Fire Hextall

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Me too.

But not just a different horrific coach who would be here for more than 2 years.

Hakstol's been here 3 years already. The next guy will get at least that long too.

Last thing I want is another rookie coach , unless you think someone is being fired soon.

Paul McLean could be had cheap , maybe with Knob

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Here's something to consider, ever wonder why so many teams have major friction between the GM and HC?
Let's say Hextall fires Hakstol and hires an experienced NHL tactician.

The first thing most coaches will do is to pressure Hextall into trading prospects and picks for proven veterans, or to sign expensive free agents.

Why? Because they know if the team struggles, even if the rebuild is eventually successful, they might not be around to see it - while if they can win for a few years, even if it sabotages the rebuild, they'll get another job elsewhere. So they want to bring in proven veterans (not scrubs like Lehtera) and they're costly on the trade and free agent market. But hey, those 1st rd picks won't contribute for 3-4 years, Sanheim might be a top defenseman in 2022, and so on - but I'd better get to the second round of the playoffs by 2020.

And if the team struggles and Hextall doesn't accede to his wishes, the new HC will find media allies and plant stories about Hextall is undermining the coach by not getting him the players he needs to win. And things heat up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Me too.

But not just a different horrific coach who would be here for more than 2 years.

Hakstol's been here 3 years already. The next guy will get at least that long too.

I think id rather have Gordon for 2 years to be honest. Plus you dont have to give him a long commitment as a guy coming from within the organization. He will already trust a lot of the kids having coached them in Lehigh.

Hakstol is really bad man. Really really bad.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So now you say you want the time to hire the right guy, but also said it was idiotic to fire him mid season. Hexy would have 4 extra months to try for the right guy.

Peters would have been an option as we would of had a vacancy.

Why can’t we have an interim while searching for the right guy , why does Haks have to be the only option.

You mean a experienced guy ?

Rather stick with Hak till another option appears from Candy Land

I said neither of the bold.

My comment about preferring to stick with Hak for 1 year than one of those guys for 3+ was merely to illustrate how bad of a choice picking one of them would be. The option isn't actually down to Hakstol vs that list. There's many more coaches out there who are where our next coach should come from.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I said neither of the bold.

My comment about preferring to stick with Hak for 1 year than one of those guys for 3+ was merely to illustrate how bad of a choice picking one of them would be. The option isn't actually down to Hakstol vs that list. There's many more coaches out there who are where our next coach should come from.

If Hak stays, he’s here next year too. The team will be too good and will win despite him imo.

Just won’t go deep, but could easily win a round.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think id rather have Gordon for 2 years to be honest. Plus you dont have to give him a long commitment as a guy coming from within the organization. He will already trust a lot of the kids having coached them in Lehigh.

If he's really bad, why didn't the Flyers tank like St Louis? Or fall apart like Montreal and the Rangers? Or manage to lose despite McJesus?
Really bad coaches lose their teams, and get fired when those teams fall into the death spiral.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
winning is expected but when the team that you support is boring af, hard to watch and rolls over like a dog also plays better away than at home with the advantage of last line change. something needs to change and they have already used different players and lines.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Gordon just benched Ratcliffe to play Twarynski and has a history of other horrific moves (usage of Hagg, Sanheim, Brennan, Laughton, various ECHLers, refusing to play CHL guys who ended their seasons, and a ton of other examples)... he's the same type of idiot.

I desperately want Hakstol gone, but changing one idiot for an equal idiot can do more harm than good.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Last thing I want is another rookie coach , unless you think someone is being fired soon.

Paul McLean could be had cheap , maybe with Knob

I don't believe Hakstol failed because he's a rookie coach.

I believe he failed because he's a f***ing idiot who fundamentally misunderstands what's important in hockey in the year 2018.

The next guy being a rookie isn't a problem to me, so long as he "gets it".

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Pascal Vincent apparently getting lots of interest. Any AHL folks have an opinion.

He runs the exact Jets system and seem to be good.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don't believe Hakstol failed because he's a rookie coach.

I believe he failed because he's a ****ing idiot who fundamentally misunderstands what's important in hockey in the year 2018.

The next guy being a rookie isn't a problem to me, so long as he "gets it".

I think if Haks would of had a vet assistant it would of helped a lot.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think if Haks would of had a vet assistant it would of helped a lot.
If he's stupid enough to think Filppula, Lehtera, Manning, Hagg, MacDonald, Elliott, and Gudas are all good players who performed well this year, while not appreciating the performances of TK, Patrick, Sanheim, and Lindblom, it doesn't matter who he has as an assistant. He's simply too stupid to be helped.

It's not like his problem was one of learning to manage pro players or adapt to certain parts of the NHL, it was a problem of evaluating players and realizing what's important to a hockey team.

Core flaws, not the day to day things a rookie coach might struggle with adapting to.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gordon just benched Ratcliffe to play Twarynski and has a history of other horrific moves (usage of Hagg, Sanheim, Brennan, Laughton, various ECHLers, refusing to play CHL guys who ended their seasons, and a ton of other examples)... he's the same type of idiot.

I desperately want Hakstol gone, but changing one idiot for an equal idiot can do more harm than good.

I wouldnt say hes the same type or equally idiotic. I liked what he had to say about Sanheim after after he was sent down. How he allows him to play through mistakes without him worrying about being benched unlike with Hakstol. If he were to bring that mentality to the NHL that is already progress.

I wont comment on Twar over Rat because I didnt see them play and dont know who fared better in their AHL appearances. I dont even know which line they were used. It would be disingenuos to comment.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldnt say hes the same type or equally idiotic. I liked what he had to say about Sanheim after after he was sent down. How he allows him to play through mistakes without him worrying about being benched unlike with Hakstol. If he were to bring that mentality to the NHL that is already progress.

I wont comment on Twar over Rat because I didnt see them play and dont know who fared better in their AHL appearances. I dont even know which line they were used. It would be disingenuos to comment.
Saying the right thing and doing the right thing are two very different things.

Hakstol praised Konecny this year and said he had been playing well all year and a bunch of other nice things... and all the while he played him in a way/quantity that contradicted his words.

And I'm not defending Hakstol here, I just think you're underestimating the stupidity of Gordon. They're like brothers. He does all the same stuff.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
winning is expected but when the team that you support is boring af, hard to watch and rolls over like a dog also plays better away than at home with the advantage of last line change. something needs to change and they have already used different players and lines.

But they haven't tried GOOD players.
Really, when was the last time the Flyers rolled out three solid lines and two good D-pairs?
And other than one year of Mason, a trustworthy goalie?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Uh, it's the AHL - it's a DEVELOPMENT league.
You're supposed to have players play through mistakes, then use them as teaching moments.

I'd point it it was Hextall who said the NHL wasn't a developmental league.
I.e. if we have to repeat things at this level, sit or go back to LHV.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hakstol had the players to do it, but he refused.

So yeah, them not rolling out three good lines and two good Dpairs is definitely a problem.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You assume that's Gordon's decision.

It may well have been Hextall, he wanted a look see at Ratcliffe in meaningless end of season games, but Twarynski will be with the Phantoms next year as a possible callup while Ratcliffe is targeted for a return to juniors - in that case Hextall would want Twarynski getting the playoff PT.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol had the players to do it, but he refused.

So yeah, them not rolling out three good lines and two good Dpairs is definitely a problem.

What players?

Laughton isn't a NHL caliber center, Filppula isn't a NHL center, so who is your 3rd and 4th center?
Weal is a fail as a 3rd line winger, Raffl is a 4th line checker at this point . . .
Lindblom couldn't handle 2nd line responsibilities in the playoffs and so on.

Same on defense, one 1st pairing and 4 3rd pair defensemen (no Sanheim would not play on the 2nd pair for a good team right now).

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Travis Konecny had 20 goals, 16 assists for 36 points over the last 41 games of the season. He did the vast majority of that playing on a line with Sean Couturier and Claude Giroux. Hakstol took him off of that top line right before and during the playoffs for Michael Raffl and played Konecny 15+ minutes ONE time in the 6 playoff games. That is Hakstol and his stupidity in a nutshell right there. By all accounts Hextall is bringing him back next year and if he does I am writing him off as the general manager of this team and the rest of you should as well. The roster is flawed and still needs work but rather than get the most out of his team Hakstol makes matters worse with one stupid decision after another as it relates to lineup decisions and player usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad