First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
NYI depserately need both some phsyicality down low, and movement up high to get the PP going. I doubt they do this tied or leading, but if behind they really ought to consider a 5-man forward unit with Bailey or Barzal at the top either bumping or running the PP. Maybe have a heavy group (Wahlstrom, Nelson, Palmieri) up front for puck retrieval. What they're doing isn't working - if they fail to carry it in, they never retreive a dump-in. Heck, put Cizikas (not Martin or Clutterbuck) in there if necessary.

THIS !!!

Especially if chasing the score. Casey a little Rat who wins board battles.
The standing around passing and waiting for a possible one timer has failed all season.
Crash the net, outnumber them in front and toss the puck there.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That Leddy-Mayfield pairing makes me woof sometimes. They've played together long enough to have developed some trust/chemistry, but both are suspect handling the puck along the boards. Leddy is a great skater, but he completely lacks Toew's ability to carry the puck up the middle of the ice instead of getting funneled to the boards. Otoh a couple of good/lucky board wraps/indirect passes by that pair end up as goals for (both Palmieri goals). So they don't end the night with a big minus. Lucky.

I said to my boys right before the OT goal "Wow - that seems like the first time they wrapped the puck around the boards and there was actually a forward there!" In the first period, it seemed like the Pens had an extra guy out there. They always had the Islanders forward pinned and we could barely get it out of the zone and in their own zone, they exited with hardly any opposition.

Its really interesting how momentum changes in a game. The Islanders were just surviving in that first period. As the game went on, they settled down. Still an occasional hairy moment (and Mayfield's infuriating back peddling on the Pens 3rd goal), but they definitely settled down and found their game as it went on.

Huge to win that game after the first period they had.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
They always had the Islanders forward pinned and we could barely get it out of the zone and in their own zone, they exited with hardly any opposition.

Watching the first two periods was like my son's lacrosse team's practice that morning, "Move your feet, then look for your help." It's really easy to play defense (or forecheck) when everyone is standing still.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Am I wrong or did the broadcast say that the Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since Crosby's rookie season? Didn't they get knocked out in the qualifying round last season by Montreal? Are we really treating the qualifying round as the playoffs now?
Some do, some don't. For the sake of hype and records, yes. Things like Pens always making the playoffs, Leafs always losing in the first round, Isles winning 4 of the last 6 rounds.

On the other hand, Leaf fans who don't like the "lost in the first round five years in a row" label claim it doesn't count. Of course they also say our making it to the semi-final doesn't count, so....

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's going to be interesting to see how Dobson and Wally ascend as we go further in the playoffs. I thought they were ok in their playoff debuts. Dobson actually got in last year, but let's just say they both debuted yesterday. This is an area that is untapped. I think they will get better. At times the play and intensity was a bit much for them. Trotz actually sat Dobson the last 5 mins before OT. Wally shanked a one timer, but made safe plays. They will get used to having less time and space, if the Isles go deep into the playoffs, I can see both of their games grow exponentially.

Reactions: buud

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What's the W-L record for all those high hit games?
Dallas 88 hits, beat SJS 2-1 (129:03)
Vegas 80 hits, lost to SJS 2-1 (91:17)
LA 80 hits, lost to Vegas 2-1 (95:23)
Isles 75 hits, beat TB 2-1 (92:30)
Rags 74 hits, lost to Habs 4-3 (78:34)
Isles 73 hits lost to Philly 5-4 (95:03)
Isles 72 hits beat Pens 4-3 (96:30)

So three wins and four losses. But the two most recent are the Isles wins over Tampa and Pens.

All are overtime games. One ended very late in the first OT, five late in the second OT, and the most was in a game that ended just shy of the middle of the fourth OT.

But remember that hits were only officially counted starting in 2005. I wouldn't be surprised if the third game of the 1967 finals, that went into double OT, featured as many hits by either Toronto or Montreal, or both.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Am I wrong or did the broadcast say that the Penguins haven't missed the playoffs since Crosby's rookie season? Didn't they get knocked out in the qualifying round last season by Montreal? Are we really treating the qualifying round as the playoffs now?

They haven't missed a postseason*.

They did in fact miss the playoffs regardless of what they said on TV not that it matters at all.

Reactions: Hunn and PK Cronin

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That Leddy-Mayfield pairing makes me woof sometimes. They've played together long enough to have developed some trust/chemistry, but both are suspect handling the puck along the boards. Leddy is a great skater, but he completely lacks Toew's ability to carry the puck up the middle of the ice instead of getting funneled to the boards. Otoh a couple of good/lucky board wraps/indirect passes by that pair end up as goals for (both Palmieri goals). So they don't end the night with a big minus. Lucky.

NYI depserately need both some phsyicality down low, and movement up high to get the PP going. I doubt they do this tied or leading, but if behind they really ought to consider a 5-man forward unit with Bailey or Barzal at the top either bumping or running the PP. Maybe have a heavy group (Wahlstrom, Nelson, Palmieri) up front for puck retrieval. What they're doing isn't working - if they fail to carry it in, they never retreive a dump-in. Heck, put Cizikas (not Martin or Clutterbuck) in there if necessary.
It may sound odd, but Toronto used to have Komarov on the PP. He was very good at standing on the blueline and expediting zone entries, which is one of our biggest problems. He's also a net front presence: not as good as Lee, but, again, something we seem to lack.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I said to my boys right before the OT goal "Wow - that seems like the first time they wrapped the puck around the boards and there was actually a forward there!" In the first period, it seemed like the Pens had an extra guy out there. They always had the Islanders forward pinned and we could barely get it out of the zone and in their own zone, they exited with hardly any opposition.

Its really interesting how momentum changes in a game. The Islanders were just surviving in that first period. As the game went on, they settled down. Still an occasional hairy moment (and Mayfield's infuriating back peddling on the Pens 3rd goal), but they definitely settled down and found their game as it went on.

Huge to win that game after the first period they had.
I think a large part of Pittsburgh's problems in the third and OT were a direct result of Leo, Pags, and the fourth line hitting their D every chance they could.

Reactions: MJF

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Cuomo just announced that venues can go to 100 percent capacity for vaccinated people.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Last edited:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If my math is correct the Islanders can sell an additional 3400 tickets bringing capacity to 10,200
3400 unvaccinated
6800 fully vaccinated.
Or they could go to 14,000 vaccinated only. Big difference in revenue after bleeding cash for a year.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
My assessment is the team did not play well the first half but improved and played some great hockey the second half of this game.

Sorokin was stellar and weathered the storm until the Isles could find their game. He won this game IMO.

Jarry was awful with some flashes of brilliance but overall a poor performance. 3 of the 4 goals are on him. I give him a pass on Brocks goal which was somewhat of a screen. He was very shaky at best and will be interesting to watch.

I give Barzal a D yesterday. He was not himself. Perhaps timing was off. Saw some improvement the longer the game was played but he needs to be better.

The Isles need all 4 lines, D and goaltending to be stellar to win this series. Shaky Pens goaltending would help erase some poor play.

I count us fortunate. Hope these underdogs continue to show this magic and keep the Pens under their playoff spell. LGI

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Or they could go to 14,000 vaccinated only. Big difference in revenue after bleeding cash for a year.

I would think if they make a second round yes however I believe they already sold tickets to all games in first round so only additional tickets would be vaccinated sections.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I would think if they make a second round yes however I believe they already sold tickets to all games in first round so only additional tickets would be vaccinated sections.
Yes, with first round already sold, they can't change yet. Unvaccinated fans have already bought their tix. But I wouldn't be surprised if next round is vaccinated only.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I wonder if they can sell some additional vaccinated only tickets. Wasn’t the vaccinated section still with some social distancing? Would be great if NYI can sell some of those extra tickets and get another 1-2K in the building.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
4 of PITs last 18 games were against playoff teams. The other 14...the lotto teams. So, to me, the Isles winning Game 1 has a big impact on PIT and their momentum. Isles struggled, but PIT came in hot...against lotto teams.

I also like the Isles haven't played PIT since March - less on ice scouting.

Reactions: Lights911

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Take a look at Palmieri’s zone entry for the GWG- he chips it past Marino and then keeps his legs moving as Marino tries to rub him out against the boards - Palmieri pushes and tosses Marino on his ass and drives to the net.

That is what it takes in the playoffs and that is what it means to be tough/difficult to play against.

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
My assessment is the team did not play well the first half but improved and played some great hockey the second half of this game.

Sorokin was stellar and weathered the storm until the Isles could find their game. He won this game IMO.

Jarry was awful with some flashes of brilliance but overall a poor performance. 3 of the 4 goals are on him. I give him a pass on Brocks goal which was somewhat of a screen. He was very shaky at best and will be interesting to watch.

I give Barzal a D yesterday. He was not himself. Perhaps timing was off. Saw some improvement the longer the game was played but he needs to be better.

The Isles need all 4 lines, D and goaltending to be stellar to win this series. Shaky Pens goaltending would help erase some poor play.

I count us fortunate. Hope these underdogs continue to show this magic and keep the Pens under their playoff spell. LGI
Barzal sucked yesterday. Seemed completely disinterested like John Traitor at the Arena ground breaking dig presentation. He woke a little late in the third but he took Eberle down with him. Only Uncle was going on that line.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Some do, some don't. For the sake of hype and records, yes. Things like Pens always making the playoffs, Leafs always losing in the first round, Isles winning 4 of the last 6 rounds.

On the other hand, Leaf fans who don't like the "lost in the first round five years in a row" label claim it doesn't count. Of course they also say our making it to the semi-final doesn't count, so....

Yeah, but that actually happened though. :laugh:

I think if you got knocked out in the qualifying round you didn't make the playoffs. A wonky, weird year, but it's literally (sorry @Richie Daggers Crime ) in the name of the event. Didn't qualify? You didn't get in.

It's going to be interesting to see how Dobson and Wally ascend as we go further in the playoffs. I thought they were ok in their playoff debuts. Dobson actually got in last year, but let's just say they both debuted yesterday. This is an area that is untapped. I think they will get better. At times the play and intensity was a bit much for them. Trotz actually sat Dobson the last 5 mins before OT. Wally shanked a one timer, but made safe plays. They will get used to having less time and space, if the Isles go deep into the playoffs, I can see both of their games grow exponentially.

This is incredibly nitpicky but before the Penguins third goal Wahlstrom had the puck on the strong side. There were a lot of bodies in the area and I would've liked to have seen him just keep it there for a bit, let the momentum from the goal settle in some, eat the clock a bit, make Pittsburgh work for it. Instead, he threw the puck to the vacant opposite corner which allowed Pittsburgh to grab the puck with speed and fly up the boards.

I'm not saying it was a bad play or he should've known better, I just with he understood what was happening at that point and was antsy to move the puck. That'll come with time for him though.

They haven't missed a postseason*.

They did in fact miss the playoffs regardless of what they said on TV not that it matters at all.

I guess nobody has missed a postseason then, right? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad