Prospect Info: Filip Gustavsson (G)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think protecting Gus makes the most sense, Murray would be a risky pickup for Seattle having had a forgettable year with some injuries and a long term big money deal. Daccord also had some injuries which might get Seattle looking another direction, though he is waiver exempt so they might like him as a 3rd Goalie.

It is a tough call not to protect Murray though, just for the sake of players seeing us give up on a guy so quickly, might make it tougher to trade for or sign guys in the future

It’s connected to expansion - lots of similar contracts - when’s the next expansion draft ? And who says he wouldn’t prefer Seattle ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It’s connected to expansion - lots of similar contracts - when’s the next expansion draft ? And who says he wouldn’t prefer Seattle ?
Sure, he might prefer Seattle, but these guys have egos and nobody likes finding out their team doesn't value them. Phaneuf refused to waive his NMC, until he shows otherwise I wouldn't assume Murray would rather be in Seattle.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
We signed Dadonov and Zub recently, Zaitsev waived his NTC to come here, so sure, never say it can't get worse because it inevitably will.

I get this mentality but I think the majority of NHL players want to play on a winning team. Seeing us make bad moves that hurt our future might be just as problematic in the eyes of those players.

I say make the moves that will make you successful on the ice and the rest will start to fall in place.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sure, he might prefer Seattle, but these guys have egos and nobody likes finding out their team doesn't value them. Phaneuf refused to waive his NMC, until he shows otherwise I wouldn't assume Murray would rather be in Seattle.

Who knows ... he didn’t force a NTC which would have protected him against that reality. He could of traded a NTC benefit for less term or AAV if it was more important than cash to him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Who knows ... he didn’t force a NTC which would have protected him against that reality. He could of traded a NTC benefit for less term or AAV if it was more important than cash to him.
Murray has a NTC in every year he was eligible for one. Are you thinking a NMC? Hard to imagine he was in any position to demand a full NMC.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get this mentality but I think the majority of NHL players want to play on a winning team. Seeing us make bad moves that hurt our future might be just as problematic in the eyes of those players.

I say make the moves that will make you successful on the ice and the rest will start to fall in place.
Do you think players will see exposing a two time SC champ in favour of an unproven rookie as good or bad? I don't think players will immediately jump to the conclusion that protecting Murray is a bad move that hurts our future, he's 26 afterall.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think that if they want to expose Murray in order to gain “an extra protection spot”, they need to have a discussion with him, and perhaps his agent first to make sure that they let them know that they are wanted here.

If done right it could be conveyed that they are simply trying to leverage the situation to best suit the team and the players, like they tried to do with Phaneuf.

I personally think that we need Murray going forward for a while. We have Foresberg and D’accord and Gus, with Gus still being very young.

We need stability in net next season, and we have seen how important steady goaltending is , and we need it to start the year next season.

Just my opinion, but Murray was playing great hockey when he went down, and we need his veteran experience and talent on our team right now.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Murray has a NTC in every year he was eligible for one. Are you thinking a NMC? Hard to imagine he was in any position to demand a full NMC.

Ya - sorry. I assume there would have been a trade off point that PD would have gladly “sold” a no movement to protect Murray at least through the expansion draft. My point is Murray preferred the $$$ over that price of that NMC.

Murray willingly signed a contact knowing he could be moved to Seattle. It’s a reality he already acknowledged and accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Murray received a handsome contract given his run of play over the past two seasons, to the point where he's likely un-selectable by the Kraken.

I don't think you have to apologize for making the shrewdest move when it comes to protecting the roster.

That's why you have a coach that is different from the GM.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya - sorry. I assume there would have been a trade off point that PD would have gladly “sold” a no movement to protect Murray at least through the expansion draft. My point is Murray preferred the $$$ over that price of that NMC.

Murray willingly signed a contact knowing he could be moved to Seattle. It’s a reality he already acknowledged and accepted.
Sure, everybody has a price, I just think a NMC tends to cost a lot, I think saying he could have just held out for one if he didn't want to end up in Seattle is a bit like saying why didn't we just sign that high profile UFA or trade for that great player. It takes two to agree and Murray frankly lacked the leverage to be making demands.

There really hasn't been any indication he'd rather be in Seattle, him not demanding a full NMC isn't really evidence, heck even if he had demanded a full NMC and managed to get it, it wouldn't kick in until 28 July 2021 so it would be week too late, he wasn't eligible for a NMC this year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It is a tough call not to protect Murray though, just for the sake of players seeing us give up on a guy so quickly, might make it tougher to trade for or sign guys in the future

I don't think it signals giving up on him at all - it shows that GMPD is reading the situation and that currently Murray's contract is in the upper tier for goalies while also seeing the numbers he has put up (and the risk of his current injury and injury history) reflect a very risky pick from the Kraken.

If he chooses to expose both of our young goalies GMPD has make a massive mistake IMO.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Do you think players will see exposing a two time SC champ in favour of an unproven rookie as good or bad? I don't think players will immediately jump to the conclusion that protecting Murray is a bad move that hurts our future, he's 26 afterall.

That's possible. But if we manage to keep both that's a plus. I don't think Seatlle will take Murray if he's exposed. And if they do, then you can overpay any FA (like we did with Murray) and the whole point is moot. :D

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I love Swedish honesty. So to the point lol

This one is good also lol. I assume they meant 'yard'.

Yeah the Scandinavians come off as extremely blunt. Work with them quite a bit and it’s pretty funny but I can see some other people being maybe offended. Totally different ways of speaking the English language

Reactions: K1900L and cudi

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah the Scandinavians come off as extremely blunt. Work with them quite a bit and it’s pretty funny but I can see some other people being maybe offended. Totally different ways of speaking the English language
Reminds me of when Alfie said we wouldn't come back in that playoff series.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

I'm not sure what people are on about, because I've only read this page tonight. But for sure we protect Murray. If it is an argument between Gus and Daccord? I choose Gus, because he has more pedigree than Daccord. I'm not sure why people would want to protect Daccord over Murray. It is absolutely insane talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad