Prospect Info: Filip Gustavsson (G)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Im interested to see how he responds after a bad game, he’s had his struggles getting back on track after a bad outing in the past. As you said his fundamentals are strong, his movements are small and precise, I don’t know that I’ve seen him overplay the puck since the call up, he is always square and he’s seeing the puck really well. I don’t know if this is where he establishes himself as a everyday NHLer but it’s giving people an idea of his upside.

As you said....square, doesn't over play, strong fundamentals

The other thing he's been really good at is casually reaching out with his paddle, pulling a puck to his trapper and getting a whistle. Guys need that. You're tired. Having your goalie bat the puck into the corner does jack when you're too gassed to go get it.

I've probably seen him casually take 10 whistles in 2 games doing that whereas I am used to seeing our guys bat the puck away and us continuing to chase

Reactions: aragorn

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Something I’ve noticed is he does an exceptional job of maintain position and swatting loose pucks that trickle to the front of the net from behind. My God do I cringe whenever I see a loose puck around side of the net with Murray or Andy but Gust easily bats it away and doesn’t give up ground on the post. Love it.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Probably no more NHL games for him this season if there are no injuries? (Forsberg, Hogberg, Murray)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree. I hope they expose Murray like they wanted to do with Phaneuf. Murray won’t get picked up so no point in protecting him.

I think they should be able to explain it without hurting anyone’s feelings. It’s like being able to protect an extra player after all.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
tenor.gif

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yup, we have to protect him.

Sounds like Seattle has their eye set on Drieger anyways as their starter. It doesn't make sense for them to take Murray, but it makes a ton of sense for them to take Gustavsson since he's waiver exempt and can play on their AHL team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Beauty about Gus is to me he is the 1st prospect we acquired when the rebuild started which was the Brassard trade. And to see him succeed
shows how far the rebuild has come. So great to see him playing so well

he seems like a great team player, very calm. I like his attitude - seems like a real pro

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Beauty about Gus is to me he is the 1st prospect we acquired when the rebuild started which was the Brassard trade. And to see him succeed
shows how far the rebuild has come. So great to see him playing so well

he seems like a great team player, very calm. I like his attitude - seems like a real pro
Got pretty concerned when I found out he has a numb catching hand thing.
Apparently it’s not a problem. As long as that’s true and they can deal with it (cure it ideally) then lots of confidence in this very young guy.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Gus has been awesome so far, very impressive. Hopefully he can continue his stellar play in to next year. I’d without a doubt protect him at this point.

Reactions: DrEasy

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Gus has been awesome so far, very impressive. Hopefully he can continue his stellar play in to next year. I’d without a doubt protect him at this point.
He's still a part of that bad zibby deal, should stick around

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can't tell if this guy is on a hot streak or if he's developing into a true #1 upper-echelon goaltender.

It just seems like everyone is picking up on the same things...his positioning and technique. The AHL is a pretty scrappy defensive style of game and goalies numbers aren't going to be great at times. But in the NHL, with more structure and skill, AHL goalies can look much better playing behind better defence.

I think he is the real deal

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All I know is no more Hog.

between Gus, Forsberg and Daccord I have no idea.

Gus & Daccord are younger than Forsberg, that should be enough to protect one of the younger goalies over the older goalie who has been a backup most of his career.

I’d let forsberg walk. Murray splits with Gus or Daccord next year. The other one plays in Belleville, and we still have Mando and Sogaard. Even if we lose one to expansion there’s still a lot of guys who will need playing time.

I think they let Hogberg walk & could re-sign Forsberg to be the vet backup next season although both Daccord & Gus have proven they can play in the NHL during a short sample size. We've had goalies go on good runs before & turned out not to be NHL ready the next yr. Seattle could also draft Forsberg rather than a young goalie too as a backup if they have Dreiger as an example as their #1 goalie target. There will also be a number of other good goalies available, an expansion team is going to need very good goaltending to be competitive in their first yr.

I assume they will protect Daccord,, but isn't Gus ineligible for the Seattle draft? If that is the case than Daccord & Gus could split time with Belleville next season & get called up as injury replacements. Sogaard & Mandolese likely play in the ECHL somewhere. They do seem to have a lot of goalies, but they went through 5 of them so far this yr, can never have enough apparently.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I assume they will protect Daccord,, but isn't Gus ineligible for the Seattle draft? If that is the case than Daccord & Gus could split time with Belleville next season & get called up as injury replacements. Sogaard & Mandolese likely play in the ECHL somewhere. They do seem to have a lot of goalies, but they went through 5 of them so far this yr, can never have enough apparently.

I believe Gus is eligible, just basing that off of capfriendly’s expansion draft tool.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe Gus is eligible, just basing that off of capfriendly’s expansion draft tool.
It's a tough call either way right, we could make an argument for both of them? I like both Daccord & Gus & maybe because Daccord got hurt he might get bypassed. but who knows. It won't be an easy decision & hopefully Murray doesn't take it personally that they are protecting one of their young guys rather than him.

Reactions: Smeddy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Keep him protected. He'll receive more injury call ups next year and be our back up the year after, and eventually in a 1a/1b situation

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think protecting Gus makes the most sense, Murray would be a risky pickup for Seattle having had a forgettable year with some injuries and a long term big money deal. Daccord also had some injuries which might get Seattle looking another direction, though he is waiver exempt so they might like him as a 3rd Goalie.

It is a tough call not to protect Murray though, just for the sake of players seeing us give up on a guy so quickly, might make it tougher to trade for or sign guys in the future

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think protecting Gus makes the most sense, Murray would be a risky pickup for Seattle having had a forgettable year with some injuries and a long term big money deal. Daccord also had some injuries which might get Seattle looking another direction, though he is waiver exempt so they might like him as a 3rd Goalie.

It is a tough call not to protect Murray though, just for the sake of players seeing us give up on a guy so quickly, might make it tougher to trade for or sign guys in the future
Can it really get much tougher than it already is though?

Reactions: Sweatred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad