Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I wasn't one of the ones attacking Skinner - and I'm not sure who did as I likely glossed over them in 40 pages - but every time I see a "Leo" comment I don't even have to look at your profile to know it's you. Your posts get repetitive and tiresome. I'm sure you have some other thoughts to share on other players/coaches/GMs, so let's hear them.

Sorry. I thought it was clear who we were discussing in these posts. It wasnt you.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
And to be clear, I absolutely love Leons game when hes engaged and playing for his teammates. Hes not

Yeah, he goes through this annual slump that drives me - and likely many other posters crazy - and I'm not sure what causes these doldrums. I thought by now he'd be over it, but maybe he's tuned Tippett out or is actively trying to get him fired. In any case, yes, you're right, love Tippett or hate him, Draisaitl, as a professional athlete, needs to play better regardless of his coach.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I wasn't one of the ones attacking Skinner - and I'm not sure who did as I likely glossed over them in 40 pages - but every time I see a "Leo" comment I don't even have to look at your profile to know it's you. Your posts get repetitive and tiresome. I'm sure you have some other thoughts to share on other players/coaches/GMs, so let's hear them.

I did make my list earlier in this thread today. Yes it included Leon. Connor as well

Things that need to come to an end:

1. Tippetts coaching career with the Oilers

2. Delusion that Kane can help this club in the state its in right now

3. Connor sulking at press conferences.

4. Leo leading the league in giveaways

5. Teammates that don't want to put it on the line every night for each other.

6. A management group thinking it can win without an NHL goalie. Skinner may be one, he isn't yet. Smith may have been one, it doesnt appear he is any longer no matter how hard he tries and wants to be.

Reactions: Czechboy and Duke74

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

giphy.webp

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I just realized that Brian Wiseman - the often not mentioned assistant coach - is on the staff because he was Tippett's video coach in Dallas back in 2003. That was the only other time he had an NHL job.

I'm so ready for the Tippett era to be over.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattsSSV

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Im sure Holland believes the same when people talk to him about analytics while teams with strong analytical depts are the ones that win. I’m sorry you don’t believe in math. What makes you think hockey is the exception to math? That’s what really blows my mind. Listening to Rishaug, Gazzola, post game they all saw a ooor game from the Oilers. They saw a perimeter game- not sure what you watched. You keep on going on with your eye test.

Hockey, like everything else in life, has a qualitative and quantitative measure. You, and Holland, are purely based on the qualitative and only see one side of the picture. Again, your passing of your bias of analytics as fact. Lol. You do you. I’m putting you on ignore, please do the same for me. I don’t see any value on your opinions, you don’t see value in mine

Its quite a stretch to say I don't believe in math when I am saying that advanced hockey stats are unsubstantiated.

What blows my mind is that you actually think the bolded is what I had stated.

Yeah, you do you.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This isn't a slump, the Edmonton Oilers have serious problems | Edmonton Sun

I like this article, I think it states a number of truths regarding the team. It's one of the more objective pieces I have read in the Edmonton media.

Koskinen as starter = automatic playoff miss + catastrophic collapse in team's confidence.

Even last year they're basically the same exact team with Koskinen + Skinner as their starters as they are this year.

On pace for 82 points last year with Koskinen in net pro-rated for a normal season ... 82 points is no where near good enough for playoffs.

With Smith they were top 5 in the league. With Koskinen they're bottom 10 in the GA last year and this year, same story.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Koskinen as starter = automatic playoff miss + catastrophic collapse in team's confidence.

Even last year they're basically the same exact team with Koskinen + Skinner as their starters as they are this year.

On pace for 82 points last year with Koskinen in net pro-rated for a normal season ... 82 points is no where near good enough for playoffs.

With Smith they were top 5 in the league. With Koskinen they're bottom 10 in the GA last year and this year, same story.

True but the article also mentions other key problems like a defence that is just too small and shooters (like Puls) who have gone stone cold. The thing is it has a degree of objectivity that you rarely get in the local media.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True but the article also mentions other key problems like a defence that is just too small and shooters (like Puls) who have gone stone cold. The thing is has a degree of objectivity that you rarely get in the local media.

I read the article. Tychkowski is near constantly critical of players on the Oilers. I wouldn't say he has any trouble with that, but wouldn't put it down to objectivity either.

Tych says the D is too small. The D last night ranged in weight from 192lbs (Keith) to 222lbs (Nurse) With 3 of the D being dressed over 200lbs. A lot of teams have much smaller D and use them a lot. So I'm not sure what point is being made as the size of the Oilers D is normative.

But a really weird comment in the article was Skinner not being the reason for losing even though he gave up a couple suspect goals. If your goalie is creating one goal against a night on a brutal miscue, and letting other suspect goals in that is often going to be unsurmountable in an average 3 goals scored league.

Yeah, Skinner was a large part of why we lost, and goaltending is the sorest point this season. Basic numbers bare it out. As other posters have stated last two seasons Oilers were very average with anybody but Smith in net. This continues.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It was well done. He threw some stars under the bus. Glad he pointed out it is not just goaltending.

How do you reconcile this statement in what, as per usual, is a poorly written Tych article? He directly contradicts himself with this statment.

There’s no way you win with those numbers, even if a team is playing well. And the Oilers haven’t been playing well for a long time.
Sure, it’s easy to pile on a 23-year-old kid making his 11th NHL start behind a shaky, slumping team, but Saturday’s choke goes way beyond Skinner letting in a couple of soft ones.

This was a 4-4 game, in which Skinner HANDED the Sens a critical tying goal and let in one or two more weak ones. The Sens got a late goal on a PP to take the game. The empty net goal is incidental as would not have occurred otherwise. So how is that NOT the margin of victory in the game?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It was well done. He threw some stars under the bus. Glad he pointed out it is not just goaltending.

I like how he points out that in 9 of the last 14 games the Oilers haven't scored more than 2 goals. Can't blame the goaltenders for that.

Sure the puck stoppers have been bad but how many games do you win when you score less than 3?

WRT "small D-men" I think he means play small.

Let's hope that Broberg is recalled soon--can't be worse than some of what we are seeing here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kassian says, " This same group, at the beginning of the year, was one of the best teams in the league. "

No Zak, you weren't. Statistically, you had that bump. But let's be realistic. McDavid and Draisaitl were out of this world good offensively, the PP was humming along at 50 % and the PK was ungodly. None of that was remotely sustainable. All the while, the goaltending was okay, and the bottom six were non-existent.

Not only is Kassian delusional with his comment, he also has been part of the problem, with long stretches of inconsistent to disinterested play.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like how he points out that in 9 of the last 14 games the Oilers haven't scored more than 2 goals. Can't blame the goaltenders for that.

Sure the puck stoppers have been bad but how many games do you win when you score less than 3?

WRT "small D-men" I think he means play small.

Let's hope that Broberg is recalled soon--can't be worse than some of what we are seeing here.

That is exactly what he means by the bolded, and I think we all know it. As mentioned before, this team is playing scared and afraid to make a mistake, right out of the gate.

Amazing how some people on here continue to relentlessly pile on Skinner for a tough 3rd period last night with a stand out mistake, instead of looking at big picture of this team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Kassian says, " This same group, at the beginning of the year, was one of the best teams in the league. "

No Zak, you weren't. Statistically, you had that bump. But let's be realistic. McDavid and Draisaitl were out of this world good offensively, the PP was humming along at 50 % and the PK was ungodly. None of that was remotely sustainable. All the while, the goaltending was okay, and the bottom six were non-existent.

Not only is Kassian delusional with his comment, he also has been part of the problem, with long stretches of inconsistent to disinterested play.

Nothing like the wisdom of Zach Kassian to lean on.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Its quite a stretch to say I don't believe in math when I am saying that advanced hockey stats are unsubstantiated.

What blows my mind is that you actually think the bolded is what I had stated.

Yeah, you do you.

The fact that you say it’s unsubstantiated blows my mind. Analytics, in one form or another, is used in every damn situation you come across in life- but hockey is the one thing on the planet that’s an exception. Lol. Hate to break it to you, every team is using them (outside the oilers). Tampa built their team on analytics- and rely on them so heavily that they gave their analytics guy a cup ring. But sure- unsubstantiated…lol. Again, if Drivesaitl doesn’t understand it- must make it useless smh. This is my last response to you.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad