Fire Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
you dont want us to say he was good just cuz hes gone but youre here saying hes terrible just because hes gone...

the guys a good player.. if i had to choose between him and boedker and bergman. i choose hoffman. for cicumstances out fo our control, he is gone.

Hoffman obviously comes with a ton of baggage. The way he hissy fit his way around the Dave Cameron standoff to me speak to all you need to know about his character. Weak.

He can shoot the puck, outside of that his hockey IQ is a hard F

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Remember those rumours about Ray Shero becoming GM before Murray stepped down. He was even in the press box during Sens games and all.

What the f*** have we done to anger the hockey gods so much? Tease after tease...

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Where’s smug Dorion right now?? This clown used to love being on camera and make foolish comments to the media.

Spineless idiot is shook right now and everything is falling apart around him. Hopefully that’ll erase his shit attitude.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Where’s smug Dorion right now?? This clown used to love being on camera and make foolish comments to the media.

Spineless idiot is shook right now and everything is falling apart around him. Hopefully that’ll erase his **** attitude.

Lmfao this got me. So true.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hoffman obviously comes with a ton of baggage. The way he hissy fit his way around the Dave Cameron standoff to me speak to all you need to know about his character. Weak.

whatever Hoffman was or was not as a locker room presence, saying stuff like had F grade hockey sense is just wrong.Hoffman was one of our better players and before Duchene he was only 1/2 forward on the roster that you could rely on to create chances consistently. His shot and speed were apparent but Hoffmans playmaking and defensive game gets really underrated. He had moments where he would mistakes or lose his concentration but far more often he used his speed to make defensive plays no other forwards could make on our roster.

He was a dynamic player and had a skill level we desperately needed.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
The only way for Dorion to redeem himself in my eyes is a complete tear-down. Trade Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone. Either get our pick back from Colorado, or get a top-10 pick in this draft and give up the 4OA to Colorado. Take on expiring frontloaded cap-anchor contracts from bigger teams in exchange for picks and prospects. Use some of the salary savings to expand our scouting and analytics departments.

Doesn't make sense to rebuild if we don't have our pick next year. If we don't have Karlsson next year, we're definitely rebuilding. Just trade him before the draft and get what you can.

e: If they do this, I will legitimately be excited for hockey in Ottawa going forward, and will actually try to watch the games. If they try to do a half-assed non-rebuild, and tank next year without a top pick to get excited about, I'm either going to lose my interest in the NHL or find another team to cheer for (likely the one Karlsson plays for).

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hoffman isn’t a great hockey player so let’s not build him up to be one of the best Sens forwards ever now that he’s gone, he wasn’t, he’s a floater, unchoachabel, obvious locket room cancer and has no natural chemistry with anyone.

Hoffman was fantastic with Duchene, they complimented each other very well and its unlucky that we wont get to see that duo,

Furthermore Hoffman scored 29 goals playing with Pageau and Smith. H was a catalyst at his best.

It always annoys me when people suddenly start saying that the player we traded was actually awful all along and that we're better off without him because they are liabilities on the ice. It's probably going to happen with Karlsson too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

players with Hard F's inthe hockey IQ department rarely make the NHL let alone put up points and goals in it.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
So I'm about to destroy the last shred of any creditability I might have had on this board:

Depending on how things turn out with 65 between now and Jul 1, I only have a big problem with two of Dorion's transactions. That's taking into account what he was trying to accomplish at the time.

1. Anderson extension - As was pointed out at the time, it was completely unnecessary, and if Anderson holds at this past year's performance, really will hurt the team.
2. Burrows extension - This is as much a problem with deployment as with the contract itself.$2.5M shouldn't be crippling. Burrows on PP1 is. But if that's what it took to get Burrows, get someone else.

Every other transaction that I saw listed at the trade deadline made sense at the time. Today's move could make sense, if it leads to an EK extension, which I think it will. If it doesn't, then I'll change my avatar to the JerkStore tire fire and give up hope.

Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
players with Hard F's inthe hockey IQ department rarely make the NHL let alone put up points and goals in it.

I don’t like his hockey IQ, call him one-dimensional.

I wasn’t ever a Hoffman fan, amazing shot, but overall I’m a guy who likes players who play to win and not play to score.

Won’t miss seeing Hoffman puck hog the puck for 3 zones and then get it taken away, and not backcheck on his giveaway.

I’m a guy who believes you need 2 way players on every line to win (Fisher, Alfie, Hossa, Vermette) - so I’m actually happy to see Hoffman go.

I don’t think dorion made a great trade, but I also was never a Hoffman fan so I won’t miss him at all

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
O’Sullivan lol. Wouldn’t believe anything that comes out of that fools mouth. Trying to hop on this bandwagon while it’s still moving

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman was fantastic with Duchene, they complimented each other very well and its unlucky that we wont get to see that duo

You're right but it remains to be seen what they would have done when there was actual pressure. Hoffman was one of many passengers on this team when crunch time arrived last year. He turned it up when the games didn't matter anymore. It's one of the reasons he was traded so fast imo.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So I'm about to destroy the last shred of any creditability I might have had on this board:

Depending on how things turn out with 65 between now and Jul 1, I only have a big problem with two of Dorion's transactions. That's taking into account what he was trying to accomplish at the time.

1. Anderson extension - As was pointed out at the time, it was completely unnecessary, and if Anderson holds at this past year's performance, really will hurt the team.
2. Burrows extension - This is as much a problem with deployment as with the contract itself.$2.5M shouldn't be crippling. Burrows on PP1 is. But if that's what it took to get Burrows, get someone else.

Every other transaction that I saw listed at the trade deadline made sense at the time. Today's move could make sense, if it leads to an EK extension, which I think it will. If it doesn't, then I'll change my avatar to the JerkStore tire fire and give up hope.

You're not totally out to lunch, but the hyperbole about Dorion needing to be fired because he's the worst GM to ever GM a NHL team is way out of hand. Seriously. Look down the highway at Montreal. Bergevin makes Dorion look like a MENSA member.

But I digress. Dorion has had his mistakes. Burrows trade and extension was a head scratcher for sure. The Anderson contract also. I'd add the Thompson contract (why the NTC?), but at least he got out of that one.

The one that really grinds my gears is replacing Methot with Oduya. That one really kicked the team in the arse, especially when EK wasn't close to 100% to start the year.

Other than that, he hasn't blown his wad on anything unforgivable. He was backed into one hell of a corner by Hoffman's (allegedly) psychotic fiancé. I really don't think he had many options there, other than to maybe try and trade him during the playoffs?

What's crazy is that the team isn't thaaaaat far from being respectable again. They have the 1C, 1RW and 1D (if EK stays) and backup 1D (Chabot). As long as they don't do something stupid, they can build on that. Name me one rebuilding team that has Duchene, Stone and EK as foundation blocks? Exactly. Find a #2D for Karlsson. Doesn't need to be a superhero. Filip frigging Kuba did the job. Find a Kuba.

Next is to find a skilled LW. Will that be someone from this draft? I'm not sure, but Duchene was best with Hoffman, so find Duchene a Hoffman-ish type of player.

Then all that's left is to either cut the dead weight or wait for dead weight contracts to expire and replace with youth and skill (Formenton, Batherson, White, Chlpaik, Gagner, Perron...etc). Give it a year or two to gel and boom. Speedy and skilled team that can skate and compete, and won't break the bank.

Reactions: pzeeman

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
whatever Hoffman was or was not as a locker room presence, saying stuff like had F grade hockey sense is just wrong.Hoffman was one of our better players and before Duchene he was only 1/2 forward on the roster that you could rely on to create chances consistently. His shot and speed were apparent but Hoffmans playmaking and defensive game gets really underrated. He had moments where he would mistakes or lose his concentration but far more often he used his speed to make defensive plays no other forwards could make on our roster.

He was a dynamic player and had a skill level we desperately needed.

And now . . . we desperately need it even more!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only way for Dorion to redeem himself in my eyes is a complete tear-down. Trade Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone. Either get our pick back from Colorado, or get a top-10 pick in this draft and give up the 4OA to Colorado. Take on expiring frontloaded cap-anchor contracts from bigger teams in exchange for picks and prospects. Use some of the salary savings to expand our scouting and analytics departments.

Doesn't make sense to rebuild if we don't have our pick next year. If we don't have Karlsson next year, we're definitely rebuilding. Just trade him before the draft and get what you can.

e: If they do this, I will legitimately be excited for hockey in Ottawa going forward, and will actually try to watch the games. If they try to do a half-assed non-rebuild, and tank next year without a top pick to get excited about, I'm either going to lose my interest in the NHL or find another team to cheer for (likely the one Karlsson plays for).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
In some ways, and this may be my cynical side, Hoffman's gf did Melnyk a big favor in moving Hoffman to clear some money to sign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene. I didn't believe that he was going to sign those without moving someone who was movable, and what would have been a clear salary dump because of not having money, is now perceived as a salary dump because Hoffman's value, thanks to his gf, plummeted.

In any event, too early to fire Dorion over a trade that he was never, ever going to win. I want to see what and how he gets the core signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad