Fire Hextall

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
elliott is an average at best goalie.

filppula was the streit deal and has nothing to do with how they got konecny, that was the coburn deal. mrazek was a waste of a pick, lyon could have done just as good or better.

you are seriously overrating hextall as a gm. great drafter, yes, great gm, no.
you are not seeing the full picture. Hextall has not had a reason to advance the team to win now mode...now may very well be the time. We will find out in june.

Neuvy was the expansion draft requirement goalie....now we sure could have went out and gotten another cheapo to do that....but please neuvy has a 2 yr deal on a average deal.

He and Elliot are both paid like average goalies which they are.

Who is the STUD goalie that hextall missed out on.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
the year hextalls contract is up is when he will feel the need to make any real moves to win. he was already given the ok to do what he's doing, building the farm and fixing the cap. as long as he can make the playoffs or have an excuse for barely missing then he can keep playing kick the can and we can keep saying we're 2 years away from playing for the cup.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Hextall shares a lot of blame for the last couple of years, but all in all I would like to see how he would do with a real head coach. Hextall seems to have the right idea how to build a franchise but he lacks the courage to pull bigger moves that are needed.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hextall shares a lot of blame for the last couple of years, but all in all I would like to see how he would do with a real head coach. Hextall seems to have the right idea how to build a franchise but he lacks the courage to pull bigger moves that are needed.

Somewhat ridiculous post.

Lots wrong with it, but main thing is this: Hexy's plan isn't to pull the trigger on any big moves prematurely -- when he plans on adding a gun, it'll be this or next season (since specific contracts are coming off the books). Then we'll be more ready to compete.

Just like with everything with Hextall: just be patient -- it'll come.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
you are not seeing the full picture. Hextall has not had a reason to advance the team to win now mode...now may very well be the time. We will find out in june.

This. Hextall is getting blamed for not making a big "compete now" move when we have NOT been in position to win now and frankly it hasn't been in the master plan for a while. How do people forget that?

It's similar to a rebuild, except we actually kept some cornerstone All-Stars (because we can afford to). This offseason is when I expect Hextall to start making those moves. Lots of cap to play with and top picks to trade.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Somewhat ridiculous post.

Lots wrong with it, but main thing is this: Hexy's plan isn't to pull the trigger on any big moves prematurely -- when he plans on adding a gun, it'll be this or next season (since specific contracts are coming off the books). Then we'll be more ready to compete.

Just like with everything with Hextall: just be patient -- it'll come.

One of the biggest moves Hextall has not had courage to do is firing Hakstol. It's not just about adding the right players in the team. It's also about getting rid of useless players or staff. Hextall has tolerated bad coaching and bad players when he has had chance to make changes.

Hextall is not going to fix this team with a one single move. He'll need to do several and it all revolves around bringing in the young talent. Actually this current season was better in this regard. It was last season that was a greater failure. Hägg and Morin should have made regular players in 16-17.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
This. Hextall is getting blamed for not making a big "compete now" move when we have NOT been in position to win now and frankly it hasn't been in the master plan for a while. How do people forget that?

It's similar to a rebuild, except we actually kept some cornerstone All-Stars (because we can afford to). This offseason is when I expect Hextall to start making those moves. Lots of cap to play with and top picks to trade.

Agreed but he better does it.

Team is about to break out and we have lots of options to replace the dead weight without sacrificing crazy money or picks.

Filppula, Lehterä, Manning, MacDonald, Read and even Weise are pretty easy to cut off and we do have reinforcements and/or picks to upgrade everywhere.

Simmonds, Gudas and Hägg are good to great trade assets if the management wants to do so.

This off-season will show if Hextall wants to take the next big step..

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I feel like Hextall is putting all his chips in the Hart basket, which I’m fine with. But we need an actual goalie next year, I can’t watch this next year

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I feel like Hextall is putting all his chips in the Hart basket, which I’m fine with. But we need an actual goalie next year, I can’t watch this next year

I've read on the main boards that exactly three NHL teams are interested in czech goaltender Pavel Francouz. I am curious if we are one of them since he could be a stop-gap until Hart is ready.

Pavel Francouz

Neuvirth-Francouz?

Would only fit into our never-ending goalie caroussel.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
After waking up, common sense takes over and most likely he won't fire Hak as he pushed so hard to get him and he would have to,admit he's wrong.

If this is the case, it is his responsibility to ensure there are zero trash vets for Dave to employ. No Mannings, No Torgos, Read, Flip. If he brings in a vet on D, it can't be trash. This also means he has to buy out or waive Farmer and Torgo as this idiot will not healthy scratch them.

He will also have to,start To meddle , Haks has proven he can't have full control.

Last he has to,trade for a goalie , as the Hakshell needs an above average goalie to close out games.

Reactions: macleish1974

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think the whole pushed so hard to get him thing should be defunct. He's been the head coach for essentially 3 full seasons, and only barely got into the playoffs twice, while failing to get past game 6 in both first rounds (and the other year not making it at all). While the team has had its winning streaks with Hak, they've had as many losing streaks. The wild inconsistency from game to game and the with the choice of quality of players should ring alarm bells for Hexy on Hak. I don't think Hak is in the position he thought it was once in, especially after 3 failed seasons, especially when better coaches have gotten fired while having better play.

I truly hope that Hexy drops the rose colored glasses and sees that he can get someone better for this team, and if at least, someone new to the fold to breathe life into the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What does the coaching market look like this offseason?

Vigneault
Sutter
Ruff
Tippett
Gulutzan
Peters
Eakins

Are the available NA guys with HC experience. Lots of promising AHL coachs out there. Several Euro as well.

Dallas and Calgary only teams with vacancies so far.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hart could very well be 2 years away as well. A stopgap upgrade is necessary.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One of the biggest moves Hextall has not had courage to do is firing Hakstol. It's not just about adding the right players in the team. It's also about getting rid of useless players or staff. Hextall has tolerated bad coaching and bad players when he has had chance to make changes.

Hextall is not going to fix this team with a one single move. He'll need to do several and it all revolves around bringing in the young talent. Actually this current season was better in this regard. It was last season that was a greater failure. Hägg and Morin should have made regular players in 16-17.

Great post.

So sick of Hexy getting a free pass for his tolerance of awful coaching and trash players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do people assume a prospect is ready just because he won a lot of votes in our poll?
Did you see how badly Lindblom played against Pittsburgh?
And I like Lindblom, but he was only 21 with a couple months NHL experience (and he wasn't ready in September).
Now I think Lindblom will have a big year in 2018-19 at the ripe old age of 22.

Sanheim was up and down, hopefully he'll learn from his rookie season, come to camp stronger and focus on improving his defense and become a solid two way defenseman at the ripe old age of 22.

Yes, I'd like to see Frost, but Ron is going to make that decision based on whether the kid can handle physically 90-100 NHL games (since why promote him if he can't help in the playoffs), not to placate fans, because you don't destroy a great prospect to win now.

Morin got injured, as Hextall said, he expected Morin to come up at some point, they wanted him to learn to keep his head up and work on his stick handling, if he stayed healthy, good chance he's up and wins a job. He'll be up next year at 23 years old.

NAK had a mediocre 1st season in the AHL, so he returned, improved and will be up at again, the ripe old age of 22.

Myers wasn't ready, and he may be not be in October due to time missed to injuries his past two seasons - so if he starts in Allentown it's not the end of the world. When the light goes on and he gets promoted, again, he'll be a geriatric 22 years old.

I'd point out that most of the rookies making a splash in the NHL, outside of 1st rd picks, tend to be 22-23 years old.

Reactions: AnimalFear

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Vigneault
Sutter
Ruff
Tippett
Gulutzan
Peters
Eakins

Are the available NA guys with HC experience. Lots of promising AHL coachs out there. Several Euro as well.

Dallas and Calgary only teams with vacancies so far.

Ya the list of vet coaches available will be big. If he wants one, moving on Hak can't be put off. Fire him this week and start the process so he can then concentrate on the draft and UFA.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Great post.

So sick of Hexy getting a free pass for his tolerance of awful coaching and trash players.

Free pass? What are you smoking?

This is being posted in a thread 13 pages long called "Fire Hextall"

Hexy isn't getting a free pass -- he's getting a pass because he's revamped our whole organization's depth and put us in serious position to contend in a year or so.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I do not agree it's been a lack of courage -- I think he's letting Hakstol coach his way out of town. What I mean by that is: Hak needs a legitimate chance to see if his system works or not. 1 or 2 years probably isn't a fair time frame considering he had an underwhelming roster (specifically in net and on defense). Having an itchy trigger finger is usually something AWFUL organizations have when it comes to GMs and Coaches being fired.

Hextall has tolerated bad players because he isn't an idiot and isn't going to cut them or trade them since that means either 1) Cap penalties or 2) Losing assets/trade value. Both are very stupid things to do when your team isn't ready to compete, which we aren't and haven't been (and cutting those vets/bad players wouldn't have made us a competitor).

Nope -- he won't fix it in on move. Never said he would. It's a process. Trust it. Bringing in younger players will make the team better, yes...but that takes time. If it were up to the armchair GMs on this board, our team would only be G, Voracek (maybe), Couturier and everyone in our system under the age of 22.

Thank God people on this forum aren't GMs of my teams.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
His defenders have been preaching his patience and being "ready to begin contending next year" for the last 3 years. And when the same shit happens for the 5th year in a row, it likely will still be the same schtick. As long as hextall keeps obtaining draft picks, he ll always get a free pass around here by some. 2022-2023 season should be awesome and if not, I'm sure we'd only need another year or so before contending... Patience!!

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
His defenders have been preaching his patience and being "ready to begin contending next year" for the last 3 years. And when the same **** happens for the 5th year in a row, it likely will still be the same schtick. As long as hextall keeps obtaining draft picks, he ll always get a free pass around here by some. 2022-2023 season should be awesome and if not, I'm sure we'd only need another year or so before contending... Patience!!

my patience has run out, there's nothing to build by keeping this core, it hasnt done anything, it's time for the core to go, if not, one and done out of the playoffs just like 2011 sixers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the whole pushed so hard to get him thing should be defunct. He's been the head coach for essentially 3 full seasons, and only barely got into the playoffs twice, while failing to get past game 6 in both first rounds (and the other year not making it at all). While the team has had its winning streaks with Hak, they've had as many losing streaks. The wild inconsistency from game to game and the with the choice of quality of players should ring alarm bells for Hexy on Hak. I don't think Hak is in the position he thought it was once in, especially after 3 failed seasons, especially when better coaches have gotten fired while having better play.

I truly hope that Hexy drops the rose colored glasses and sees that he can get someone better for this team, and if at least, someone new to the fold to breathe life into the team.

So that means Peters is an awful HC, 4 years in Carolina, zero playoff appearances, never won more than 37 games.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
His defenders have been preaching his patience and being "ready to begin contending next year" for the last 3 years. And when the same **** happens for the 5th year in a row, it likely will still be the same schtick. As long as hextall keeps obtaining draft picks, he ll always get a free pass around here by some. 2022-2023 season should be awesome and if not, I'm sure we'd only need another year or so before contending... Patience!!

I don't think any Hextall defender who knows it'd take time has said "next year" for the last 3 years...that's a contradictory statement in itself.

It's been 4 seasons and he's been very good. The team hasn't won anything because he's been trying to cleanup Holmgren's mess while making our organization strong again from a depth perspective. Holmgren's mess is almost cleaned up entirely (except McDonald's contract) & we're realistically in a position to succeed (thanks to Hextall).

Rebuilding an NHL franchise with so many anchor contracts like we had is like a recession - it takes years. If you want to build through the draft with your kids (which people won't shut up about around here despite us doing well in that area), it takes time...years even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad