Fire Hextall

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
This is a comedy. Manning, MacDonald, Flip, Weisse, Lehetera should not touch the ice. We have the prospects to replace them. Weirdest rebuild I have ever seen.
If they have ANY chance to trade any of these players they have to play, Manning has no chance of this though. I will be extremely disappointed if Flip isn't traded at a minimum this year.

I get "wanting the kids to play", but saying they will replace anyone is absurd. Martel has done nothing, I've watched Konecny with 3 breakaways/clear shots in the last 3 games and get nothing, and then he goes and shakes his head on the bench. I don't think its particularly good to bring young kids up and watch them flail.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I understand saying your team hasn't been as bad as the record shows of late. They're not. They haven't been boat raced in most of these games, and there are positives.

But the negatives are the same persistent negatives pervasive in almost all of these games. Most go back to last year. Going into their shell, awful personnel usage, a toothless team outside of the top line (with the other things playing a role). There is something rotten with how they are playing and coached. They have enough talent to be a playoff team; they have some dynamic young players who, instead of being scapegoated like Hexy did, are ready to help the team if given an iota of trust; they have the second best line in the league. That's why you're not getting boat raced. It has nothing to do with the nitty gritty process of the team as a whole.

At least fire Lappy. Give us blood dammit.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Hextall has done a great job of cleaning some of the ship (Pronger, Grossman, L. Schenn, Lecavalier) and building up the prospect pool, but what we're seeing now is he failure to recognize that there exists steps between being a lottery team and cup contenders.

Having a sexy prospect pool is nice but when you can't evaluate pro talent or coaching staff you're going to wind up mitigating their impact and development.

For an organization deep in the rebuild and youth movement it really doesn't feel that way. Limiting the youth's minutes, awarding the same veterans for years of miserable play, and going to the media to praise the positive of a nine game losing streak should speak volumes about the direction Hextall has gladly sent us spiraling into.

I really have given up on expecting him to be held accountable, but it won't stop me from wishing otherwise.

Reactions: macleish1974

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
There is a problem rn in Philadelphia and Ronald doesn't seem to think there is a problem. That is a big problem in and of itself.
This is what he says. You have no real idea what he thinks (unless you read minds). I don't know if you know this, but management lies. They get paid to lie.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
At least Homer knew how to make a team competitive. 4 years of Hextall later and we're the worst we've been under his tenure.

I mean no one has to convince me, my (frequently changing) username has been a tribute to the BIG MONEY SIGN 'EM TRADE 'EM WHAT DRAFT? days of yore. I love that wild video game shit.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
what we're seeing now is he failure to recognize that there exists steps between being a lottery team and cup contenders.
Umm, there was absolutely no path to being a cup contender for this team.

What possible UFAs could have been signed in the last 2 years to accelerate our fortunes SO significantly to make us contenders.
What possible players could he have traded for (meaning actual trades that happenend) that we could have been even competitive in pulling off?

We are rebuilding, the only realistic way to do it now, with patience and time and internal prospects. If the team is not a serious contender by 2022, then he 100% deserves to be fired.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I have a very hard time saying fire Hextall. You gotta respect what he has built, and what he has managed to get rid of.

But he does need to recognize the lifeless environment around this team right now. He probably doesn't want to disrupt things in the delusion of playoff hopes. Now if Hak isn't fired after this season (or after going into a deep digit losing streak), then I'll believe we have a serious issue.

Reactions: Curufinwe

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
At least Homer knew how to make a team competitive. 4 years of Hextall later and we're the worst we've been under his tenure.
Homer had a thing called real UFA he could use, he could also give lame circumvention contracts to attract players.

What franchise altering forwards have changed hands in UFA since the last CBA? Stasny is the best one I am recalling....not really a game changer. Lots of OLD men and glorified 3rd liners go and get overpaid with bad contracts though. We were also cap screwed with some of our own bad decisions like Vinny for some of those years.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You do realize that we had to do this deep rebuild thru the draft because there was nothing left in the cupboard.

And holmgren had no cap when started...lot easier to fix mistakes.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
You do realize that we had to do this deep rebuild thru the draft because there was nothing left in the cupboard.

What good players even become UFA anymore. There is no incentive. Look at Turris...he's a good 2nd liner, he could have been a UFA, but he gets traded and locked up immediately. There was no incentive for him to go to UFA, he got the deal he wanted from his current team.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Umm, there was absolutely no path to being a cup contender for this team.

What possible UFAs could have been signed in the last 2 years to accelerate our fortunes SO significantly to make us contenders.
What possible players could he have traded for (meaning actual trades that happenend) that we could have been even competitive in pulling off?

We are rebuilding, the only realistic way to do it now, with patience and time and internal prospects. If the team is not a serious contender by 2022, then he 100% deserves to be fired.

First of all I am not saying we should have been a cup contender by now. We could, however, be showing signs of progress as a unit over the past 4 years.

Hiring competent coaching staffs at the NHL or AHL level, keeping Brayden Schenn on the roster instead of picks and cap dumps, not awarding MacDonald, Manning, and Lehtera with guaranteed roster spots over kids that we are allegedly building around would all be nice starts. You know, the sort of basic stuff that doesn't intentionally hurt your own team for the sake of patience.

2022 is a completely arbitrary cutoff date that is my exact issue with this broken "process." Hextall can't be held accountable without accusations of impatience. Even if I do agree with the 2022 contender date, don't you think we should start improving immediately if that is in anyway a realistic goal?

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Yes, I do realize the fallout from Holmgren's tenure. The Holmgren haters can't seem to acknowledge that there are positives and negatives to his philosophy of GMing, just like there would be with any other GM. While we were left in a tough, depleted situation following his tenure at the very least we were f***ing competitive enough to make the playoffs and get 2 wins away from the Stanley Cup.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
"I"m a Drama Queen and it would be cute to make a matching Thread Title for 'Fire Hakstol' instead of being based on a real argument" should be the name of this thread title.

Hextall is one of a handful of things going amazingly well for this org. If he fires Hak, you'll be over it. Judgement day is coming for Hakstol...taking HExtall's job would be mind-numbingly stupid despite whether or not you think Morin should be up or Hak should be fired now.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Nope. Hextall stays. He was given a near possible assignment of keeping the team competitive while rebuilding. There was no win for Hextall on that. However, his coaching choices have been horrible. He needs to hit homeruns on his next coaching hires, for certain.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Redpath-
Yes but it's like maxing out a credit card to buy the nicest shit, then blaming the poor soul that has to pay that card off the next decade.

2009, 2010, 2011 produced 2 players still in the NHL....one on our team. We are paying today for that gap in bad drafting.

2012 guys are Ghost, Laughton, Leier
Lots of the most recent drafts are not here yet.

Point is, that 2009-2011 guys are the 24-26 year olds that should be in their prime, and we have 1 guy helping us....Couts. You just can't have long gaps of bad drafting as it catches you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->