Finnish club to join KHL, future of ET

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Rotenberg said for SovSport something about Jokerit-HIFK games, winter classic if/when Jokerit joins KHL.

He said that especially HIFK was against Jokerit joining KHL because Jokerit will lose rival club, only games which are sold out. Dont know, but he said that only derbies are sold out in Finland.

"Therefore SM-Liiga wanted 5 milions euro?
Yes, but we immediately rejected it. We found solution which was acceptable for everyone. We will organise friendly games against HIFK, winter classic. That is dignified replacement of finnish derby games," Rotenberg said.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/629394

PS
Rotenberg said Jokerit will join for 200%, not only 100%

Any news from finnish sources?

Hifk sold out many other opponent's too and were all the time almost full accoring to mtv3 few days ago, so that was rubbish. But the winter classic is biggest lose if it happens

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Hifk sold out many other opponent's too and were all the time almost full accoring to mtv3 few days ago, so that was rubbish. But the winter classic is biggest lose if it happens

Thx, he does not have to have correct infos about attendance but the most important thing is that they will try to organise IFK-Jokerit games when Jokerit is in KHL. Is does not have to be winter classic. Maybe they made such deal?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
You seriously think people outside of Finland gives a crap about Jokerits move to KHL. 99% of us (I say 99% because apparantly Darth Yoda is now officially the biggest KHL-Jokerit fan there is) couldn't care less about it. I find this whole process interesting though, as the road seems to be bumpy.

Yes we do, its quite interesting. Interesting enough for TSN to post on their news headlines (they never post European club news on the website). The KHL has made many big moves in recent years which is starting to create curiosity and interest from many hockey fans outside of Russia, at least here in Canada.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Thx, he does not have to have correct infos about attendance but the most important thing is that they will try to organise IFK-Jokerit games when Jokerit is in KHL. Is does not have to be winter classic. Maybe they made such deal?

Seems like a tactical move. They will for it for one year and then never again. Think of it, Jokerit will be like an SML all star team playing SML team. Would HIFK fans be interested in a "blow out classic" each year?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Seems like a tactical move. They will for it for one year and then never again. Think of it, Jokerit will be like an SML all star team playing SML team. Would HIFK fans be interested in a "blow out classic" each year?

Skill difference will not be big enough for blow out classic.

I could see Jokerit playing some Russian team in "winter classic" too later. It would be like national team game.

Here's how sm-liiga winter-classic looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxhBGAXB5No

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Actually I just read Rothenberg say's that Winter Classic will stay in the schedule.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekk...okerit-tulee-khlaan-200-prosenttisen-varmasti

Personally I hope for some kind of "Kings of Helsinki" series.
thx, I think it is translation of SovSport, so nothing new. At the end of a day, Jokerit in KHL can help SM-Liiga ... NHL has winter classic, everyone is watching it, it is tradition. SM-Liiga can have such game/s as well, does not have to be winter classic of course. TV rating will be high, big revenues which can be shared with SM-Liiga. Who knows?

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Skill difference will not be big enough for blow out classic.

I could see Jokerit playing some Russian team in "winter classic" too later. It would be like national team game.

Here's how sm-liiga winter-classic looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxhBGAXB5No

Well Jokerit and HIFK had an agreement of two Winter Classics, with Jokerit hosting next season and HIFK hosting the next one. However, any future outdoor games will depend on Olympic Stadium giving permission to host the event. Finland's future Euro qualifying schedule might interfere with those.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

WTF!? This is the first I've heard of it.

I am very very angry about this. I just lost all respect I had for Jokerit.

Luckily I am more of a HIFK fan, but still.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Pro naše kluby je těžké financovat svojí účast, protože ani diváci, ani partneři nejeví o podporu příliš velký zájem a náklad 50 - 60 tisíc Euro je pro nás hodně citelný. Není to jen subjektivní pohled, při každoročním vyhodnocení tomu odpovídají i hodnoty sledovanosti na webech, on line přenosech, prodejích merchandisingu, prodaných balíčcích VIP Hospitality atd.
http://market-slavia.blog.cz/1308/s-petrem-brizou-o-european-trophy#komentar108854882

It is complicated for czech clubs to finance ET, because our sponsors dont care about ET and sum of 50-60 000 euro is a lot for czech clubs. That is not only subjective opinion, look at annual analysis of websites, online translations of games, selling merchensiding, VIPs. All low.

Petr Briza said, he is "ambassador" of czech clubs in ET if I know. He also said that ET is popular only in Sweden, Finland..german fans would watch every international league (yes, he spent a lot of time in Germany). He said that Switzerland is neutral or sceptic towards ET.

Conclusions

- euro clubs, at least czech, dont have money, even 60 000 euro is a lot for them, sponsors dont care

- ET has support only in SWE/FIN (but posters say that not so much in SWE), Europe does not care at all (only Germany, but they will have KHL, at least big clubs)

- media/sponsor/fans interest in NOT in Czech rep

- only reasonable solution is to divide KHL and ET... KHL as UEFA Champions League (tier 1) and ET as UEFA Europa League (tier 2). Of course, KHL is closed league, their avg clubs can participate in ET, why not?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Roman Rotenberg no longer speaking about tripling the budget, just said on YLE's Urheiluruutu that "15 million euro budget should be okay". Note that he was talking about doubling the overall budget from the current 8 million.

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
New insights about Jokerit?
Season is well underway and how are the people and other clubs accepting that Jokerit will be in the KHL next season? Pessimism still prevails? Does Helsinki even care? Jokerit's most loyal fans will boycott the club in KHL?
Thanks.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
New insights about Jokerit?
Season is well underway and how are the people and other clubs accepting that Jokerit will be in the KHL next season? Pessimism still prevails? Does Helsinki even care? Jokerit's most loyal fans will boycott the club in KHL?
Thanks.

One lead figure from the fan section Eteläpääty posted at Jatkoaika.com boards that the KHL decision and the acquisition of Jere Karalahti turned off a lot of fans (those that don't post at internet message boards) and he knew that about 200 people had returned their season tickets, a lot from the fan section which has shown during home games. A lot the fans want to give one last go this season but will cut down on going to games in KHL (or stop completely). Biggest pessimism goes towards the front office as there's not a lot faith in Jari Kurri/Janne Vuorinen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad