Prospect Info: Filip Gustavsson (G)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Get to know your Ottawa Senators prospects: Filip Gustavsson

Still considered the top goalie prospect for the Ottawa Senators, Filip Gustavsson was originally selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2nd round (55th overall) in the 2016 NHL Draft.

At 6-foot-2, 185 pounds, Gustavsson has the size to compete in the NHL someday. He will likely see a lot more time in Belleville as the Sens management have very high hopes for the 21-year-old goaltender.
According to Dobber Prospects, Gustavsson has a 65% chance of becoming an NHL starter, which is the highest among Senators goaltending prospects.

Was at his first game! (sitting near the Mackay sign)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Might as well send him to the ECHL for top quality development

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Might as well send him to the ECHL for top quality development

Top quality development takes place in the AHL, not the ECHL. The ECHL is full of guys who will never make the show, whereas the AHL is as close to NHL style and quality of play as you'll find. The kid is 21 now, was a first round pick and was top goalie at the World Juniors two years ago. These next two years are about getting him ready to play in the NHL during year one of FYOUS.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like how we have a goalie depth problem and then you add one goalie and you have a goalie glut problem.

It's the only position quite like it.

Reminds me of the three-headed Anderson/Bishop/Lehner problem.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Having Gustavsson "split" with Hogberg until the deadline (and then take over once Andy is moved and Hog is called up) seems like a pretty ideal scenario honestly.

He just turned 21, so another 2 full seasons in the AHL (at minimum) seems like the right developmental path for him.
Even a guy as highly regarded as Schneider didn't break in as a backup until he was 24 and we'd all (I think) be thrilled if Gus turned into 80% of what Schneider was pre-injury.

Dobber having him as a 65% chance to become a STARTER seems really optimistic, but I'm always wary of anointing goalies.

Reactions: NB613

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Unless Andy has a lights out, bounceback season, I'm struggling to think of why a playoff team would see him as a viable option. He's 38, often injured, and his last significant stretch of solid play was in the 2017 playoffs. (I said stretch - I know he's had good games here and there since.) His numbers are trending in the wrong direction.

And, if all we get offered is a lousy 6th at the deadline, do you take it or do you let a great veteran finish out his last five weeks here out of respect for what he did for the club? I'm taking the latter option.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Unless Andy has a lights out, bounceback season, I'm struggling to think of why a playoff team would see him as a viable option. He's 38, often injured, and his last significant stretch of solid play was in the 2017 playoffs. (I said stretch - I know he's had good games here and there since.) His numbers are trending in the wrong direction.

And, if all we get offered is a lousy 6th at the deadline, do you take it or do you let a great veteran finish out his last five weeks here out of respect for what he did for the club? I'm taking the latter option.

I'm thinking you let Andy decide. Say Florida needs a backup for a playoff run, I'm sure he'd love to join them and take one last run instead of playing out the string with us.

Reactions: Icelevel

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Not too worried about Gust, 21 is very young for a goalie. But I’d like to see some more consistency this year down in the AHL.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Kind of a forgotten prospect, but we are pretty deep in goal right now. Good to hear he is playing well though:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
is there a chance that this guy gets the nod over Marcus Hogberg this year? Or is it better to have him develop as our No.1 in Bellevile?
He's on the final year of his contract and is expansion draft eligible

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
is there a chance that this guy gets the nod over Marcus Hogberg this year? Or is it better to have him develop as our No.1 in Bellevile?

Definitely in his best interest to be the number 1 in Belleville. I think Daccord might push him for that spot though. I think he's got legit NHL potential.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Double post.

73Xf.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->