Prospect Info: Filip Gustavsson (G)

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I'm not sure what people are on about, because I've only read this page tonight. But for sure we protect Murray. If it is an argument between Gus and Daccord? I choose Gus, because he has more pedigree than Daccord. I'm not sure why people would want to protect Daccord over Murray. It is absolutely insane talk.

The issue is we can only protect one goalie. Though I think there are a number of goalies out there that Seattle could chose it is also possible a third party interested in Gus could give Seattle a pick to select and trade for him. Because we can only pick one of the four goaltenders we have signed for next season to protect im inclined to protect Gus at this point.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm not sure what people are on about, because I've only read this page tonight. But for sure we protect Murray. If it is an argument between Gus and Daccord? I choose Gus, because he has more pedigree than Daccord. I'm not sure why people would want to protect Daccord over Murray. It is absolutely insane talk.
Unless you believe Murray won't be taken due to his contract and highly circumspect play early this season. Or if you consider that we're super flush in net, but only Murray is making serious coin.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The issue is we can only protect one goalie. Though I think there are a number of goalies out there that Seattle could chose it is also possible a third party interested in Gus could give Seattle a pick to select and trade for him. Because we can only pick one of the four goaltenders we have signed for next season to protect im inclined to protect Gus at this point.

I am not really sure if it is a debate between Murray and Gus. I want to keep Gus, but Murray is a two time Stanley Cup winner.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Seattle has a lot of goalie options

I'd protect Gus. He's got the pedigree but apart from that, he's looked better than any other guy. Something he does very well is corral and freeze pucks when we're running around. Last night I saw Forsberg bat 3 pucks back into play that i feel Gus would have corralled.

If we lose Murray, that's a hit, no doubt about it. We need 915 Murray as a starter and the confidence of playing in front of a cup winner

But i somehow feel Gus has a "lightning in a bottle" quality about him and he's just coming into his own

Reactions: swiftwin and Hutz

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With Daccord injured, the choice who to protect becomes pretty clear. Gus has played well this year, and would be the likelier of the two to get claimed if exposed. I don't think Seattle would be crazy enough to take on Murray's contract.

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
highly circumspect play early this season.
3863857212_4e46a43d0a.jpg

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You mean daccord over gus? Why would we ever protect Murray

Reactions: Hutz

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I've said before Seattle will for sure take the young goalie that we expose (Gus vs Daccord)...but I have a feeling they may not have enough viewings of Daccord to warrant taking him.

They will also have a good selection of goalies around the league; at least enough for a starter/backup. Unless they plan on sticking Daccord in the NHL, they might just try and grab an actual NHLer like Tierney instead.

Reactions: DrEasy

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Gustavsson has a typical developmental curve for a goalie. High pedigree and draft position, great in junior / World Jrs. Struggled and inconsistent his 1st pro years. This year I can see why he was such a high pick, quick like MA Fleury, clearly a high end talent, he's learned better technique, settling into his game, confident. No guarantee he becomes a star or good #1, but you don't let high end talents go.

I think Daccord is overrated because of his story and personality. He's a decent prospect, and could become a top end goalie, but less likely as his talent level isn't near Gus. Plus he's 2 years older. If he's exposed in the expansion draft, I highly doubt he's even selected.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I've said before Seattle will for sure take the young goalie that we expose (Gus vs Daccord)...but I have a feeling they may not have enough viewings of Daccord to warrant taking him.

Ron Francis has been preparing for the expansion draft for 2 years. There's no way that he's not very knowledgeable about every prospect on every team.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
There's no way they take daccord, they have not seen enough of him plus now with injuries being uncertain and probably even more hidden, it doesn't make sense for them.

From an asset management perspective, they're better off taking Tierney, giving him some top 6 minutes and selling him for a second round pick at some point in the season. Daccord isn't worth a second right now.

Even though he might have the most trade value of anyone we leave unprotected, I'd be elated if it's Tierney that gets chosen, I really want that spot open for anyone next year and I hate Tierney.

Reactions: Hutz

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
They should protect Gus, but they're going to protect Murray. Might as well prepare ourselves now.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
They should protect Gus, but they're going to protect Murray. Might as well prepare ourselves now.

It we lose Gus is will be a mistake that could have been prevented. I’m hopeful that since GUS is linked to the MD trade he may protect him.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this stage .. I think they protect Gus.. I think the decision is more Gus or Daccord.. but will got to Gus.. Murray gets exposed because of 2 things combined .. Poor play and over payment.. Good risk for the Sens. The only thing that would change that is Dorion's ego , saving face for the contract. He has a few of those to deal with but has to be able to make clean slate decisions for the present and the future.

Reactions: Icelevel

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Murray is the 7th highest paid goalie in the league.

I think that's why leaving him unprotected is fine.

Two concerns I have:

- Not really a fan with going with Forsberg as our veteran goalie into the season if Seattle picks Murray
- Murray's confidence getting shattered if left exposed. I hate that I have to think about it but he seems fragile at the mental level right now

If we expose him and he gets picked and our goalies flounder last year, it will look pretty bad (especially if Murray plays well for Seattle if picked).

Ideally we protect Gus, he seems to have the highest ceiling of our young goalies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ask yourself, which of Murray, Gus or Daccord would you miss the most, if whomever is lost in the expansion draft, is playing well in two or three years?

with style of play the Senators now employ, the team can withstand the loss of Murray…. Which, if exposed, is highly unlikely to be selected given a number of factors…. Injury history, current contract and sporadic play this season.

Gus has shown he can play at this level, and is only going to improve as the team matures…. He would be the biggest loss of the three we’re debating.

don’t think Daccord is high on the Kraken’s radar screen, as he’s only played a handful on NHL games….. sure he may develop into a decent NHL goaltender, but to the same level I see Gus achieving.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
The problem not just the Kraken we have to think . Another team can said to Francis to take a player for a future trade

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It we lose Gus is will be a mistake that could have been prevented. I’m hopeful that since GUS is linked to the MD trade he may protect him.
MD trade? First, why would that change the likelihood he gets protected?

Second, we acquired him from the Brassard trade to Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Sweatred

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Two concerns I have:

- Not really a fan with going with Forsberg as our veteran goalie into the season if Seattle picks Murray
- Murray's confidence getting shattered if left exposed. I hate that I have to think about it but he seems fragile at the mental level right now

If we expose him and he gets picked and our goalies flounder last year, it will look pretty bad (especially if Murray plays well for Seattle if picked).

Ideally we protect Gus, he seems to have the highest ceiling of our young goalies.

If he's mentally that fragile I don't want him around anyway.

But something tells me he probably won't care.

If he does get picked up, then that's a lot of money off the books which I'm sure can be used elsewhere.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The problem not just the Kraken we have to think . Another team can said to Francis to take a player for a future trade

^^This^^ I don’t know every goalies org depth but I find it hard to believe that GUS wouldn’t be a nice AHL piece for 10+ teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad