First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Any word on Varly? If he went out before the start of the third and had all those days off and wasn’t ready today, then that doesn’t sound good to me. It’s probably pretty serious.

full disclosure- I am not a medical doctor. :)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We still need to be better. We were lucky the game stayed close the first 40 minutes
I honestly don’t think this was a case of us playing poorly for 2 periods. The Penguins outskated us. We were moving our legs. The Pens are simply superior skaters. They also move the puck incredibly well. This could be a problem for us the rest of the way. Our goaltending is going to have to remain better than theirs for us to win the series.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I honestly don’t think this was a case of us playing poorly for 2 periods. The Penguins outskated us. We were moving our legs. The Pens are simply superior skaters. They also move the puck incredibly well. This could be a problem for us the rest of the way. Our goaltending is going to have to remain better than theirs for us to win the series.
IMO, both Isles' goalies are way more playoff proven (I count winning the championship in the second best league in the world) than Jarry.

I said before the game, I think the key is getting to Jarry and not just shaking his confidence, but PIT's confidence in him. I think we did that today. He made some good saves, but the first Palms goal and the JG goal should have been stopped.

I think our guys play with a ton of confidence in both their tenders... not sure PIT feels that way, esp. after today...

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Good one today boys!

18-29-12 line was great and buzzing

Uncle Leo - great game - 14 hits!

Sorokin - good game- a couple of huge saves.

Palmieri - 2 goals! I love the cut move from down low and getting to the front of the net.

Wahlstrom and Dobson look comfortable and confident.

Pageau! This f***ing GUY! I have SO much gratitude that he is a NH Islander! Remember when fans shat on that deal and wanted Tyler Johnson!

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
EVERY Islander had a hit in the contest:

Komarov 14
Martin 9
Pulock 8
Clutterbuck 6
Cizikas and Pageau 5
Wahlstrom, Nelson and Leddy 4
Bailey, Pamieri, Pelech and Mayfield 2
Barzal, Beauviller, Eberle, Dobson and Greene 1

72 hits has to be some kind of record....

Reactions: buud

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Watched the highlights, man Sorokin saved our bacon multiple times. The first goal against was a perfect shot from a good scoring area and the second an impossible redirection. The third he could have had, he seemed like he was way off angle, but honestly a great first start for him

Idk what to do. Keep playing Soro or get Varly in there... I guess that’s a better goaltending problem than the Penguins have

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
Is Varly injured?

Wasn’t able to start watching until OT and noticed he wasn’t the backup

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Watched the highlights, man Sorokin saved our bacon multiple times. The first goal against was a perfect shot from a good scoring area and the second an impossible redirection. The third he could have had, he seemed like he was way off angle, but honestly a great first start for him

Idk what to do. Keep playing Soro or get Varly in there... I guess that’s a better goaltending problem than the Penguins have
It’s Sorokin’s net to lose, but Trotz has been known to flip the goalies. He’s done it with these guys and he did it with Holtby several years ago.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
IMO, both Isles' goalies are way more playoff proven (I count winning the championship in the second best league in the world) than Jarry.

I said before the game, I think the key is getting to Jarry and not just shaking his confidence, but PIT's confidence in him. I think we did that today. He made some good saves, but the first Palms goal and the JG goal should have been stopped.

I think our guys play with a ton of confidence in both their tenders... not sure PIT feels that way, esp. after today...

While I think Jarry should have done better with the JGP goal, people shouldn't be taking anything away from it. The shot was perfectly precise right in the upper corner where the bars meet. I mean, if we are going to criticize Jarry we should criticize Sorokin on the Kapanen goal (we shouldn't be). That was also a perfectly placed shot.

Reactions: CupHolders

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Missed Game 1 because I was working and Sportsnet 650 aired an NHL playoff preview show across the network where all 3 panelists picked Pens to win. I found out about the Isles Game 1 win around 12:45 Pacific on my phone, about a 1.5 kilometres southeast of Pacific Coliseum.

Reactions: beach

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Is Varly injured?

Wasn’t able to start watching until OT and noticed he wasn’t the backup
Yeah, as far as I know, no real word on what it is. Must be the same thing that kept him out of the third in their finale. Maybe Trotz has a feeling it's going to be a long series and once to give Varly one more day of rest. Actually, winning with Sorokin in net should give the team tons of confidence once Varly is back in.

Reactions: IslesNbeer

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
EVERY Islander had a hit in the contest:

Komarov 14
Martin 9
Pulock 8
Clutterbuck 6
Cizikas and Pageau 5
Wahlstrom, Nelson and Leddy 4
Bailey, Pamieri, Pelech and Mayfield 2
Barzal, Beauviller, Eberle, Dobson and Greene 1

72 hits has to be some kind of record....
Uncle Leo with 14 just tied Matt Martin and three others for second most hits in a game.

Judging by the dates of the other 14-hit games and the one 15-hit game, he has sole possession of the record for hits in a playoff game. None of the games over 10 hits are playoffs.

72 is the new record for hits by one team, topping the 67 by Montreal on Pittsburgh, Dec 10, 2019. Four of the top ten are by the Isles. Five of the top ten are against the Pens.

Caveat: hit stats are only from 2005 on.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ok. Another part of the NHL site shows Brendan Morrow with 19 hits in the 4OT game on May 4, 2008 (in 51:00 ice time), although the box score doesn't show hits.

It looks like the first NHL area I looked at was only regular season, although it didn't say so, and the area with playoff stats doesn't include hits.

So Leo is tied for third in hits in a single playoff game.

72 hits puts us in seventh overall. The most is 88 by Dallas in the above game.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
I think Game 1 was one where we knew PIT was going to come out charging- desperate to change the narrative of their last few playoffs (i.e. soft, fat and happy w/the Cups they already have, etc.). The fact we weathered that storm- and made the clutch plays to win Game 1 on the road is huge.

Keep tightening the screws from here...

Reactions: mm11

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I would like there to be a bounty on Crosby this series. Not to knock him out - not suggesting anything dirty - but to hit him at EVERY opportunity. Make his life miserable. Make it hard for him to get out of bed the next day. Just take the body hard. We did a pretty good job of that yesterday. Sometimes it feels like guys don’t want to do that and give him the “superstar” pass. Can’t afford that in this series.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
great win last night, for some reason it always feels a little better when its the penguins lol... just wanted to say,, the pp last year was awful and once again a year later it looks awful again.. looked atrocious on the 4 min double minor. super frustrating. sooo amped for the W tho

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think Game 1 was one where we knew PIT was going to come out charging- desperate to change the narrative of their last few playoffs (i.e. soft, fat and happy w/the Cups they already have, etc.). The fact we weathered that storm- and made the clutch plays to win Game 1 on the road is huge.

Keep tightening the screws from here...

Good signs: Playoff road win, back up goalie, no existent contributions from their top line and identity line but found a way to win. Clutch scoring, 41 shots and 72 hits.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Am I wrong or did the broadcast say that the Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since Crosby's rookie season? Didn't they get knocked out in the qualifying round last season by Montreal? Are we really treating the qualifying round as the playoffs now?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Am I wrong or did the broadcast say that the Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since Crosby's rookie season? Didn't they get knocked out in the qualifying round last season by Montreal? Are we really treating the qualifying round as the playoffs now?
Unfortunately they do.

I don’t.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Uncle Leo with 14 just tied Matt Martin and three others for second most hits in a game.

Judging by the dates of the other 14-hit games and the one 15-hit game, he has sole possession of the record for hits in a playoff game. None of the games over 10 hits are playoffs.

72 is the new record for hits by one team, topping the 67 by Montreal on Pittsburgh, Dec 10, 2019. Four of the top ten are by the Isles. Five of the top ten are against the Pens.

Caveat: hit stats are only from 2005 on.
What's the W-L record for all those high hit games?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It’s Sorokin’s net to lose, but Trotz has been known to flip the goalies. He’s done it with these guys and he did it with Holtby several years ago.
Varly will be back in goal as soon as healthy, which could be next game. And he will stay in goal as long as he's 100% able. This is still Varly's net. If he's healthy, we won't see Sorokin again.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That Leddy-Mayfield pairing makes me woof sometimes. They've played together long enough to have developed some trust/chemistry, but both are suspect handling the puck along the boards. Leddy is a great skater, but he completely lacks Toew's ability to carry the puck up the middle of the ice instead of getting funneled to the boards. Otoh a couple of good/lucky board wraps/indirect passes by that pair end up as goals for (both Palmieri goals). So they don't end the night with a big minus. Lucky.

NYI depserately need both some phsyicality down low, and movement up high to get the PP going. I doubt they do this tied or leading, but if behind they really ought to consider a 5-man forward unit with Bailey or Barzal at the top either bumping or running the PP. Maybe have a heavy group (Wahlstrom, Nelson, Palmieri) up front for puck retrieval. What they're doing isn't working - if they fail to carry it in, they never retreive a dump-in. Heck, put Cizikas (not Martin or Clutterbuck) in there if necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olliemets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad