Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Don't get me wrong.. I thought Hyman was a good signing. It will eventually burn us but for 'win now' mode it was great.

Having said that, Leafs seem to be doing just fine without him and that sucks.lol

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

Don't get me wrong.. I thought Hyman was a good signing. It will eventually burn us but for 'win now' mode it was great.

Having said that, Leafs seem to be doing just fine without him and that sucks.lol

Leafs have a hellofa good goalie. Consistent with very few blunders.
Oilers have a hellofa blundering goalie with very little consistency

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Leafs have a hellofa good goalie. Consistent with very few blunders.
Oilers have a hellofa blundering goalie with very little consistency

And Hyman has been banged up a bit. He looked much better in our last game. McDavid has been out of sorts and that hasn't helped his or Pulju's game lately IMO.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
So Oilers suck, there is like 1 game a week, McDrai suck (in context of their norm), GM sucks and wont make changes, Coach sucks and wont be fired, goalies suck and do everything they can to keep this team form winning.

Being an Oilers fan sucks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

We paid too much for Dustin Penner. We paid too much for Zach Hyman. Similar dynamic. Evidence of an org all out of ideas, and that can't scout to save their lives looking to plunder somebody elses players and thinking its genius. Indeed its striking how little has changed.

Overall it was a case of association and mistaken attributes. This happens so often in hockey world its painful to observe. Because X player in Junior, or on another team plays with other X players NHL teams and their clever boys try to sort out which players are doing what and are either integral to the lines or basically along for the ride. Sometimes the deduction should be easier, sometimes it should be more clear.

I mean look at the Aho pick. How is that player available in the 2nd round? Its equally unclear how the Canes even selected Hanifen in the first round. Depending on how you look at it one could make the statement that every NHL team f***ed their file on Aho. That we observe a hockey world that doesn't really know or discern all that well. That Scouting is still largely archaic, misunderstood, subject to bias, whim.

Even on top teams, with some of the best hockey people around, like the Canes they can still get confused. Theres no way a Hanifen should be picked before a pure talent like Aho. But then again every other NHL team abjectedly failed the test. Aho was hardly even on their radar.

Reactions: Czechboy

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Geez I really thought Skinner was going to play better but he is still young. One game after 10 off I'd still start him vs Florida to see what happens. Not going to give up on him after 1 bad period

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Geez I really thought Skinner was going to play better but he is still young. One game after 10 off I'd still start him vs Florida to see what happens. Not going to give up on him after 1 bad period
Leave Koski to get demolished by Florida. Skinner needs confidence.

Reactions: elmeroil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So Oilers suck, there is like 1 game a week, McDrai suck (in context of their norm), GM sucks and wont make changes, Coach sucks and wont be fired, goalies suck and do everything they can to keep this team form winning.

Being an Oilers fan sucks.

We are the Cleveland Browns of the NHL. Those ugly ass orange jerseys just about match the Browns shade of orange too. May as well get rid of the blue trim with brown to complete the look.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Unfortunately there's a lot less good, cheap Alberta boys who want to play in Edmonton than there are Ontario boys that want to play in Toronto.

Reactions: TB12 and Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Unfortunately there's a lot less good, cheap Alberta boys who want to play in Edmonton than there are Ontario boys that want to play in Toronto.
True... But if you look at the value their gm is getting out of a similarly top heavy cap roster.. it's amazing compared to how little we are getting.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
True... But if you look at the value their gm is getting out of a similarly top heavy cap roster.. it's amazing compared to how little we are getting.

I'd say that's a big part of it though. They can get guys like Bunting, Spezza and Simmonds for close to league minimum because they all want to play there.

Holland overpays for garbage because no one wants to join this shit show.

Reactions: TB12

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Come on. For decades now I've had discussions that X teams using analytics is "proof: of their validity. Sorry, its proof of only anecdote. The Edmonton Oilers under Eakins were heavy proponents of analytics, but then that denounced as "they weren't using them properly" which is laughable because at the time Tyler Dellows (whats he doing now) was being propped as some kind of wizard within that analytics community. .

He's VP of Hockey Analytics for the New Jersey Devils.

For every team that uses analytics heavy and has success, theres ones that don't. Further I can produce 10 articles purporting that its not completely known what type of added information, or advanced stats X teams are using in their decision making and how.

Every team (with the notable exception of the Oilers) now has a robust analytics department. Weird that they would spend resources on something you say are "unsubstantiated."

Reactions: foshizzle

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'd say that's a big part of it though. They can get guys like Bunting, Spezza and Simmonds for close to league minimum because they all want to play there.

Holland overpays for garbage because no one wants to join this shit show.

Or they are bad at assessing talent and target the wrong players as a result.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
We paid too much for Dustin Penner. We paid too much for Zach Hyman. Similar dynamic. Evidence of an org all out of ideas, and that can't scout to save their lives looking to plunder somebody elses players and thinking its genius. Indeed its striking how little has changed.

Overall it was a case of association and mistaken attributes. This happens so often in hockey world its painful to observe. Because X player in Junior, or on another team plays with other X players NHL teams and their clever boys try to sort out which players are doing what and are either integral to the lines or basically along for the ride. Sometimes the deduction should be easier, sometimes it should be more clear.

I mean look at the Aho pick. How is that player available in the 2nd round? Its equally unclear how the Canes even selected Hanifen in the first round. Depending on how you look at it one could make the statement that every NHL team f***ed their file on Aho. That we observe a hockey world that doesn't really know or discern all that well. That Scouting is still largely archaic, misunderstood, subject to bias, whim.

Even on top teams, with some of the best hockey people around, like the Canes they can still get confused. Theres no way a Hanifen should be picked before a pure talent like Aho. But then again every other NHL team abjectedly failed the test. Aho was hardly even on their radar.
Because they are kids when they get drafted and it's a big unknown how they will develop over their careers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or they are bad at assessing talent and target the wrong players as a result.

That too, but when was the last time someone said they wanted to come to Edmonton who wasn't on a big money retirement contract?

And I'm not making excuses for Holland. He's a big reason why this team is a shit show that no one wants to join.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
That too, but when was the last time someone said they wanted to come to Edmonton who wasn't on a big money retirement contract?

And I'm not making excuses for Holland. He's a big reason why this team is a shit show that no one wants to join.

People hate to hear it but it’s still Edmonton and the only way to attract players here will be winning. People may hate Toronto but it’s still a much better city in the eyes of rich young millionaires.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011

At some point- every single player coming here and regressing, then going elsewhere and flourishing, is 100% a coaching issue (and most likely a larger organizational issue).

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

The problem isn't overpaying guys per se, it's overpaying the wrong guys.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Adda stay positive boyo!

I feel like Holland could redeem himself and maybe save the season if he does.... <insert something>

• Coaching Change
  • Trade
  • Acquisition/Signing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad