TSN: Feschuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttica

Nov 30, 2012
I don't know what your issues with Kessel is, he's always open to the media and the public whenever we need him, he's not like one of those players that keeps to himself and that doesn't care what the media or the public thinks of himself.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I don't blame the media for pushing the players for more candid answers because most of the time they just give the generic proper answer they've been trained to give, that has no meaning. The media is basically forced to push these guys to get a real response out of these guys if they gave more candid answers all the time they probably wouldn't need to do some of the stuff they do.

For example the time the reporter went to Reimers mom, if the leafs organization just gave the media a straight answer they wouldn't have needed to go to his mom.

Players do that because if they are candid, reporters usually take parts or bits of it and use it to put a negative spin on it to create controversy and or sell papers.

Players understand and know who those guys in the media are and don't trust them so they get the canned responses.

The responsible journalists will get more open comments from players as they know what they said and their meaning will be reported as such and not spun to create something out of nothing.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I don't know what your issues with Kessel is, he's always open to the media and the public whenever we need him, he's not like one of those players that keeps to himself and that doesn't care what the media or the public thinks of himself.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.

He's absolutely not always open to the media. Just the other day he flubbed off an interview - you can hear him say "get away from me".

Whether he was justified in saying so or not is irrelevant to the point that he's not always open to the media.

he's not contractually obligated to talk; but if I were hauling 7 sheets a year, I'd make it part of accountability to answer non-personal questions.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Yeah, you're confusing improper (stupid) with okay-to-do (journalistic rights).

He has the right to ask any question he needs to ask to piece together a story. Just like any other reporter.

You're assuming there's off limit questions in scrums? There are limits, but those are self imposed.

It's a dumb question because Phil can answer it only in one way; but the point of the question wasn't the answer; it was because it needed to be asked as part of the broader story: are players the cause of coaching releases? In this case, was it Phil.

You're treating this too literally. Even if Feschuck was dumb enough to think that Phil was going to answer "yes, I'm the cause of the firing" then atleast he got the answer he wanted for the story. Otherwise, it was just Feschuck sniffing out the news.

Relax. It's his job to ask questions and no on-ice question is unreasonable when you're a Leaf.

he wasnt trying to piece together any story, he was looking for a reaction, and likely was disappointed that he didnt get a bigger negative reaction.
I was actually shocked when Kessel stood up for himself for a few seconds there before he turned away.
Feschuck has his story written without opening his mouth, no matter what Kessel did/said would have changed his opinion

I looked up a few of his previous articles about Kessel and they are all negative, and all his quotes are from unnamed sources. (an nhl executive, a former player who just happened to be next to Kessel and the coach while they discuss new ideas, ...maybe the zamboni driver, or a hot dog vendor etc)

I trust Feschuck's sources as much as this guys

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
how do you think Phaneuf would have handled the question? ...or Lupul, or Reimer? ...do you really think they would have handled it better as they have had as much or a greater impact to the teams recent failures.

I wouldnt have remained as polite as Kessel did.

I think they wouldn't have called the reporter an idiot and thrown a hissy fit...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's not that difficult of a defense to mount.

He's allowed to ask questions in media scrum particularly when the question is related to non-personal events that took place within the organization.

Setting limits on what to ask / what not to ask when seeking the truth is dangerous for anyone especially the journalism community.

I don't think anyone in this thread is challenging the idea of free speech - the point is that Feschuk wasnt seeking any particular truth, rather that he was being incredibly opportunistic and self serving as opposed to having even a shred of journalistic integrity.

He has the freedom to ask anything he wants, but that doesn't make them good or even appropriate questions.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
he wasnt trying to piece together any story, he was looking for a reaction, and likely was disappointed that he didnt get a bigger negative reaction.
I was actually shocked when Kessel stood up for himself for a few seconds there before he turned away.
Feschuck has his story written without opening his mouth, no matter what Kessel did/said would have changed his opinion

I looked up a few of his previous articles about Kessel and they are all negative, and all his quotes are from unnamed sources. (an nhl executive, a former player who just happened to be next to Kessel and the coach while they discuss new ideas, ...maybe the zamboni driver, or a hot dog vendor etc)

He was trying to piece together the story - coach was fired; Water's implied that Phil refused a coaching assignment; Ronny implied that Phil was difficult to coach; So, he asked Phil an admittedly stupid question.

Why didn't Feschuck ask anyone else? It's not because he believes they'd give an honest, yes. He cares more about asking the question then the obvious answer....

The story isn't the answer. The story is the question itself and why it was Phil that was asked of it.....

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
the point is that Feschuk wasnt seeking any particular truth

He's not seeking the answer (the truth).

No one, and I mean no one on this planet including Feschuck himself, was expecting Phil to answer yes.

He was asking for the sake of the question - it had to be asked. No one cares about the obligatory answer Phil gave - everyone knew he would say no.

After the coach was fired, a hockey analyst suggests that Phil shrugged off on-ice coaching assignments and a previous coach implied that Phil was un-coachable? He'd likely be fired if he didn't ask the question.

The point is that he's supposed to ask.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
no COACH has ever called him "uncoachable" ever! ...that is merely some peoples interpretation of what was actually said.

He didnt lash out, he made an offhanded comment, and was more polite than most people would have been in the same situation.

It's a stupid question from a reporter that has a history of attacking Kessel in his articles.

no you're right, Wilson gave a glowing review of Kessel on Leafs Lunch

And I suppose the stories of Kessel flat out refusing to try different things on the ice to help out the team are completely false.

Oh and I assume that Boston trading him was because Julien thought he was an integral asset to a Cup run. OHHHH and I'm sure Aaron Ward made up playing with him for years and backing up Wilson's assessment was also part of the larger media scheme to paint Kessel as uncoachable when he's really a great team player.

But yeah, baseless question that was. Baseless I tell ya!

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
It's news that the Toronto media is abusive to Leaf players?

Just skip the guy's article next time if you don't like him - not much to see here; even less to act on.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
He was trying to piece together the story - coach was fired; Water's implied that Phil refused a coaching assignment; Ronny implied that Phil was difficult to coach; So, he asked Phil an admittedly stupid question.

Why didn't Feschuck ask anyone else? It's not because he believes they'd give an honest, yes. He cares more about asking the question then the obvious answer....

The story isn't the answer. The story is the question itself and why it was Phil that was asked of it.....

The Water's part bothers me ...he was let go ages ago, and has as much access to the Leafs meetings, or dressing room, as you or I ...none.
he also has been bitter towards the leafs since he was let go, so, i would trust a word he says. ...he also reported done deals for the Leafs for Zetterberg, and a goalie who had actually retired (cant remember the name offhand)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

i don't think you understand how reporting works.

a reporter will have no sources if they go "milan lucic told me that Phil was a nightmare in the room, and put himself above the team".

The nature of the beast is is going to be unnamed sources. If the sources are out to lunch then you won't have similar stories dating the same thing.

In this case Kessel being uncoachable has been reiterated by different sources in different stories. You can ride his jock all you want, but he's clearly a problem. Is it worth getting rid of him? I don't know, but this isn't a reporter just making up a story. Especially when his former COACH is basically saying the same thing a few minutes earlier.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The Water's part bothers me ...he was let go ages ago, and has as much access to the Leafs meetings, or dressing room, as you or I ...none.
he also has been bitter towards the leafs since he was let go, so, i would trust a word he says. ...he also reported done deals for the Leafs for Zetterberg, and a goalie who had actually retired (cant remember the name offhand)

So in your world Bill Watters has ZERO connections to the Leafs organization? Really? Really? You're going with ZERO?

Amazing

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

What Water's said is out there, Feschuck's just following up on the story.

You're confusing Feschuck's with Nellie Bly. He's not doing investigative journalism; he's reporting on sensationalistic leaf news.

The question to player that everyone's talking about being the cause of the coach being let go is admittedly sensationalistic.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Our poor baby....Poor Punxsutawney Phil....our poor Mr slide and Glide....the big bad media is being mean to him again.

My god there would be no question if Phil was a player that would listen.....

Did anyone really need to hear it from a former Coach that he is not coachable? Or do you believe that Carlyle has ask Kessel to play like a chicken poop player who need not play half the game....the part that keeps goals out of your net?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
no you're right, Wilson gave a glowing review of Kessel on Leafs Lunch

And I suppose the stories of Kessel flat out refusing to try different things on the ice to help out the team are completely false.

Oh and I assume that Boston trading him was because Julien thought he was an integral asset to a Cup run. OHHHH and I'm sure Aaron Ward made up playing with him for years and backing up Wilson's assessment was also part of the larger media scheme to paint Kessel as uncoachable when he's really a great team player.

But yeah, baseless question that was. Baseless I tell ya!

he did today actually ...earlier this morning. (on Brady and Walker)

Boston also ran Seguin out of town, haven't heard him being uncoach-able in Dallas
...with Boston, it was Kessel's expected salary increase as much as anything

Da Murf

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary AB
Feschuk went out of his way to attack Kessel. He repeated the same question twice so even though he had a whole 4 hours to prep a question that was what he thought would be the best way to make sure his name got out there.

Should the story of been how Randy through ice time in minny, and comments on sunday towards mgt got his term ended fast than the leafs wanted to? or maybe that the leafs really arent that good? or maybe that Canada won gold the night before.. won;t matter because the have the perfect villian in Kessel. he is Lazy, selfish, childish, unable to learn, un-coachable and you can't win with him. However the most shocking part is they leave out Cancer Survivor, PPG (almost) in playoffs when the games matter most, and often plays through injuries. Those facts would say heart and toughness but that doesn't sell papers so if the the local media were to be believed you'd be better off to put kessel on waivers and get a 200 ft winger in his place say Winnick to be a top line forward.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.

He's absolutely not always open to the media. Just the other day he flubbed off an interview - you can hear him say "get away from me".

Whether he was justified in saying so or not is irrelevant to the point that he's not always open to the media.

he's not contractually obligated to talk; but if I were hauling 7 sheets a year, I'd make it part of accountability to answer non-personal questions.

Yeah let's crucify the guy for being uncomfortable with an overbearing Toronto media. Some people man...

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
he did today actually ...earlier this morning. (on Brady and Walker)

Boston also ran Seguin out of town, haven't heard him being uncoach-able in Dallas
...with Boston, it was Kessel's expected salary increase as much as anything

He was a 21 yr old that wanted 5.4 million. That's not a problem. The problem was Boston felt his overall game was not worth $5 million. They won a Cup after they got rid of him.

Seguin is another story. i believe his issues were more off ice. perhaps he's changed his ways. Phil is still terrible in the areas that he had deficiencies. and he will never change.

Kessley Snipes*

It's really fascinating how much credence some posters here have given to a bitter ex-coach who cannot get another job and a hack reporter who is one step above working for Sun News Media.

No wonder click-bait tabloids are favoured over professional journalism these days.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think they wouldn't have called the reporter an idiot and thrown a hissy fit...

Give me a break man. First of all hissy fit is a little bit of a stretch. Actually a lot of a stretch.

Secondly what kind of question is "are you hard to work with?" It's a loaded and biased question with the guy asking it only wanting a reaction. It's bad journalism honestly.

But yes, Kessel is an awful human being, let's crucify him for standing up for himself with a reporter asking a completely dumb question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad