman if not with our 1st pick, then your 2nd pick.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
They played with 4/5 Dmen because of injury. Give them the summer to get healthy.
You're proving my point for me. When your D core has been so injury prone that you're regularly playing only 4 or 5 D-men, you do not have a jam-packed situation at that position.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
One year makes a big difference. Next season Forementon, Frost, Tippett, Ratcliffe, Suzuki, ... all the OA won’t be dominating your 17-18 yr olds turning 18-19 for next season. It will be Dellandrea, Durham, Roberts, Busby dominating

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
While I think the team could use an upgrade on defense I think Othmann will be the pick...but I wouldn’t be surprised if they used the import pick on defense

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hard to pass on Clarke. Trade for OA scoring LW & swing for the fences in import draft

house hockey 98

Apr 8, 2018
Flint with another 2 pick, not another Vierling.. people on here grasp for anything with that pick and say he is now playing like a top 5 pick that is just desperate. Flint will always be Flint. if they spend money you get Perfetti, what is the difference between Flint and Saginaw? a owner that will spend the money. cost them just to get Wilde from the US program. Flint needs a better pick, spend the money and get the Duke kid from Detroit area

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Flint with another 2 pick, not another Vierling.. people on here grasp for anything with that pick and say he is now playing like a top 5 pick that is just desperate. Flint will always be Flint. if they spend money you get Perfetti, what is the difference between Flint and Saginaw? a owner that will spend the money. cost them just to get Wilde from the US program. Flint needs a better pick, spend the money and get the Duke kid from Detroit area

If they spend money?

What's the difference between what Vierling got and Perfetti got?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You're proving my point for me. When your D core has been so injury prone that you're regularly playing only 4 or 5 D-men, you do not have a jam-packed situation at that position.
You don't really think they're going to have 3 or 4 D be missing for extended periods again next year? No team is developing a contingency plan for that with 8 or 9 capable D.

Reactions: Gensdef

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
You don't really think they're going to have 3 or 4 D be missing for extended periods again next year? No team is developing a contingency plan for that with 8 or 9 capable D.
The injury thing was only half of the point that I was trying to make. The other half is this...you're implying that because guys like McCort and Bangs are have been important parts of the Firebirds' defense this year, that they are personnel that the team can be confident moving forward with. I'm playing devil's advocate in saying that if the team wants to have a championship quality defense, that there is the possibility that guys like this might fall back into the category of "spare part", like they were on Hamilton or London's rosters. Believe me, I wish all these guys the best of success, but if you're suggesting that this years defense is okay to move into next year and be successful, I say you've got rose colored glasses on. There are A LOT of question marks moving forward, and I can't call what they have a "log jam" of defensive talent at this point.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Where was McCourt tonight?

Watched Ty take a few shifts on D tonight. Solid effort. Vella very good again.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The injury thing was only half of the point that I was trying to make. The other half is this...you're implying that because guys like McCort and Bangs are have been important parts of the Firebirds' defense this year, that they are personnel that the team can be confident moving forward with. I'm playing devil's advocate in saying that if the team wants to have a championship quality defense, that there is the possibility that guys like this might fall back into the category of "spare part", like they were on Hamilton or London's rosters. Believe me, I wish all these guys the best of success, but if you're suggesting that this years defense is okay to move into next year and be successful, I say you've got rose colored glasses on. There are A LOT of question marks moving forward, and I can't call what they have a "log jam" of defensive talent at this point.
Bangs, yes. McCourt...I'd like to see improvements in his game but I wouldn't say he was a spare parts type guy. He was the 17yo D Hamilton moved in order to acquire vets for their run. 2-3-4-5 high quality 17yo D prospects get moved in that situation every year. Busby (congrats on scoring your first since like 2005-06 tonight kid!) is still finding his game after injuries and should be rolling next year. Yes, I have concerns about his durability too but I've seen that go both ways. Some guys are Daniel Alfredsson some just had a string of bad luck. We'll see. Koly is adjusting to a new culture, ice surface, league, language. He's good now, next year he'll be a stud. Gretz, Bianconi have played solid for their age which is my main point. Their entire D (outside of Hakon) is 16 to 18. That's crazy young for this league. If...(and I'm cool if) they do add an OA or even an Import or #1 pick that puts Gretz, Bianconi and Bangs as 5-6-7. I'm not sure that's where Gretz should or will want to be, but that's a decent D in my opinion. They're all gonna be better and a year older. I get your point. It's valid for sure but I'm leaning towards thinking Busby-Koly-McCourt-OA?-Gretz-Bianconi is a solid top 6.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
For the Evan Vierling is horrible camp. First off, let's just judge him on the first 30 games of his OHL career. That's all that really matters. Anything that happens after that is pointless anyway, right? Ethan Keppen had 10g and 18pts as a 16yo. 18. He seems to be working out pretty good to me. Vierling has 24 right now. If you throw out his horrible opening stretch he has 6g 17a 23pts and is only -4 in his last 47 games. It's not Cole Perfetti or Connor McDavid but many NHL picks have had lesser 16yo seasons. Just looking at 16yo 1st rounders from tonight's game over their last 6. Vierling 6gp 1g 7a 8pts +6. Cuylle 6gp 1g 2a 3pts Even. Foudy 6gp 0g 4a 4pts -1. I care a little about what a Vierling is doing now. I mostly care about what he does over the next 3 seasons. What's in the past is past. Oh yeah. Another kid with 24pts as a 16yo? Ty Dellandrea. On a better team too and he went 13th overall the following year.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Don’t write off kids at 16/17, you’ll trade them to another team and they’ll come back to haunt you FOREVER *cough* Cody Morgan *Cough*

Good performance by the birds tonight, think it was their first win in windsor this season (I may Be wrong) and they won the head to head on the season with the Spits.

Definitely going to be interesting going forward as Flints got some young talented players. Seem to be on a similar schedule to the spits and these are going to continue to be great games and may even be played at a higher caliber 2-3 years down the road.

Reactions: Toldyaso

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
For the Evan Vierling is horrible camp. First off, let's just judge him on the first 30 games of his OHL career. That's all that really matters. Anything that happens after that is pointless anyway, right? Ethan Keppen had 10g and 18pts as a 16yo. 18. He seems to be working out pretty good to me. Vierling has 24 right now. If you throw out his horrible opening stretch he has 6g 17a 23pts and is only -4 in his last 47 games. It's not Cole Perfetti or Connor McDavid but many NHL picks have had lesser 16yo seasons. Just looking at 16yo 1st rounders from tonight's game over their last 6. Vierling 6gp 1g 7a 8pts +6. Cuylle 6gp 1g 2a 3pts Even. Foudy 6gp 0g 4a 4pts -1. I care a little about what a Vierling is doing now. I mostly care about what he does over the next 3 seasons. What's in the past is past. Oh yeah. Another kid with 24pts as a 16yo? Ty Dellandrea. On a better team too and he went 13th overall the following year.

urLa.gif

Listen Linda, if we payed Perfetti more, he would be a Firebird. o_O:confused:o_O:confused:

And if we had more money we would have Wilde too!!!!:huh::huh::huh::huh:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Vierling has had a very nice second half, and is developing nicely. It's good to see the change in his game. It's also nice to see that Holmes has come alive since they have been paired together. Not sure if one sparked the other, or if they just work well together, but I'll take it.

Reactions: Toldyaso

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Flint is a team that appears headed in the right direction. Next year playoffs. The biggest question in Flint going forward is goaltending? Numbers for your go forward goalie are concerning. Stats show that as your largest issue. Am I missing something?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Flint is a team that appears headed in the right direction. Next year playoffs. The biggest question in Flint going forward is goaltending? Numbers for your go forward goalie are concerning. Stats show that as your largest issue. Am I missing something?
Goalie is young. Team defense was horrendous. Both very fixable.

Reactions: MJ5

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I think a lot of the goaltending issues fix themselves once there's some team defense being played in front of them. Goaltending isn't a position that I'm overly concerned about going forward, and I don't hear a lot of the people that watch the team night-in and night-out worried about it either. I can totally understand, however, how someone who only sees stats or a single game would think this. These two guys have been hung out to dry on a lot of nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->