Finnish club to join KHL, future of ET

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
I was wondering... Which Russian teams would join European Trophy? They say it will be 4 teams.

I see these teams as likely to join:

Dynamo Moscow
CSKA Moscow
SKA Saint Petersburg
Ak Bars Kazan

I would really want to see teams from outside Moscow timezone to join, teams like Salavat Yulaev, Metallurg Magnitogorsk or Traktor Chelyabinsk. Is there a slightest chance they will be a part of ET?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I was wondering... Which Russian teams would join European Trophy? They say it will be 4 teams.

I see these teams as likely to join:

Dynamo Moscow
CSKA Moscow
SKA Saint Petersburg
Ak Bars Kazan

I would really want to see teams from outside Moscow timezone to join, teams like Salavat Yulaev, Metallurg Magnitogorsk or Traktor Chelyabinsk. Is there a slightest chance they will be a part of ET?

Are you referring to the European Trophy or the Champions League? Because the latter is the one that KHL is known to participate, though the number is now supposed to be 8 teams, not 4, with half of them coming outside of Russia.

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Are you referring to the European Trophy or the Champions League? Because the latter is the one that KHL is known to participate, though the number is now supposed to be 8 teams, not 4, with half of them coming outside of Russia.

I mean what I wrote in my post.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Not sure how the SHL clubs feel, if there's a lot of money to be had in CL they'd be interested. But as usual the swedish fans will not care at all.

With the right amount of media attention and the right schedual it will garner support from swedish fans. Take a look at what svff did with Svenska cupen. No one cared about it just last year and now its a huge success.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
With the right amount of media attention and the right schedual it will garner support from swedish fans. Take a look at what svff did with Svenska cupen. No one cared about it just last year and now its a huge success.

Svenska cupen is a swedish tourny though, as in there is actually something to try to sell.

Also being football it has a little advantage.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Svenska cupen is a swedish tourny though, as in there is actually something to try to sell.

There's nothing to sell? Is that what you are implying? A Champions League of hockey, traveling to, say, Berlin or Prague to watch a swedish team, isn't something swedish hockey fans would like to be a part of?

If they're serious about a Champions League of Hockey they'll play the group stage games during the hockey season and paus the national leagues for a week at a time, or so. Preferably plaing all games at the same date. That way there's little confusion when the games will be played and will generate some hype. How much money is involved is a big factor, of course, but being patient is also important.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
There's nothing to sell? Is that what you are implying? A Champions League of hockey, traveling to, say, Berlin or Prague to watch a swedish team, isn't something swedish hockey fans would like to be a part of?

If they're serious about a Champions League of Hockey they'll play the group stage games during the hockey season and paus the national leagues for a week at a time, or so. Preferably plaing all games at the same date. That way there's little confusion when the games will be played and will generate some hype. How much money is involved is a big factor, of course, but being patient is also important.

We have seen how much "a part of" fans wanna be regarding euro tournys in the past, i dont remember the exact numbers, but they were not pretty. What little interest and curiosity there is will be used to wonder how many better swedish teams had to give up their spots for the sake of the "euro union"

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
We have seen how much "a part of" fans wanna be regarding euro tournys in the past, i dont remember the exact numbers, but they were not pretty. What little interest and curiosity there is will be used to wonder how many better swedish teams had to give up their spots for the sake of the "euro union"

Like I said, Svenska Cupen was in a similar shape as these previous attempts at a european tourney of club hockey. If they made a serious attempt at it, it would most likely be a success.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This week's issue of Urheilusanomat and the comment by Teräväinen and Lämsä pretty much confirm my fears about Jokerit juniors not featuring much in KHL. Teräväinen had talked to the youngest players in the squad and most of them said they don't expect to be a part of the roster in KHL. Lämsä also said that when you look at the rosters of other teams, it obvious you won't be able to ice as many juniors as currently. He was also not certain he'd be around in KHL either.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Like I said, Svenska Cupen was in a similar shape as these previous attempts at a european tourney of club hockey. If they made a serious attempt at it, it would most likely be a success.

Yes well like i said, Svenska cupen. Svenska cupen in football.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

That will not work unless the champions league of hockey became more prestigeful than the SHL, like it is with football and any league. So no, swedish fans will not care about it until that is the case, and neither will the team give it their all if the CL would happen during league play. No player would seriously risk getting injured for such a tournament.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
That will not work unless the champions league of hockey became more prestigeful than the SHL, like it is with football and any league. So no, swedish fans will not care about it until that is the case, and neither will the team give it their all if the CL would happen during league play. No player would seriously risk getting injured for such a tournament.

Well, it goes without saying that the SHL will have a lot of say in the creation of CLH and it's format. If I'm not mistaken, Nordic Trophy was the initiative of swedish clubs together with finnish clubs. It's successor is still very much the brainchild of these clubs. This shows that there is obviously a lot of interest from the clubs atleast in a CLH. So, like I said, IF the are truly serious about this they'll schedule the games where they could potentialy garner most interest from fans. It's this signal from the clubs that they atleast take the tourny seriously that is important to communicate to the fans. If they do this then the fans will follow suit.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I have to repeat myself.

Europe does not have power/will/money to create SUCCESSFUL Champions League of Hockey.

Europe can create such Champions League of Hockey with KHL´s help (btw, this has been happening now). KHL´s interest is to be no.1 league in Europe, KHL does not need rival league (CL). So, when/if KHL thought CL was becoming a threat for KHL, CL would be fold. Or scenario no.2, KHL wants to control CL (especially model and revenue from sponsorship/tv-deals). The same, when/if KHL thought that KHL´s goal was not fullfilled, CL would be fold. Do you want an evidence? Look at last Champions Hockey League. Or history of top 4-5 SHL clubs to join KHL back in 2009 (??). Why this not happen? Swedes wanted to control/govern KHL or wanted money from tv-deals and KHL did not agree with that? I dont know, I would like to ask fans from Sweden... (ok, this is finnish thread but many Swedes here).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, it goes without saying that the SHL will have a lot of say in the creation of CLH and it's format. If I'm not mistaken, Nordic Trophy was the initiative of swedish clubs together with finnish clubs. It's successor is still very much the brainchild of these clubs. This shows that there is obviously a lot of interest from the clubs atleast in a CLH. So, like I said, IF the are truly serious about this they'll schedule the games where they could potentialy garner most interest from fans. It's this signal from the clubs that they atleast take the tourny seriously that is important to communicate to the fans. If they do this then the fans will follow suit.

Red Bull is heavily backing the European Trophy so that helps.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Red Bull is Trojan Horse. I would not be suprised if Red Bulls announce joining KHL sooner or later. Of course, Red Bull Salute can stay.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Instead of getting 1,5 milliion euros from SM-Liiga (considered their stock value in it) Jokerit could end up having to pay 2,5-3 million euros TO SM-Liiga for breach of contract(in today's Iltalehti).

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Red Bull is Trojan Horse. I would not be suprised if Red Bulls announce joining KHL sooner or later. Of course, Red Bull Salute can stay.

Well I am sure everyone involved with the Red Bull Salute are breathing a sigh of relief that you have given them permission to stick around.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I have to repeat myself.

Europe does not have power/will/money to create SUCCESSFUL Champions League of Hockey.

Europe can create such Champions League of Hockey with KHL´s help (btw, this has been happening now). KHL´s interest is to be no.1 league in Europe, KHL does not need rival league (CL). So, when/if KHL thought CL was becoming a threat for KHL, CL would be fold. Or scenario no.2, KHL wants to control CL (especially model and revenue from sponsorship/tv-deals). The same, when/if KHL thought that KHL´s goal was not fullfilled, CL would be fold. Do you want an evidence? Look at last Champions Hockey League. Or history of top 4-5 SHL clubs to join KHL back in 2009 (??). Why this not happen? Swedes wanted to control/govern KHL or wanted money from tv-deals and KHL did not agree with that? I dont know, I would like to ask fans from Sweden... (ok, this is finnish thread but many Swedes here).
That's utter nonesense. KHL has no sway on a CLH torney they're not involved in. From what I can gather, non russian KHL teams that have joined the league resently have been negotiating in a clause that they are allowed to participate in CLH. CLH is a win-win for all euro leagues. KHL participation means a more prestigious tourney and more money involved. If KHL teams are successfull in the tourny, which is very likely, good PR for KHL and more money for KHL teams. Same goes for the rest of the teams involved.
Growing the sport of Hockey is in everyones best interest.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That's utter nonesense. KHL has no sway on a CLH torney they're not involved in. From what I can gather, non russian KHL teams that have joined the league resently have been negotiating in a clause that they are allowed to participate in CLH. CLH is a win-win for all euro leagues. KHL participation means a more prestigious tourney and more money involved. If KHL teams are successfull in the tourny, which is very likely, good PR for KHL and more money for KHL teams. Same goes for the rest of the teams involved.
Growing the sport of Hockey is in everyones best interest.

What do you mean by bold part? As I know KHL is involved in proces of creating new euro competition (Barcelona Group). "non russian KHL teams" - Slovan Bratislava? Believe me, if KHL did not want Slovan to play ET, league would not allow it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Eh will this work out? Seems like he'll have to find quite a lot of sponsors?

I wrote about it last week already, but one Finnish paper asked "insiders" on how much sponsorship money Harkimo could in theory get. The answer was "~3 million tops, not nearly the 10 million he's hoping for". Last season Jokerit had 4 million in sponsorship income. The article also interviewed one big, long time sponsor Fonecta and their rep said they have two years left in the deal, but since they only offer services in Finland where their only market is, they'll have to re-evaluate that deal when it runs out. He said sponsors value, tv-, arena and jersey visibility. Since KHL is on Viasat Finland, which does not have an outlet to air free games occasionally unlike SM-Liiga rights holder Nelonen, the tv-visibility will obviously matter.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rumors pointing to Jukka Tiilikainen being the new UTJ (sporting director)...

1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Quite the drop off from Jarmo Kekäläinen or even Jukka Holtari (rumored, or rather fantasized at one point).

Finnsane

Oct 21, 2012

Zilliacus was claiming that Harkimo stole his idea to sell the arena and move to KHL and that he had it planned three years ago. Harkimo's response was that Zilliacus owned merely 1% of the arena and it was none of his business anyway and also said that he has been contacted for the KHL move before and after at least 10 times.

Zabludowicz was just unhappy that Harkimo bought his share of the arena before selling to Russians without telling him about his plans and says that it's against "proper businessman code".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad