First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It's true. I definitely noticed all of the times Eberle got knocked off his skates.

(It should be said that this system must be absolutely *brutal* to play for Eberle as a winger.)
That's because Isles fans seem to just want to find all the bad in his game. In the 3rd and OTs, he was on the puck more than any other Fwd.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It is 100% true that we have ZERO better options than Leo on that top line; of course I would argue that he brings absolutely ZERO offensively (and the statistics back it up) as well.

The truth is he has no business being on any top line or anywhere near the top 6 but we simply don't have anyone who can play on the boards and do the dirty work as well as aggravate the opposing top forwards better than him. OF COURSE is stagnates our best player offensively; but NOTHING SHORT OF BREAKING UP THE CENTERS is going to remedy this. We have to hope that they can figure it out- with they being of course Barzal and Eberle. They managed to score 5 goals in a single game against the Capitals not quite two months ago:

April 1st:

Barzal 3 goals/2 assists +5
Eberle 2 goals/1 assist +4
Komarov 1 assist +4

Of course that seems more like a bad April Fools joke now since Barzal has a total of 4 goals in the 23 games since and Eberle isn't much better (5). Uncle Leo got his lone goal all season 4 weeks later and sprinkled in a whopping 4 assists including the one last night.

As a matter of fact, their collective +/- since then:

Barzal (-1)
Eberle (-1)
Komarov (-1)

So on one hand you have to defend the Leo top line decision (BT isn't about to break up Nelson/JPG centering the second and third lines) because we have no other REALISTIC options that come close to replacing what Lee brought to the table; but let's not kid ourselves either. Leo Komarov IS NOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM a top six winger....

Reactions: bronxirish

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That's cool. Remind us how many points Sydney has in this series? Leo is there to help Barzal, who is causing his OWN issues and being pretty irrelevant. But he's really there to matchup against Syd - Barzal should be enough of a big boy to ice capades around the Pens to contribute once in awhile.

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
I Still Can't Believe We Won Last Night! When was the last time we outright stole a game with our Goaltender? Maybe Glenn "Barney The Dinosaur" Healy in 1993?
I never heard him referred to as Barney...what’s the reason behind this?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Based on his typical comments about the Isles, my only nickname for Healy these days starts with "d" and end with "ick".

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Leo vs Marchand has been a W for Leo all season long.

that is true - he has been a good counter to his antics and will protect Maty.

Just wish he had a stronger and more dynamic winger on his left.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's true. I definitely noticed all of the times Eberle got knocked off his skates.

(It should be said that this system must be absolutely *brutal* to play for Eberle as a winger.)
Careful - you're getting awfully close to suggesting that Uncle Leo was the best player on that line. :sarcasm:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I honestly cant believe it. I think they were outplayed almost the entire series. I can't tell if they are just catching breaks, or if they really are able to just get it done when they have to.
just have an uncanny ability to get things done lately in the post season. Can they take the cup home? Crazier things have happened, but I think we both agree their sharpness among other things need to elevate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad