Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Free pass? What are you smoking?

This is being posted in a thread 13 pages long called "Fire Hextall"

.....as we are on page 209 of “Fire Hakstol.”

Context. :laugh:

Peters gets more out of a flawed roster. Hakstol doesn't.

No no no. You see how he justifies that is by saying the Hurricanes are MORE talented than the Flyers. Said so last week.

You can never win. All hope is lost.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
.....as we are on page 209 of “Fire Hakstol.”

Context. :laugh:

I'm not comparing firing Hextall to Hakstol -- there is no comparison. Hak needs to go and it is obvious. Still, Hextall hasn't gotten a pass as someone (and many others) have claimed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Vigneault
Sutter
Ruff
Tippett
Gulutzan
Peters
Eakins

Are the available NA guys with HC experience. Lots of promising AHL coachs out there. Several Euro as well.

Dallas and Calgary only teams with vacancies so far.

Peters is off the list and the rest are horrible options.

If it's one of them or Hakstol, I'd rather stick with this idiot for one more year and see what's available next year instead of endin up trading one idiot for another idiot, when we know that whoever comes in will obviously get multiple years before they're at risk of being fired.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

If it's one of them or Hakstol, I'd rather stick with this idiot for one more year and see what's available next year instead of endin up trading one idiot for another idiot, when we know that whoever comes in will obviously get multiple years before they're at risk of being fired.

If we hire any of those guys...
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

So you're saying Hakstol was better than half the guys coaching last year? :sarcasm:

Like any sport, there are only a few really good coaches who can win with any talent, Lavi has proven he isn't one of them, when the talent declined the team nosedived under his watch (same thing happened in NY and Carolina to him). Sullivan crashed in Boston, looks great in Pittsburgh with great talent. I'll give you Babcock, who else? But there are lots of coaches who have deep sixed talented teams.

I have never claimed Hakstol is a good coach, I reserve judgement until 2019-20, when we finally have real talent, you know, like the 2011-12 team. To win in the playoffs you need to roll 3 solid lines and 2 solid D pairs, and your young players need 2-3 years of experience. Look at Nico and Bratt on New Jersey this year. I just don't think the 2017-18 team was that talented, no depth, awful goal tending, stars with flaws.

As long as the rebuild is proceeding it makes more sense to stick with Hakstol. He's managing the young players the way Hextall wants them managed, a strong focus on fundamentals and two way play - yes, they're held to different standards, because you can't fix Voracek, you can fix TK. If you get tired of Voracek's mind farts, you have one option, trade him. Hextall takes a "tough love" approach to prospects, he feels no pressure to promote them just because they're 1st rd picks or fans are clamoring for them.

If in the end, Hakstol can't win with a talented team, Hextall can plug in an experienced coach who runs a similar scheme and see if he can elevate the team he's built. Meanwhile, building the team will continue the next few years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I never said Hakstol was better.

Even if we pick a random one who was slightly better than Hak as an example, I'd rather have 2/10 Hakstol for one year than 3/10 new idiot for 3-4 years.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Already your prepping to defend Hexy next year , zero circumstance this stupid f*** should be the coach next year, ZERO

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Already your prepping to defend Hexy next year , zero circumstance this stupid **** should be the coach next year, ZERO
You're so eager to pretend that I'm biased that you're ignoring common sense.

Getting rid of Hakstol accomplishes nothing if we get stuck with a comparably stupid coach, for longer term... and that's exactly what the guys on that list are. I want to improve the team, not simply change the target of your tantrums.

This has nothing to do with Hextall, who I already said MULTIPLE TIMES needs to fire Hakstol this offseason.

But of course you're too emotional to realize that, so continue ignorantly accusing me of stupid shit.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

Getting rid of Hakstol accomplishes nothing if we get stuck with a comparably stupid coach, for longer term... and that's exactly what the guys on that list are. I want to improve the team, not simply change the target of your tantrums.

This has nothing to do with Hextall, who I already said MULTIPLE TIMES needs to fire Hakstol this offseason.

But of course you're too emotional to realize that, so continue ignorantly accusing me of stupid ****.

there is no godam way any replacement NHL level HC can be as bad or worse then the shitshow that has been Berube/Hakstol...

0.0% chance

Reactions: Rebels57

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

But of course you're too emotional to realize that, so continue ignorantly accusing me of stupid ****.

I called for this clown to,be canned 4 months ago, would also of gave Peters as an option if we chose. So,by your reasoning fair to assume you want another rookie coach, or AHL guy ?

Every day your boy puts this off, potential guys are gone. Peters is the first, wait and see who's next.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
there is no godam way any replacement NHL level HC can be as bad or worse then the ****show that has been Berube/Hakstol...

0.0% chance

Of course their isn't, but he needs outs to defend Hexy for sticking with Haks.

Every guy on that list >>>>> Haks

Name Knob as a interim now to keep your options open

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A year ago I said 2019-20 is the target season for Hextall.
A year later, nothing has changed.
Hextall is building his roster, and he's not concerned with going 1 and out in the playoffs (NJ in 5, CBJ struggling to hang on).
He's putting together a team to compete in the 2020s, not to provide Giroux with a "last hurrah."
So this offseason isn't about "winning," it's about continuing to build up this roster with young talent.

So while y'all kvetch about some scrub veterans playing, it's all part of the plan, I'm sure it pained Ron to part with a 3rd for Mrazek. He's been trying to keep this team competitive without sacrificing any assets that can help them in the next decade.
Next year NAK, Morin and maybe a few others are added, maybe a couple guys in trade/FA (excluding veteran patches, they're stopgaps, not part of the plan). In 2019, a flood of prospects will be knocking on the door.

Two years from now, all the players that have triggered a nonstop litany of complaint will be ancient history. Lehtera who?

Flyer fans are spoiled from thinking the world is still in the pre-cap days when Snider could buy any player who caught his fancy.
And exactly how many Cups did the Flyers win the last 40 years?
So maybe instead of the kneejerk, "win now" attitude, maybe people should start considering what it takes to build a team in today's NHL, and how many teams have tried this and failed.

HCs are basically irrelevant, if you amass enough talent, you can always find a new HC and move pieces around the chessboard.
But without talent you're Carolina, or at best CBJ/NJ/Philly/Fla, marginal teams scrambling to make the playoffs and survive the 1st round.

Hextall has done a great job of adding talent, this summer he's likely to pick #14 and #19, has the option to trade Simmonds and maybe make a blockbuster move with Voracek. In 2-3 years there are going to be a lot of talented players in TC fighting tooth and nail to win a roster spot, and some first rate prospects vying for PT in LHV to show the FO they deserve to be promoted. And that's how you build a Cup contender.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

So how come they got fired? Because of the great jobs they did?
Hakstol has made the playoffs 2 of 3 years with mediocre talent.
Anyone who thing the Flyers have one of the ten most talented teams in the NHL is plumb crazy.
A few good players can't compensate for bottom six forwards, bottom four defense that are below average, and subpar goaltenders.

So if Hakstol can do that with mediocre talent, how bad are the coaches who are sitting at home?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I called for this clown to,be canned 4 months ago, would also of gave Peters as an option if we chose. So,by your reasoning fair to assume you want another rookie coach, or AHL guy ?

Every day your boy puts this off, potential guys are gone. Peters is the first, wait and see who's next.

Peters was never an option, he was going to Calgary. He didn't even interview with another team.

And actually, "by my reasoning", I want a good coach, not a tiny improvement who we're then stuck with for multiple years. The ones listed there are objectively horrible coaches. I don't care where the next guy comes from, whether it's the NHL, AHL, CHL, Europe, or anywhere else. I only care about competence and style.

But again, please continue embarrassing yourself and pretending what I'm saying has anything to do with Hextall. I guess that's the only way you can attempt to dismiss it, because logically you're out of luck. You're so emotionally controlled that you don't care who we get, so long as it's someone different. It doesn't matter if we trade one horrible failure for another horrible failure, so long as you can see the guy you hate fired.

That's a horrible mentality and exactly why your opinion on the topic is worthless. All you're doing is exposing yourself.

Reactions: SuchySays

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Peters was never an option, he was going to Calgary. He didn't even interview with another team.

And actually, "by my reasoning", I want a good coach, not a tiny improvement who we're then stuck with for multiple years. The ones listed there are objectively horrible coaches. I don't care where the next guy comes from, whether it's the NHL, AHL, CHL, Europe, or anywhere else. I only care about competence and style.

But again, please continue embarrassing yourself and pretending what I'm saying has anything to do with Hextall. I guess that's the only way you can attempt to dismiss it, because logically you're out of luck. You're so emotionally controlled that you don't care who we get, so long as it's someone different. It doesn't matter if we trade one horrible failure for another horrible failure, so long as you can see the guy you hate fired.

That's a horrible mentality and exactly why your opinion on the topic is worthless. All you're doing is exposing yourself.

Hak has 2 more years left.

Id rather give someone else those 2 years..

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think people lose sight of the fact that nearly every fanbase thinks its team's coach is a moron and/or should be fired.

Flyers fans hated Terry Murray and clamored for his firing (and got it) after he took them to the Cup final.

Hitchcock has one of the best winning percentages in NHL history; he's been run out of multiple franchises.

The majority of Flyers fans wanted Laviolette gone when his team got off to a bad start. I think most now would take him back.

Rangers fans are sick of Vigneault. Bruce Cassidy was run out of his job with the Caps; now he looks like a genius.

Unless you are winning the championship, the fans turn on you. Like they did with Andy Reid.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So now you say you want the time to hire the right guy, but also said it was idiotic to fire him mid season. Hexy would have 4 extra months to try for the right guy.

Peters would have been an option as we would of had a vacancy.

Why can’t we have an interim while searching for the right guy , why does Haks have to be the only option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad