Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And Hyman has been banged up a bit. He looked much better in our last game. McDavid has been out of sorts and that hasn't helped his or Pulju's game lately IMO.

I was Ok with the player addition. I thought the price was steep but that we needed some added scoring. Trouble is we're not getting that for quite awhile now from Hyman and he doesn't get many assists either. In reality he's just another heavily reliant producer. Really you could put Kassian in his place and in a good year get similar results. Hell, Kass has looked better in topsix at times than Pulju and Hyman have lately.

What we need from the latter is to move something on their own. To get some kind of results. I thought the McLeod line played well, and were a handful, but we need a line like that to pot some.

Trouble with Hyman is he is in no way any type of pure goal scorer winger, which is really what we needed. I go back to a player like Toffoli, who is what we needed. Toffoli has scored 45 goals since leaving LA. We sure could have used that.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was Ok with the player addition. I thought the price was steep but that we needed some added scoring. Trouble is we're not getting that for quite awhile now from Hyman and he doesn't get many assists either. In reality he's just another heavily reliant producer. Really you could put Kassian in his place and in a good year get similar results. Hell, Kass has looked better in topsix at times than Pulju and Hyman have lately.

What we need from the latter is to move something on their own. To get some kind of results. I thought the McLeod line played well, and were a handful, but we need a line like that to pot some.

Trouble with Hyman is he is in no way any type of pure goal scorer winger, which is really what we needed. I go back to a player like Toffoli, who is what we needed. Toffoli has scored 45 goals since leaving LA. We sure could have used that.
Hyman scores at a good rate. He’s a 20-30 goal guy but he’s more of a garbage cleanup guy than a pure sniper which is what I think your referencing. This is where I think Kane would help.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hyman was pretty much exclusively third wheel when in Toronto. Playing with two of: Matthews, Marner, Tavares or Nylander the majority of his time in.

Oilers brought him in to be the 2nd best guy on a line and thought it would be fine.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hyman scores at a good rate. He’s a 20-30 goal guy but he’s more of a garbage cleanup guy than a pure sniper which is what I think your referencing. This is where I think Kane would help.

yeah, but at this pay scale I was hoping for more like Ryan Smyth like hands and clean up around the net. Truth be told I think he could go to the net more than he is lately. He started off well here, its really drizzled down. He scored 6G in first 6games with us. I mean nobody thought anything like that would be sustained but I was hoping for a 30 goal pace. He has 5 goals in the Oilers last 30 games.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
At some point- every single player coming here and regressing, then going elsewhere and flourishing, is 100% a coaching issue (and most likely a larger organizational issue).
I'd lean towards organizational...

Most the coaches that come here do find coaching work elsewhere in the NHL.

Our GM's do not and I'll go on a limb and say Holland won't get another job as an NHL GM again either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hyman was pretty much exclusively third wheel when in Toronto. Playing with two of: Matthews, Marner, Tavares or Nylander the majority of his time in.

Oilers brought him in to be the 2nd best guy on a line and thought it would be fine.

Thats partly what I'm saying. He's just a third. He's shown himself to be incapable of supporting offense as a second on a line. He's not appreciably different than a Kassian or a Maroon seeing all the same minutes. Except those players add some physicality once in awhile. We're paying way too much for a replaceable third that doesn't move any offense on his own. He doesn't create, and lately he doesn't finish anything. Hyman last scored a goal December 1 2021. That is just brutal.

Hyman hasn't scored one goal the whole time the team has been in this struggle and fleshing out and filling out the lineup, to get more team scoring consistency was the reason he was brought in here. Hyman is suspect defensively and doesn't bring much else than scoring. He's not doing that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Coincidentally that’s when this stretch started. I don’t think you can point to a single oiler in the top 6 who has played well since then and that includes Connor and Leon.

This is true. But Connor is always given the best linemates, and doing nothing with them. Do you think Drai would struggle as much with Pulju and Hyman on either side for months? I don't think he would.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Come on. For decades now I've had discussions that X teams using analytics is "proof: of their validity. Sorry, its proof of only anecdote. The Edmonton Oilers under Eakins were heavy proponents of analytics, but then that denounced as "they weren't using them properly" which is laughable because at the time Tyler Dellows (whats he doing now) was being propped as some kind of wizard within that analytics community.

For every team that uses analytics heavy and has success, theres ones that don't. Further I can produce 10 articles purporting that its not completely known what type of added information, or advanced stats X teams are using in their decision making and how.

By all means I like to observe information, to learn, to find out more about established things. I'm simply saying that much of hockey analytics isn't really delineating all that much useful information. Now thats a position stated, people can respond by telling me what is clearly deduced, and how the information is effectively used further to success. But just uttering "Tampa Bay" isn't adequate response.

Lol at the other poster deducing "sorry you don't like math" when it should be obvious to readers that I love information, and stats.

I think the biggest issue with Eakins was he was a proponent of the swarm which won't work past peewee.

I honestly think they found Kulikov with analytics since he's bad great underlying numbers. Then they pulled the plug "your nerd shit didn't work see".

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Completely disagree. Hyman is a guy that can make things happen due to his skating, doggedness on the puck and skill. Kassian is skilled but nowhere near the player that Hyman is. Pulju is in a funk and Hyman has been battling injuries. That said, both of them looked better with McLeod than they have with Connor lately. Take from that what you will.

Hyman scores, just because he's in a slump doesn't mean that he won't end up with 20+. Is he a sniper? No.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Completely disagree. Hyman is a guy that can make things happen due to his skating, doggedness on the puck and skill. Kassian is skilled but nowhere near the player that Hyman is. Pulju is in a funk and Hyman has been battling injuries. That said, both of them looked better with McLeod than they have with Connor lately. Take from that what you will.

Hyman scores, just because he's in a slump doesn't mean that he won't end up with 20+. Is he a sniper? No.
Hyman skates a lot, while adding little. He doesn't have good hands and isn't as good as expected finishing. Kass, like I said given a constant linemate of Drai would score 20 goals. In the same assignment, and for less money.

Maroon scored as much as Hyman and was a far better player all round. Adding more to the room as well in addition to his physicality.

Like I say I don't mind the Hyman add but he was never the right get. We need some shooter that can score off wing. he sure ain't that.

That said I'm guilty of recency bias and wanting some goals now. I mean its hard to see that Hyman scored more goals in first 6GP than he has all season since. sigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hyman set up the 4th tying goal last game, too bad the team crapped the bed after that again. Should have gotten at least a point out of that game.

Too bad we were shorthanded after that. I think without that PP for the Sens the game goes into extra time. Lots of times our guy gets clipped and no call. just saying.

We don't have a good pk right now. Nuge, Archie, even guys like Khaira no longer around. We used to have a decent pk but its been nose diving for months. Another thing wrong with the lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Edmonton has to be a difficult place to play during pandemic. Depressing winters, little sunlight, and hit harder by Omicron than almost anywhere else. Its basically impossible for a player to play here and not get Covid. Other clubs aren't dealing with this many infections in addition to our injury games lost.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Edmonton has to be a difficult place to play during pandemic. Depressing winters, little sunlight, and hit harder by Omicron than almost anywhere else. Its basically impossible for a player to play here and not get Covid. Other clubs aren't dealing with this many infections in addition to our injury games lost.

I posted a link in the OOT thread that lists days on protocol per team. Breaks it down further if you click on the link. Jets just appear to be starting their infection stage.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The Oilers way.

Trade for/sign the third best player on a line, expect them to be the best player on a line and then wonder why they fail.

Reactions: Spawn

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Another day and the privileged assholes who have sewered this franchise feeling even more secure in their job security?

Failing upwards never felt so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad