Finnish club to join KHL, future of ET

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is there any chance that Jokerit's junior team would play in the MHL?
None. Harkimo already stated that the junior teams will stay in leagues based in Finland. Which is sensible, since it would not be very convenient (or cost-friendly) to move them around Europe.

Some questions have been presented about what will happen to those players who are too good for the Finnish junior leagues but not good enough for the KHL. No clear answer to that one yet.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Is there any chance that Jokerit's junior team would play in the MHL?
Not immidiatelly, but in future for sure. That is how it works, non-russian KHL clubs does not have to join MHL, but it is good for them if they join. On the other hand, finnish jr league seems to be good enough, so no reason for leaving. Slovan has plan to join MHL within a few yrs, Lev does not have such plan. I can see Jokerit without MHL for next yrs, but who knows after 5+yrs?

It will be much more interesting for me to follow it Jokerit offers MHL contracts its juniors (at least very best), who will play finnish jr league. You know, KHL club can sign 30 players for MHL/KHL contract and use them in KHL matches (rotation). This is important from NHL´s point of view. NHLPTA says that NHL club has right to sign any player from finnish leagues. KHL has MoU with NHL, including MHL contracts, which does not allow NHL to sign players (KHLers, MHLers). That could be problem for NHL :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
None. Harkimo already stated that the junior teams will stay in leagues based in Finland. Which is sensible, since it would not be very convenient (or cost-friendly) to move them around Europe.

Some questions have been presented about what will happen to those players who are too good for the Finnish junior leagues but not good enough for the KHL. No clear answer to that one yet.

Not to mention cause problem's with their school and army duties, we're talking about kids that aren't on Koivu level in celebrity status, they'll have to spend much more time in the woods.

It's more likely that the most talented ones switch to other Helsinki area teams (IFK/Blues) and A- or B-junior age). Considering the tragic history in coaching selections(junior coaching chief picks his buddies over more qualified ones) at Jokerit juniors even during Kekäläinen's tenure, it would not surprise me to see them make the selection even earlier.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
What I have heard from my sources is that Jokerit has now three options: 1) pay substantial indirect penalty fee (1-3 M€) by returning their SM-liiga share for lower price/free and having no tv money in 2013-14 2) To not play at all during season 2013-14 3) To go to court with SM-liiga. None of the options is very tempting to Jokerit. There is also possible law suit hanging in the air from former Jokerit minority shareholders. This lawsuit will realize at least in the case 3.

Then, what is sure is that Jokerit will be in KHL season 2014-15 no matter what. The worst scenario is that they have to start from scratch in juridic sense, but that will for most part just transferring contracts and rights from old organization. There is of course some risk of some sponsors jumping the ship, but there is promise from Moscow that sufficient amount of money will be poured to new Jokerit if that scenario realizes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What I have heard from my sources is that Jokerit has now three options: 1) pay substantial indirect penalty fee (1-3 M€) by returning their SM-liiga share for lower price/free and having no tv money in 2013-14 2) To not play at all during season 2013-14 3) To go to court with SM-liiga. None of the options is very tempting to Jokerit. There is also possible law suit hanging in the air from former Jokerit minority shareholders. This lawsuit will realize at least in the case 3.

Then, what is sure is that Jokerit will be in KHL season 2014-15 no matter what. The worst scenario is that they have to start from scratch in juridic sense, but that will for most part just transferring contracts and rights from old organization. There is of course some risk of some sponsors jumping the ship, but there is promise from Moscow that sufficient amount of money will be poured to new Jokerit if that scenario realizes.

Source? Because Rotenberg has stated more than once that they (as in Russians) won't sponsor the team, Harkimo will have to get the money himself. And why Moscow? Timtshenko and Rotenberg operate in St. Petersburgh.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I took "Moscow" as a figure of speech, referring to whoever holds the purse strings beyond the eastern border.

ANd yeah, I've no doubt whatsoever that some additional oligarch money will be poured into the club if it can't stand on its own two feet at first. Jokerit will be, after all, the KHL's first truly western expansion and thus a lot more than just Harkimo's personal pride will cling onto its success. If Jokerit does good in the KHL, it will no doubt pave the way for further expansion towards the west. If they don't, it's doubtful that organizations in Sweden, Germany, Switzerland and other places will take interest.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I took "Moscow" as a figure of speech, referring to whoever holds the purse strings beyond the eastern border.

ANd yeah, I've no doubt whatsoever that some additional oligarch money will be poured into the club if it can't stand on its own two feet at first. Jokerit will be, after all, the KHL's first truly western expansion and thus a lot more than just Harkimo's personal pride will cling onto its success. If Jokerit does good in the KHL, it will no doubt pave the way for further expansion towards the west. If they don't, it's doubtful that organizations in Sweden, Germany, Switzerland and other places will take interest.

But the thing is, as Timtshenko said, he/they can't become majority owners with Jokerit as that would raise conflict of interest questions. I recall seeing here that other KHL clubs were having some issues when the news was made public. I don't think they would be very happy to see one owner financing two teams.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is naive to think that Harkimo will be only one person who will find/search sponsors for Jokerit. It will be Rotenberg/Timchenko or so as well. Btw, sponsors for Jokerit has been searching a few months.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But the thing is, as Timtshenko said, he/they can't become majority owners with Jokerit as that would raise conflict of interest questions. I recall seeing here that other KHL clubs were having some issues when the news was made public. I don't think they would be very happy to see one owner financing two teams.
It's one thing what things look like on paper. It's another how things are in reality, especially if some sports bags stuffed with dead presidents change owner in the arena parking lot.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Source? Because Rotenberg has stated more than once that they (as in Russians) won't sponsor the team, Harkimo will have to get the money himself. And why Moscow? Timtshenko and Rotenberg operate in St. Petersburgh.

Moscow = KHL bigshots. I have got this information as second (and third) hand information from Helsinki business circles, non-hockey guys who know Harkimo. The premise is that backers of KHL won't let Jokerit crash in case of SM-liiga or Harkimo pulling the plug. It's not only issue about Jokerit, it is the credibility of whole KHL in eyes of western European hockey market.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Current rumor (by Hiitelä) is that Jokerit will have to pay 400K euro to each team (5,2 million combined)as compensation for violating the shareholders agreement/rules/regulations etc.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Based on reports from the SM-Liiga meeting, Jokerit willing to pay about 5 million €, other clubs want 8 milliion. Also the role of Kummola in question, talk of wanting Harkimo to "rat out" Kummola. Latest word was that Harkimo exited the meeting "livid".

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Based on reports from the SM-Liiga meeting, Jokerit willing to pay about 5 million €, other clubs want 8 milliion. Also the role of Kummola in question, talk of wanting Harkimo to "rat out" Kummola. Latest word was that Harkimo exited the meeting "livid".
Nothing but twitter "reports" from nobodies...and the exit was normal...he wasn't needed in the meeting anymore.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
The actual compensation required from Jokerit was substantially bigger than what I heard beforehand. And according to some reports, it was actually the share + TV rights + 5,2M€. Peanuts to Moscow, but impossible to Harkimo alone. To quote The Legend: What do you think next happen now?". Myself, I have no freakin idea. Maybe Jokerit will opt to penalty fee, maybe they fold and start from scratch. One way or another, public relations disaster for all involved parties.

Another interesting side aspect is "The Hunt For Fat Godfather", which seems to be really intense and vile. I knew that there was bad blood between Kummola and 13 other teams, but not to this extend. This might have major consenquences also in Finnish Hockey Federation.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Will there be any statement of SM-Liiga/Jokerit today?

It seems that SM-Liiga clubs want to solve "2 problems" at the same time - Jokerit leaving and Kummola

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The actual compensation required from Jokerit was substantially bigger than what I heard beforehand. And according to some reports, it was actually the share + TV rights + 5,2M€. Peanuts to Moscow, but impossible to Harkimo alone. To quote The Legend: What do you think next happen now?". Myself, I have no freakin idea. Maybe Jokerit will opt to penalty fee, maybe they fold and start from scratch. One way or another, public relations disaster for all involved parties.

Another interesting side aspect is "The Hunt For Fat Godfather", which seems to be really intense and vile. I knew that there was bad blood between Kummola and 13 other teams, but not to this extend. This might have major consenquences also in Finnish Hockey Federation.

According to some rumors, it would be cheaper for Jokerit to not play in SM-Liiga than to pay those fines.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

I HOPE it has consequences in Liitto, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I don't like Hjallis one bit, but Kummola's the real cancer in Finnish hockey. If Hjallis wants to get off a bit easier regarding the KHL mess, he should hand out any goods he has on Kale.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hiitelä is nobody, Rantanen has name but he ain't no "report king".

And when you guys keep on telling reports, the source would be nice to tell in that post in the first place.

Hiitelä being the former editor at Jatkoaika.com, has sources that place offered. Plus his time in NA brought him sources there as well as a membership in PHWA. Though he's not present at the meeting, but Rantanen seems to be.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Can anybody explain why clubs are angry for Kummola? Not in Jokerit=KHL case, but in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->