First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Now that we finally clinched I think it's a good idea to have one central thread to discuss all things first round related, such as seeding and matchups, 1st Round Schedule, line combos we want to see come Round 1, news about capacity at the Coliseum for the playoffs etc.

To get it started, I am hoping that they increase capacity for the 1st Round at the Coliseum. IMO they should open it to at least 50% at this point, and hopefully there will be some news about capacity soon.

Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Be nice to see FL v. TB in round 1 (and FL winning...). No CA teams in the playoffs again (will be repeated again next year too). Dallas making playoffs to overcome big bad COVID would be a great story, however, Nashville making it would be good for that market. MIN is wild and good for them. The North, ah, whatever.

The seeding is unclear, but generally, Vegas is poised to go all the way.

scott99

May 13, 2005
As a Detroit fan with no skin in the game, I’m rooting for you guys to go all the way

Good luck!
You have a better chance of being the lead ballerina in the Nut Cracker than the Isles have at winning the Cup, the way this team is currently constructed.

Thanks for the good wishes though, much appreciated. But don’t waste your time watching “Islander’s playoff” hockey. Though it’ll be a quick watch.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Not content with polluting just the GDT with his sad-sack, woe-is-me, I-hate-myself-and-I-want-to-die rhetoric, scott99 turned to the playoff thread...
Equal opportunity and all. I like to spread the love and/or embarrassment.

Oh, I don’t hate myself, on the contrary. What I hate is how the Isles turned from a promising team into an embarrassment, in the same season.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
What do we think the attendance situation will look like for the playoffs? Is 50% capacity possible? Will there be anything resembling a normal tailgate situation?

I live out of state and would consider flying in to see a playoff game at the coliseum one more time but not sure if it’s worth it given the expected Covid restrictions.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What do we think the attendance situation will look like for the playoffs? Is 50% capacity possible? Will there be anything resembling a normal tailgate situation?

I live out of state and would consider flying in to see a playoff game at the coliseum one more time but not sure if it’s worth it given the expected Covid restrictions.
Capacity is set by NY State. It's supposed to be increased to 35% on May 19. I believe negative COVID test or proof of vaccination is still required as is a mask.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
You have a better chance of being the lead ballerina in the Nut Cracker than the Isles have at winning the Cup, the way this team is currently constructed.

Thanks for the good wishes though, much appreciated. But don’t waste your time watching “Islander’s playoff” hockey. Though it’ll be a quick watch.

Ok you convinced me. I wont even bother watching. :help:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The regular season will officially end on May 19. I am not sure when the Isles play game 1. But one has to think the team Trotz envisions to start the playoffs will play against Boston on May 10 in their final game. Could be a long layoff before game 1. The 2 games against NJ, could be good for resting some players, and getting some rust off others.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The regular season will officially end on May 19. I am not sure when the Isles play game 1. But one has to think the team Trotz envisions to start the playoffs will play against Boston on May 10 in their final game. Could be a long layoff before game 1. The 2 games against NJ, could be good for resting some players, and getting some rust off others.
Then we’re going into the playoffs with our team rusty and Varly not sharp :scared:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Not sure about the start of playoffs but I did hear somewhere that the NHL was considering not waiting until each round was over before starting the next one. They don't want to waste time and have to deal with COVID issues that might crop up. I've always hated when other leagues do that and I hope the NHL doesn't.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
At this point, I think I'd most like to face Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

And I'd like to see WAS and BOS duke it out. I think either would beat Pittsburgh, but would love to see them beat each other up.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not sure about the start of playoffs but I did hear somewhere that the NHL was considering not waiting until each round was over before starting the next one. They don't want to waste time and have to deal with COVID issues that might crop up. I've always hated when other leagues do that and I hope the NHL doesn't.
Seems less about Covid issues, rather more about lining up next season on time with buildings at or near capacity. Reduce leverage of the PA for more time to start next season.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
At this point, I think I'd most like to face Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

And I'd like to see WAS and BOS duke it out. I think either would beat Pittsburgh, but would love to see them beat each other up.
+1. I think the most entertaining series matchups in the East would be what you have.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Home ice should be the goal, this team plays markedly better at home. Even a 35% crowded coliseum will give them an advantage. Win out, go into the playoffs on a winning streak, and beat a good team in the process.

If they back in, and given the level of competition, I find it hard to objectively believe they will win rd. 1.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Home ice should be the goal, this team plays markedly better at home. Even a 35% crowded coliseum will give them an advantage. Win out, go into the playoffs on a winning streak, and beat a good team in the process.

If they back in, and given the level of competition, I find it hard to objectively believe they will win rd. 1.
You’re right, home ice should be the goal. But they always seem to flame out once they get a taste of first place. The other three playoff teams in the East still seem to be going balls to the wall. Why do the isles have a mindset of ‘meh, just happy to get in. We’ll rest up for when the playoffs start’?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
You’re right, home ice should be the goal. But they always seem to flame out once they get a taste of first place. The other three playoff teams in the East still seem to be going balls to the wall. Why do the isles have a mindset of ‘meh, just happy to get in. We’ll rest up for when the playoffs start’?

Perhaps buckling under pressure, perhaps burning out from a grinding style of game, perhaps taking the lowly Sabres too lightly?

We'll see what they bring the next three.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
As a Detroit fan with no skin in the game, I’m rooting for you guys to go all the way

Good luck!
tenor.gif

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad