Fire Hextall

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Worst part of the Bryz contract was Homer was bidding against himself. I am not sure whom else, if anyone, had the same interest.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Worst part of the Bryz contract was Homer was bidding against himself. I am not sure whom else, if anyone, had the same interest.

Snider loved Bryz - I remember that being a big component of that deal at the time, like really wanted him here - it was reported on somewhere. If I'm Bryz, I am taking that money too. Can't hate him for accepting overpayment

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
All things aside, Bryz's numbers were really NOT that bad. Post-Pronger + run and gun style of play didn't help him here but he's nowhere near as bad on paper as people made him out to be at the time
.887 sv% and 3.46 GAA in the playoffs for us is bad

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Snider loved Bryz - I remember that being a big component of that deal at the time, like really wanted him here - it was reported on somewhere. If I'm Bryz, I am taking that money too. Can't hate him for accepting overpayment

Snider said what happened in the playoffs would never happen again with this franchise so he told Homer to sign Bryzgalov.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Snider said what happened in the playoffs would never happen again with this franchise so he told Homer to sign Bryzgalov.

I was a HUMUNGOUS BIG Bryz fan when he was the backup in Anaheim and had to play bc Giguere had family issues. I really liked his style of play - then he wasn't terrible on Phoenix but Phoenix wasn't a great landing spot for goalies in that era. I love that we could have picked him up off waivers for half his Anaheim salary then rather than the big contract we signed him to but we didn't. Either way - Bryz with Pronger or any good D in front of him was worlds different than Bryz with Matt Carle and co in front of him. Most goalies need some decent defensemen in front of them if their style of play is offensive-oriented (as ours was at the time).

Sad that his career got ruined here and I think under different circumstances, things could have gone better for him.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Carter-Richard trades were great and then Homer's lack of cap awareness had us all turn on him. Hextall's first two years got us all excited, but the loyalty and pro scouting might be his downfall.
Kimmo, coburn, hartsy, jagr, simmer, Jake, schenn, briere, leino, prongs, carle were all excellent additions by Homer.
Hexy traded away kimmo, coburn, hartsy and schenn. Simmer and Jake might just be the next ones to bite the dust.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I remember when it was fashionable to criticize Hextall for the Voracek contract. Now he's being criticized for wanting to trade him (not that there's anything to back that up) and for trading Kimmo and Coburn who only turned into a 21 year old top 6 winger named Travis Konecny, Radko Gudas, Wade Allison and Matej Tomek.

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I remember when it was fashionable to criticize Hextall for the Voracek contract. Now he's being criticized for wanting to trade him (not that there's anything to back that up) and for trading Kimmo and Coburn who only turned into a 21 year old top 6 winger named Travis Konecny.

I didn't see anyone criticizing him for those moves. Those were universally adored moves.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Anyone still want to defend this moron after his PC the other day both in terms of what he said and his I'm smarter than all of the media and fans attitude? Hextall is running this organization into the ground.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is smarter than the fans, most of whom seem to have a knee jerk reaction based on "the good old days" when Homer could buy three free agents in a single season.
Fan outrage might make sense if we were Carolina, which never makes the playoffs despite an eternal rebuild, or say Edmonton.

Yes, you've been forced to watch scrubs for four years, because Hextall hoarded his draft picks.
Would you prefer he made win now moves that got them to the second round once or twice but mortgaged the future?
Hextall's four drafts have been above average to great, and we're finally seeing this critical mass of talent hit LHV and Philly.
From now on, this team will get stronger, deeper and younger.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The cap became binding after the 2012-13 season, up to then it grew fast enough not to impose a serious constraint on wealthy teams, the contraction, along with amnesty, forced teams to be stricter about money. Just in time to slam all the money Holmgren had given out the previous few years.

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Hextall is running this organization into the ground.
I wouldn't call overseeing the overhaul of the BAR NONE worst farm team in the league before he got here, to a top 5 farm team, while already graduating 4 of high pieces drafted to the NHL running the organization in the ground.

He CERTAINLY isn't maxxing out our roughly 10% chance (just a guess) of winning the Stanley cup in 2017 or 2018 to maaaaaybe 15% by signing some overpriced C level UFAs, or trading the above mentioned assets for pending UFAs...this is true...hes not doing that.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The cap became binding after the 2012-13 season, up to then it grew fast enough not to impose a serious constraint on wealthy teams, the contraction, along with amnesty, forced teams to be stricter about money. Just in time to slam all the money Holmgren had given out the previous few years.

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia
Not to mention...the effect the new cba/cap had on talent in free agency. Previously, top players playing for "cash poorer" teams could go to UFA, sign absurd front loaded 100 million dollar deals over 15 years. Accelerated cash to the player, lowered the cap to the signing team...yay free agency.

Now...the TOP UFAs have no reason to hit UFA. Their existing club can actually make them the best offer (an additional year), the money cannot be spread like before, so you get none earlier. There is really LITTLE monetary incentive for a player not to sign with their existing club.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
He is smarter than the fans, most of whom seem to have a knee jerk reaction based on "the good old days" when Homer could buy three free agents in a single season.
Fan outrage might make sense if we were Carolina, which never makes the playoffs despite an eternal rebuild, or say Edmonton.

Yes, you've been forced to watch scrubs for four years, because Hextall hoarded his draft picks.
Would you prefer he made win now moves that got them to the second round once or twice but mortgaged the future?
Hextall's four drafts have been above average to great, and we're finally seeing this critical mass of talent hit LHV and Philly.
From now on, this team will get stronger, deeper and younger.
I think next year it wont crit mass in the NHL, but after that, it begins.

Carolina has yes tried for a bit, but failed... but even they have more excitement coming than say MTL, who is just adrift on a sea of disaster.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers are one of the few teams who can afford to take on a big salary like Tavares or Karlsson. Hextall identified C/D as needs for the team. If he doesn't get one of those guys this offseason is a disaster. Players like Tavares/Karlsson don't become available every year; this time is what you made all those cap-savings moves for.

If he doesn't do something like that, we'll know he's just shrinking the payroll to take on the Filppulas and Lehteras of the world and collect draft picks.

Reactions: tucson83

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
I wouldn't call overseeing the overhaul of the BAR NONE worst farm team in the league before he got here, to a top 5 farm team, while already graduating 4 of high pieces drafted to the NHL running the organization in the ground.

My problem with Hextall is that he has been building the farm team but not the NHL team. Yes, that is an exaggeration, but the general direction has so far been this. The results of the rebuild have not implemented on the NHL team as extensively as they could have been. Morin and Hägg should have been made a regulars in 16-17, NAK should have been given a try in 17-18, not to mention Sanheim situation and so on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"You can't hurry love"

Most prospects, other than 1st rd picks, become starters at 22-23, three LA King D-men followed that pattern.
NAK wasn't very good in the AHL in 2016-17, he'd been a disaster in the NHL.
Hagg wasn't ready in 2016-17, Morin had some flaws they thought would be exposed in the NHL.
You don't accelerate a player's development by throwing them in the deep water and hope they don't drown.

Fans get frustrated, but Hextall wants to hit on as many of his draft picks as he can, and that means being somewhat (on average we're talking maybe an extra half year in the AHL or so) conservative in player development.
Where this pays off is not only a deep NHL roster in a couple years, but a lot of prospects that show enough in the AHL to be viable trade bait, for future picks or as part of packages for targeted players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad