Fire Pierre Dorion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Also, a 2nd round pick is not a late pick. A 5th and 6th doesn’t excite me, but a second is fine. If you’re rebuilding, take the picks. You can still fill out your roster easily enough.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Former NHLer Patrick O'Sullivan, who still has plenty of friends and contacts around the league, confirmed this on Twitter...

Wow, that's pretty shocking to see clarified so precisely.

I mean I assumed like 90% of these guys are spoiled d bags, but that sounds pretty toxic.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I forgot people around here actually believe that burning it down and "rebuilding" is a valid strategy.

Rebuilding works sometimes, but not always. Ideally we would have stuck with our 2011 rebuild, but we didn’t.

I’m for building around Karlsson, Duchene and Stone, but I’m not sure that will happen. I’m preparing for Karlsson to leave. I don’t want it, but that’s what I think will happen.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Rebuilding works sometimes, but not always. Ideally we would have stuck with our 2011 rebuild, but we didn’t.

I’m for building around Karlsson, Duchene and Stone, but I’m not sure that will happen. I’m preparing for Karlsson to leave. I don’t want it, but that’s what I think will happen.
Until an EK trade happens, there is no need for a teardown.

IF Melnyk lowballs and then trades EK, I really hope they attach Ryan to the deal and kill the return. It will make it so much easier to get protests going.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Patrick O'Sullivan is also saying that Karlsson is disliked in the room according to his follow up response to questions on his tweet.

That would be a bit of a turn of events.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Until an EK trade happens, there is no need for a teardown.

Exactly. What do we hope to achieve in a rebuild? Acquire one of the best players in the league? We already have that. We need to fix the locker room issues and fill our holes. We have a great 1C and 1RW, and the best defenseman in the world. We can build around that.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Exactly. What do we hope to achieve in a rebuild? Acquire one of the best players in the league? We already have that. We need to fix the locker room issues and fill our holes. We have a great 1C and 1RW, and the best defenseman in the world. We can build around that.

Absolutely, but what if Karlsson doesn’t want to stay? Losing him next summer for nothing is not an option. It’s either re-sign him or trade him.

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Patrick O'Sullivan is also saying that Karlsson is disliked in the room according to his follow up response to questions on his tweet.

That would be a bit of a turn of events.
I read the same thing, but didn't want to install iTunes just to listen to the podcast and confirm.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Absolutely, but what if Karlsson doesn’t want to stay? Losing him next summer for nothing is not an option. It’s either re-sign him or trade him.
If he tells the Sens he's testing free agency and won't extend with anyone, then I keep him to the TDL before moving him.

His value won't change significantly.
He'll help the Sens in the standings and depress the value of the pick the Avs hold.
The Sens may be sold and he might choose to re-sign at that point.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

You can delay this decision if you want though. We could hold on to Karlsson and re-assess as the trade deadline nears - Karlsson probably retains the majority of his value in this scenario. Lebrun floated this idea on TSN today as something the Sens are apparently kicking around internally. Make of that what you will I guess.

If Dorion is worried about that 2019 pick, this is probably his only real avenue for mitigation. We know Melnyk isn't going to open the vault and allow him to bring in players [read: money], so having a healthy Karlsson play ~60 games is probably the best chance they have to reduce the odds of punting off a high lottery pick.

Just something to think about.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You can delay this decision if you want though. We could hold on to Karlsson and re-assess as the trade deadline nears - Karlsson probably retains the majority of his value in this scenario. Lebrun floated this idea on TSN today as something the Sens are apparently kicking around internally. Make of that what you will I guess.

If Dorion is worried about that 2019 pick, this is probably his only real avenue for mitigation. We know Melnyk isn't going to open the vault and allow him to bring in players [read: money], so having a healthy Karlsson play ~60 games is probably the best chance they have to reduce the odds of punting off a high lottery pick.

Just something to think about.
That scenario could turn out hilariously bad in so many ways. Dorion sells more futures to avoid further embarrassment, misses the playoffs anyways, doesn't trade Karlsson or Duchene at the deadline cause we're a few points in or out or either of them are injured. Duchene and Karlsson walk anyways. LOL I could actually picture that happening.

That pick is sunk cost, they can't burn the organization down even more just to spite Colorado. Well, I guess they can but they really shouldn't.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It would be insanely risky to start the year with Karlsson not having signed an extension.

So much so, I'd say it would be borderline stupid to do it.

16w

Jun 23, 2003
Apparently Dorion has crunched the numbers and found that upkeep costs for the Spartacat mascot are untenable. Fret not, a replacement has already been named.

new_sens_mascot.jpg

...wake me up when the Sens are in the playoffs

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
A rebuild would be plausible if after 2 years of momentum like the Leafs have ,we wouldn't have to dump some emerging talent because Cheapo doesn't have any cash or a willingness to sell assets to try for greatness at the expense of his dreamy dollar per point glory train. Get rid of HE Who Causes 3000 Empty Seats a Game, and it could be considered, but if we hit the skill lottery on Formenton/Batherson/Brown/our 4th/Gustafsson, and have jettisoned all the other top end skill, then we are looking at 5 years of poop, minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad