First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I hope the Islander will see fit to play Zajac in a playoff game in the first round. It would be great for him. Of course only if the Isles think he will help them.

First priority is to sweep the Birds.

Go Islanders

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah, but that actually happened though. :laugh:

I think if you got knocked out in the qualifying round you didn't make the playoffs. A wonky, weird year, but it's literally (sorry @Richie Daggers Crime ) in the name of the event. Didn't qualify? You didn't get in.
If you had a chance to win the draft lottery, you weren’t in the playoffs.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I hope the Islander will see fit to play Zajac in a playoff game in the first round. It would be great for him. Of course only if the Isles think he will help them.

First priority is to sweep the Birds.

Go Islanders

I don't foresee Zajac getting in the lineup unless someone can't go. He fit in nicely on the fourth line at the end of the season and if any of them couldn't go I could see him slotting in there.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don't foresee Zajac getting in the lineup unless someone can't go. He fit in nicely on the fourth line at the end of the season and if any of them couldn't go I could see him slotting in there.
He only pops in for a lineup change due to performance, matchups (home ice w/last change and face-offs), or injury.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

I got it. This is probably his last playoff series and I am being nostalgic for him as a Devils fan, he is one of the good guys.

Reactions: buud

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Leo is playing strong right now so I doubt he comes out. But if it went the other way, Zajac would be getting the call. Obviously we ride Uncle Leo now but I can see where we have a lacklaster game or two and Trotz things we need to shake things up - Zajac would probably be the next guy up.

If we are to make a long playoff run, odds are Zajac gets in. 10+ games of intense hockey usually has guys banged up here or there.

Would be a great story for him to come in somehow and score a key goal.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I think there is a better chance if the Isles went 2 or 3 rounds that Bolduc or Wilde makes an appearance than Zajac lol

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
After Game 1, I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances:

– We won despite not playing great, with several key guys (notably, Barzal, Pelech, Pulock) having an off-night.

– On some occasions during the third period we looked like that team from the bubble, while the Pens looked like they don't know how to play against that version of the Isles.

Still a long series ahead, Jarry was not the reason they lost (as some Pens fans want to believe), but he can be better, there is also Malkin, our PP is beyond suckage, etc.

Also, one thing I didn't like from Game 1 is how quickly we surrendered leads, twice. Hopefully, it's just a coincidence, not a trend.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
They haven't missed a postseason*.

They did in fact miss the playoffs regardless of what they said on TV not that it matters at all.
My understanding of the prevailing terminology is that 2020 post-season was made up of a round robin, playins, and playoffs. The Pens made the post-season, but failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 2006, thus ending their streak of consecutive playoff appearances at 13 (but their post-season streak is still alive).

Reactions: Riseonfire

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I keep wondering if Zajac is the hedge against Cizikas leaving in FA this summer, the way Greene was a hedge against Lou knowing he'd probably have to trade a d-man (Toews) last summer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I hope we won't need Zajac, but if it is a long playoff run. You never know, it wouldn't be the last time a Center went down. To me he is a valuable insurance policy. I just hope the Isles do not have one of the top 4 C's hurt. But experience tells me, a long playoff run is rarely injury free.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I keep wondering if Zajac is the hedge against Cizikas leaving in FA this summer, the way Greene was a hedge against Lou knowing he'd probably have to trade a d-man (Toews) last summer.
Could be, but the primary purpose is C depth for these playoffs. The Cizikas thing is there too though in Lou's four-dimensional chess game. And they just signed Reece Newkirk to an ELC also. Just Lou using time and creating flexibility.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Greene was also a free agent, like Zajac. Lou could have hedged without trading for them.

I do think they will lose Cizikas. Lou will correctly offer a 2 or 3 year contract at a pay cut. Some other team will definitely offer more. It will be up to Cizikas to decide if some more money is worth leaving all he's ever known. Most athletes do take the money.

I don't think Zajac is the hedge in case Cizikas leaves. Healthy scratching a player is not the way to entice a pending UFA to sign.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah, but that actually happened though. :laugh:

I think if you got knocked out in the qualifying round you didn't make the playoffs. A wonky, weird year, but it's literally (sorry @Richie Daggers Crime ) in the name of the event. Didn't qualify? You didn't get in.

This is incredibly nitpicky but before the Penguins third goal Wahlstrom had the puck on the strong side. There were a lot of bodies in the area and I would've liked to have seen him just keep it there for a bit, let the momentum from the goal settle in some, eat the clock a bit, make Pittsburgh work for it. Instead, he threw the puck to the vacant opposite corner which allowed Pittsburgh to grab the puck with speed and fly up the boards.

I'm not saying it was a bad play or he should've known better, I just with he understood what was happening at that point and was antsy to move the puck. That'll come with time for him though.

I guess nobody has missed a postseason then, right? :sarcasm:
But it was covid, and Philly really didn't try, and Washington didn't want to be there, and we only got in because of the short season, and point % isn't valid, and play-in round, and Lou is senile, and, and, and....

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
But it was covid, and Philly really didn't try, and Washington didn't want to be there, and we only got in because of the short season, and point % isn't valid, and play-in round, and Lou is senile, and, and, and....
don't forget the panthers didn't have puck luck too

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Greene was also a free agent, like Zajac. Lou could have hedged without trading for them.

I do think they will lose Cizikas. Lou will correctly offer a 2 or 3 year contract at a pay cut. Some other team will definitely offer more. It will be up to Cizikas to decide if some more money is worth leaving all he's ever known. Most athletes do take the money.

I don't think Zajac is the hedge in case Cizikas leaves. Healthy scratching a player is not the way to entice a pending UFA to sign.
Could have been a consideration, but not the primary one. Seems like with Greene resigning must have been a topic of discussion when having him waive his NTC. You are correct though, Greene played a role. So far, Zajac hasn't.

Zajac is 36, he's gonna be a one year deal guy from here on out. He can go back to NJ to play and get paid meaningless games or stay, if wanted, to try to contribute to a contender, but accept he might not play 100% of the time.

On Czikas, wonder if this is an area that Seattle makes a play as an UFA. Isles can't sign him before expansion draft bc that impacts their slots (or they do, Lou puts in a CASH kicker for '21 and '22 as a deterrent), but he's exposed - that doesn't mean Seattle can't take him, keep him or even flip him somewhere else too. Francis has seen Czikas play coming from the same division/conference.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It wasn't sustainable

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
For years now, I love how whenever we beat someone it's always about how their team did something wrong to lose to us. "Our goalie is the reason", "the refs stole it from us", "the Islanders clutch and grab", " the Isles were lucky". You guys got your assess beat, straight up. Suck it up and see ya next year. What is it about our team we get this much disrespect? Sorry we don't have someone who needlessly dangles for highlight reel goals, sorry we don't send countless waisted shots on net to boost our numbers. Maybe we're just the better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrasymachus

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
For years now, I love how whenever we beat someone it's always about how their team did something wrong to lose to us. "Our goalie is the reason", "the refs stole it from us", "the Islanders clutch and grab", " the Isles were lucky". You guys got your assess beat, straight up. Suck it up and see ya next year. What is it about our team we get this much disrespect? Sorry we don't have someone who needlessly dangles for highlight reel goals, sorry we don't send countless waisted shots on net to boost our numbers. Maybe we're just the better team.
That's just how fandom tends to work. Go through any game day thread on our board where we lost, and you'll find most of the comments after the game about what the Islanders did wrong -- which players need to wake up, what scapegoat needs to be jettisoned from the team, who had a sloppy game, what boneheaded play someone made, etc. Pretty rarely do you see anyone say we just straight up got beat by a better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF and TMI

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
So with Excelsior Pass, it should be pretty easy to get the Coli to half capacity or more right? If there are minimal distancing regulations for vaxxed sections, make as many vaxxed sections as you can and let's get people in there.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
It's reputation and style. We are defense-first team, the hallmark of underdogs and cinderellas, that's why we are often confused with them.

In reality, we won against Pittsburgh in 2019 and against Florida, Washington, and Philadelphia last year because we were clearly better than them, while we lost against Tampa because they were clearly better than us. That's all, it's very simple.

The only series that does not fit this narrative is against Carolina. Yes, they were better, but not "clearly", IMO. Had we won the first game, anything could have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad