Finnish club to join KHL, future of ET

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Hiitelä being the former editor at Jatkoaika.com, has sources that place offered. Plus his time in NA brought him sources there as well as a membership in PHWA. Though he's not present at the meeting, but Rantanen seems to be.
Might be his "mole" then.

Hiitelä is still nobody for me. He is effin Jokerit hater.

I'm so tired of SM-liiga and Finnish journalists. Maybe still 1 year of this ****show? or KHL can you take Jokerit there already now?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Might be his "mole" then.

Hiitelä is still nobody for me. He is effin Jokerit hater.

I'm so tired of SM-liiga and Finnish journalists. Maybe still 1 year of this ****show? or KHL can you take Jokerit there already now?

Hiitelä working for Urheilusanomat explains it. ;) If you want a Jokerit fan to write something from that organization, read something from Pasi Kostiainen. Though he sticks to music writing.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
I hope they kick them out.

Of course, that's not going to happen since the meeting is taking so long. They're now just trying to squeeze out every penny out of Jokerit, and then let them play next season

Whole situation makes me want to puke

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Can anybody explain why clubs are angry for Kummola? Not in Jokerit=KHL case, but in general.

Couple years back Blues were looking to maybe join the KHL, couple of other clubs too, and talks were heating up about the European league.

Kummola basically said he'd veto any attempt of a Finnish club joining KHL, now, when it's his buddy Hjallis with Jokerit he's the biggest supporter of the move.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Couple years back Blues were looking to maybe join the KHL, couple of other clubs too, and talks were heating up about the European league.

Kummola basically said he'd veto any attempt of a Finnish club joining KHL, now, when it's his buddy Hjallis with Jokerit he's the biggest supporter of the move.

thx, interesting

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Why do the SM-liiga teams hate Kummola? I'd say it's because no organization wants to be bossed around by some guy who has technically no power over some of the things he claims to control. He has no respect for the teams, so why should they respect him? Him favoring Jokerit in the KHL issue is just one thing. With that said, there's no way I believe Kale's not getting any kind of money out of this.

Whole situation makes me want to puke

Me too. I hope the Russians accommodate both Hjallis as well as his BFF Kale. I don't want to see either one of them again. Wasn't there also some rumor of Kurri becoming the GM for KHL Jokerit? They can take both him and Juti for all I care.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
According to Rantanen's Twitter, the cost is a little under 10 million euros.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Interesting comment from Harkimo at YLE's site:

- Me päätämme sen jossain vaiheessa, että pelaammeko KHL:ää, se on suunnitelmissa ainakin. Lopullinen päätös tulee varmaan syksyllä, jokeriomistaja jatkoi.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Interesting comment from Harkimo at YLE's site:

Pure speculation, but my guess is that most of the compensation (or all of it?) will be paid if and when Jokerit leaves for the KHL. Now it's up to Hjallis to find the money and russians will propably offer some help.

Only sensible decision today. I don't think it was ever really an option to throw Jokerit out.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Only sensible decision today. I don't think it was ever really an option to throw Jokerit out.
Nobody's surprised. The league was flexing its pecs, but never intended to throw a punch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Seems there are still unresolved issues regarding Kummola's participation in the affair and the league wants to resolve issues with the federation.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It's unfortunate that the league doesn't have the power to fire Kummola. He'll have to be carried out from the federation in a body bag, and it's probably going to be a while until that happens.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
I know that everybody loves to diss Kummola and blame him on everything, but in this case how come no one is questioning the actions of J-P Vuorinen, the soon to be ex-managing director of SM-liiga, who certainly knew about the federation's (Kummola's) decision to give Jokerit a permit to join KHL. How is it Kummola's fault if SM-liiga doesn't know who can make decisions for them? How is it Kummola's fault if members of SM-liiga don't communicate with each other? And how is it Kummola's fault if other "players" are so incompetent that they let him walk all over them and then only cry about it afterwards?

I've heard many people say that Kummola didn't allow Blues to join KHL in 2011. WTH? Blues' KHL thing was completely unrealistic and did they even officially ask to leave? I can't remember exactly and I'm too lazy to find out but I'm pretty sure they did not. And SM-liiga (Vuorinen again) was against is just as much.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It's unfortunate that the league doesn't have the power to fire Kummola. He'll have to be carried out from the federation in a body bag, and it's probably going to be a while until that happens.

At least under Kummola's charge it's not that bad as it is in Javelin throw and the selection methods being unclear.. He just says how it is and then it is in many things.

Rigamidget

Jun 22, 2013
Since when discussing Jokerit leaving SM-Liiga there were a lot of mentions of lost rivalry, I tried to take a look at the financial side of it - the attendances of HIFK & Blues to estimate the loss in ticket sales; this is what I got:

HIFK - rival games avg attendance 8030, other games 7229
Blues - rival games avg attendance 6257, other games 4370

The question stands - the ticket prices are the same for rival and other games, or not? And how expensive are they approximately? Furthermore, HIFK games seem to be quite attended in general as well...

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
Last year HIFK-Jokerit tickets had 5,5 euros added in all categories (14-40€ vs. 19,5-45,5€).

Tickets against other interesting teams such as Blues and Kärpät were 3,5€ more expensive.

Blues-Jokerit (and Blues-HIFK) had 5 euros added in all categories (15-35€ vs. 20-40€).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Rotenberg said for SovSport something about Jokerit-HIFK games, winter classic if/when Jokerit joins KHL.

He said that especially HIFK was against Jokerit joining KHL because Jokerit will lose rival club, only games which are sold out. Dont know, but he said that only derbies are sold out in Finland.

"Therefore SM-Liiga wanted 5 milions euro?
Yes, but we immediately rejected it. We found solution which was acceptable for everyone. We will organise friendly games against HIFK, winter classic. That is dignified replacement of finnish derby games," Rotenberg said.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/629394

PS
Rotenberg said Jokerit will join for 200%, not only 100%

Any news from finnish sources?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->