Fire Hextall

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
definitely time for him to be put on the hot seat. he has assembled a nice group of young players but continues to support a terrible coach who wont use them and has also done a piss poor job of finding even adequate goalies for this team. there are tons of issues with this team but not much matters with the coaching and goaltending hextall has put in place.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Although calling for his head this early seems impulsive and emotionally-fueled, I will say that if he doesn’t make strides with the coaching and goaltending by next deadline I’ll think calling for his head is a pretty reasonable stance. Albeit one I might not necessarily fully agree with. He has to at least try to recognize those issues and fix them though.

Reactions: Rebels57

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Although calling for his head this early seems impulsive and emotionally-fueled, I will say that if he doesn’t make strides with the coaching and goaltending by next deadline I’ll think calling for his head is a pretty reasonable stance. Albeit one I might not necessarily fully agree with. He has to at least try to recognize those issues and fix them though.
I don't care how good a team you assemble if you have a coach like Hakstol you are not going anywhere.

I don't blame the Hakstol. He is a farm animal and inherently not smart. I blame the GM for not ridding ourselves of this idiot.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
i agree and i too dont think he should be fired but the idea that he is this great gm is ridiculous and this is a big offseason for him and the organization. if he doesn't fire the coach at this point he can be completely written off.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Hello.
I'm a new member, long time voyeur.

I've been a supporter of Hextall. However, if Sanheim and lindblom are not regulars next season then I'm going to get on board with firing Hextall. I thought the plan was to build through the system. If he continues to allow Hakstol to favor scrub vets over promising young players then I'll be forced to come to the conclusion that Hextall does not have a plan.

If Morin and Kubel are sacrificed for scrub vets the same as above applies.

I shudder at the prospects of Hakstol being the coach when Carter Hart is ready for the NHL. He would likely play a scrub vet goalie in a playoff series at his expense.

In essence, I'm expecting Hakstol to return and I don't that';s grounds for firing Hextall. However, if Hextall allows him to make the same personnel choices then both need to go. Hextall has to take action to allow the young players to grow.

On another note - I would like to see Vorachek and Simmonds traded this off-season.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Hextall has a longer leash for me. He f***ed up with Hakstol for sure but the rest of the decisions were defendable. It’s only really the Neuvirth re-signing that has had major impacts and was seen to be the wrong move immediately. All the criticism here is with the value of perfect 20/20 hindsight.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Hextall has a longer leash for me. He ****ed up with Hakstol for sure but the rest of the decisions were defendable. It’s only really the Neuvirth re-signing that has had major impacts and was seen to be the wrong move immediately. All the criticism here is with the value of perfect 20/20 hindsight.

It's been obvious for more than a year that Hakstol is not competent. He is saved by the talent on his team to make him look almost respectable.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Hextall has a longer leash for me. He ****ed up with Hakstol for sure but the rest of the decisions were defendable. It’s only really the Neuvirth re-signing that has had major impacts and was seen to be the wrong move immediately. All the criticism here is with the value of perfect 20/20 hindsight.
neuvirth's new deal when you knew he couldnt stay healthy, brian elliott, filppula, lehtera, giving up anything for mrazek, dale weise, etc etc the list goes on and on with questionable decisions/roster moves hextall has made. he has drafted really well but his trades and free agency signings have been mediocre at best.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Other GMs are so bad which is why I haven't jumped on the fire Hextall boat completely. Having said that, I am 100% sure Guentzel wouldn't be given the role he has if he was a prospect in this organization. He probably would have gotten 3 games this year like Martel vs the 9 Goul got.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
neuvirth's new deal when you knew he couldnt stay healthy, brian elliott, filppula, lehtera, giving up anything for mrazek, dale weise, etc etc the list goes on and on with questionable decisions/roster moves hextall has made. he has drafted really well but his trades and free agency signings have been mediocre at best.

Can’t defend the Neuvirth and Weise deals, they’re on Hex. Other than that, it’s all acceptable unless you’re purely dealing with hindsight.

Elliott - He has had a pretty good year... but a bad series. He’s on a great contract and was easily the consensus best goalie available at the time.
Flip and Lehtera - Both were temporary cap dumps in trades that got us good picks. Taking them on has given us Konecny, Frost and the 14th overall. I’d do them both again tomorrow in a heartbeat.
Mrazek - Again, we needed a goalie and he was the best in the market. Who else could we have gone for?

He’s made mistakes, but all GMs do. Hextall has taken a lifeless shell of a franchise and turned it into the best prospect pool in hockey whilst still being a play-off team. We’re going to compete for a long damn time because of Hextall’s management.

Reactions: achdumeingute

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Can’t defend the Neuvirth and Weise deals, they’re on Hex. Other than that, it’s all acceptable unless you’re purely dealing with hindsight.

Elliott - He has had a pretty good year... but a bad series. He’s on a great contract and was easily the consensus best goalie available at the time.
Flip and Lehtera - Both were temporary cap dumps in trades that got us good picks. Taking them on has given us Konecny, Frost and the 14th overall. I’d do them both again tomorrow in a heartbeat.
Mrazek - Again, we needed a goalie and he was the best in the market. Who else could we have gone for?

He’s made mistakes, but all GMs do. Hextall has taken a lifeless shell of a franchise and turned it into the best prospect pool in hockey whilst still being a play-off team. We’re going to compete for a long damn time because of Hextall’s management.
elliott is an average at best goalie.

filppula was the streit deal and has nothing to do with how they got konecny, that was the coburn deal. mrazek was a waste of a pick, lyon could have done just as good or better.

you are seriously overrating hextall as a gm. great drafter, yes, great gm, no.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
elliott is an average at best goalie.

filppula was the streit deal and has nothing to do with how they got konecny, that was the coburn deal. mrazek was a waste of a pick, lyon could have done just as good or better.

you are seriously overrating hextall as a gm. great drafter, yes, great gm, no.

Yeh, I completely misremembered the Flip thing. Still, he’s only really been terrible in his last few months and he’s gone now. It’s not like we’ve been busting at the cap. We got something for a truly useless Streit after all.

Elliott has been a touch better than average. Again, Mrazek is easy to criticise now. Less so at the time, we were all in favour. For both players you’re entirely failing to tell me who else we were supposed to go for.

You’ve left off all the good things he’s done though. He’s moved shumbling corpses in Pronger, Timonen and Streit and got legitimate returns. He’s built an unmatched prospect pipe. He’s drafted like a god. Some of the contract extensions he’s penned have been robbery.

Sure, one or two of his pick ups haven’t worked out. Show me a GM who you can’t say that about?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeh, I completely misremembered the Flip thing. Still, he’s only really been terrible in his last few months and he’s gone now. It’s not like we’ve been busting at the cap. We got something for a truly useless Streit after all.

Elliott has been a touch better than average. Again, Mrazek is easy to criticise now. Less so at the time, we were all in favour. For both players you’re entirely failing to tell me who else we were supposed to go for.

You’ve left off all the good things he’s done though. He’s moved shumbling corpses in Pronger, Timonen and Streit and got legitimate returns. He’s built an unmatched prospect pipe. He’s drafted like a god. Some of the contract extensions he’s penned have been robbery.

Sure, one or two of his pick ups haven’t worked out. Show me a GM who you can’t say that about?
actually i said he was a great drafter. his decisions with the goaltending position and continued support of this coach is a major problem though. as far as trades and free agent signings i said he has been mediocre at best which is completely true. he's made some good moves, and some bad moves. also, lol at saying he got legitimate returns for pronger and streit. he dumped pronger and got a 7th round pick for streit since the mid round pick they got was to do tampa a favor and take an overpaid player majorly on the decline off their hands. getting what he got for timonen was a very good move, agreed there.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
This team was not suppose to be in a playoffs. Elliot Friedman called this year a transitional year for the flyers and I could not agree more. It’s way too early to be firing or wanting hextall to be fired. There will be players that just don’t pan out. Keep drafting and may the best players make it. Coaching well that’s a different story..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers got 98 points and took Pittsburgh to 6 games.

And this playoff showed that the "stars" are as much a product of the system, if Giroux and Ghost and Voracek were as good as people say they are they wouldn't have disappeared for 6 games. Pittsburgh exposed their limitations big time.

Hextall should completely ignore the fanboys and continue rebuilding this team. He has some nice core players and a lot more on the way.
Sanheim and NAK will be starting next year, along with Morin.
Frost, Vorobyev, remains to be seen.
LHV is going to have a deep, talented team next year, full of prospects.

Reactions: hatcher

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Seems like a good time for this gif. If only Hextall had the audacity and sense to say, "Aww f***," this offseason.

Ron-Hextall-reaction.gif

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Its all about goal keeping to keep it close while a team is flat or not scoring . Its amazing how a few BIG saves can get a club going and loosen the team up etc . I believe we out shot the Pens in the one blowout , but Murray was the difference and fought off repeated pressure in the first period . Of course you need to score goals . Interesting stat is that the only 2 PLUS players we have in this series are AMAC and Filpila , go figure .

You know, it’s also all about the benjamins. And all the kings horses and all the kings men. FFS! o_O

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And this playoff showed that the "stars" are as much a product of the system, if Giroux and Ghost and Voracek were as good as people say they are they wouldn't have disappeared for 6 games. Pittsburgh exposed their limitations big time.

I am so confused.

If the stars are a product of the system when they score lots, why are they not a product of the system when they get shut down?

If the system was so good, why did it fail?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hes been GM for four years and we have no idea what his vision is.

I know people on here think they know, but this season went different than a lot of people expected (not the result but the way they got there).

My point is what most of us assumed was the plan proved not to be this year because trash players proved to be more valued than young players.

I just feel like this offseason will be more of the same but it needs to be different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad