TSN: Feschuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kessley Snipes*

"Yeah we need to show we're a team and all be accountable for Randy's dismissal".

Is this the answer you're looking for ? because he's a common response to your question and I'll bet Phil would rather give this one than the one he gave.

How about, "Phil, what was it about Randy's/Ron's system or style that makes it seem like you two were not on the same page?"

You can spin this all you want, but the point is Feschuck asked a dumb question and Phil gave an appropriate answer.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
No. Not at all

Theres a reason lots of people have a problem with it. It's about picking your spots. He picked wrong.

He's in the locker room daily. He could ask that any time.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Journalist generally won't wait to get a story when they're standing in the room with the article himself.

I think you're taking this to a personal level. Calling anyone a POS is unnecessary; the guy's doing his job.

The article wasn't Phil. It was about Carlyle being fired. If you can't see the problem with it. No point further discussing

JBSpeed

Jan 22, 2010
Windsor, ON
I think you're taking this to a personal level. Calling anyone a POS is unnecessary; the guy's doing his job.
Example of Feschuk doing his job:

Can the Leafs win anything of significance if their pudgy designated goal scorer happily sports multiple chins in a league dominated by gluten-free, goji-berry-favouring fitness nuts?

Yup. Totally professional, not personal, doing his job...:shakehead

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He's not obligated to wait till Phil has adjusted and become acclimatized to the situation.

I don't know if it's mean or whatever to ask him such a direct question so soon after it's happened. But he's a big boy and he'll have to understand that media reporters don't really care about his feelings?

You are so pro media in Toronto, why?

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
How about, "Phil, what was it about Randy's/Ron's system or style that makes it seem like you two were not on the same page?"

You can spin this all you want, but the point is Feschuck asked a dumb question and Phil gave an appropriate answer.

I don't have to spin it anyway I want.

We're talking about the question itself. Phil's answer may have been appropriate but no one is/was expecting any other answer.

It's not a dumb question when it gets the answer it's asking for rather than a spun answer.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

"Phil, you clashed with Julien and did not like his system in Boston and you ended up here in Toronto where you clashed with Wilson because you did not like his system. Now Carlyle has just been fired for the teams poor play even do you guys are still in a play off spot and you did not seem to like or buy in to the system Carlyle implemented either. So my question to you is, are you a hard player to coach?"

That how he should have asked him the question but I guess he decided to not lead with a lay up but cut the the point and ask the question of wetter or not Kessel is a difficult player to coach.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Example of Feschuk doing his job:

Yup. Totally professional, not personal, doing his job...:shakehead

I never said he was professional. But asking questions is part of his job.

Actually, I was referring to you taking this to a personal level.

Last edited:

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
The Kessel question was really framed in the context of Ron Wilson's comments. Comments I doubt he had even heard at the point of the interview.

Without hearing those Wilson comments, the question about being coachable seems a lot more ridiculous than if you had heard the context first and expected the questions.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
You are so pro media in Toronto, why?

It's not pro media so much as it's dissecting the question and the person being questioned.

And there's nothing wrong with being pro media. Some people think the media is doing okay... I don't care one way or the other.

Sometimes the articles are worth reading, sometimes not for many reasons. I choose to believe that the media in Toronto are doing their job because of the interest that's generated from the team / sport.

I believe that the volume of media generated is proportional to the interest of the readers. If there were less interest, both quality and quantity of the media would change.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Feschuk's goal was to light a fire under Kessel's butt because of his recent play then this might just have done that by antagonizing him.

Feschuck poking the Bear might be Leafs Nation gain in the big picture of making Kessel angry.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
It's not pro media so much as it's dissecting the question and the person being questioned.

And there's nothing wrong with being pro media. Some people think the media is doing okay... I don't care one way or the other.

Sometimes the articles are worth reading, sometimes not for many reasons. I choose to believe that the media in Toronto are doing their job because of the interest that's generated from the team / sport.

I believe that the volume of media generated is proportional to the interest of the readers. If there were less interest, both quality and quantity of the media would change.

That's all I needed to hear, thanks.

Feb 24, 2004

Of course the media levels are what they are in Toronto to satisfy the demand from the public. All that means though, is journalists/reporters have to be even more judicious in the stories that they report and the questions that they ask.

Pretend that all the past items regarding Feschuk didn't exist: If you really thought Feschuk was doing his job by asking that to Kessel, where were all those hard-hitting questions to Carlyle during the past two years? Or to Nonis during the press conferences?

Hell, he could have asked Nonis yesterday "how can you change the core when you have capped out the team through terrible contracts?", and that would have been far more legitimate.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Feschuk's goal was to light a fire under Kessel's butt because of his recent play then this might just have done that by antagonizing him.

Feschuck poking the Bear might be Leafs Nation gain in the big picture of making Kessel angry.

Well, Kessel can get angry and go into beast mode and re-commit to fixing his flaws, or he melts down and proves he isn't suitable to be a Leaf.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Of course he's not. But that's the difference between a considerate human vs a self serving POS

Get out of here....he could not wait to attend the wake of the firing of a coach he refused to listen to.

Then only to find out it was not a wake but he was going to be ask his part of accountability.....the POS by the way is the player who refuses to do as asked!

Kessley Snipes*

Well, Kessel can get angry and go into beast mode and re-commit to fixing his flaws, or he melts down and proves he isn't suitable to be a Leaf.

How did he react to be picked last in that fantasy draft?

Pretty sure he was named Top forward in Sochi and selected to the all star team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kessel's recent play (along with his teammates) looked they wanted to get the coach fired by being uncoachable and not following the system.

If he goes into beast mode to prove Feschuck wrong then its Leaf nation gain.

Perhaps Horachek will realize to get Kessel going you need to push the right buttons as Feschuk did.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Feschuck is a ****. It's basically vulture reporting and it sickens me. I hope they ban him from the locker room.

You can't ban the media for asking a question.

The bulk of the Toronto media has been on the **** list for one reason or another. If you don't want them getting in your kitchen, give max effort and win some games.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Ah yes...Feschuk's source is a bitter former Leafs coach who hasn't coached anywhere else since.

How do you know he is bitter? He did not sound bitter and he even admitted he was not the man for the job, said only a few have the balls to come to Toronto and do what is needed with this team. That does not sound bitter at all but is an honest opinion from a man who once had the job.

According to the Kessel fans there is not truth in anything negative said about Phil. That Phil is one of few players who have constantly been talked about in this negative manner is, according to the Kessel fans, because he is a Leaf player. Even do the talk abut Phil started years before he ended up in Toronto.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
How do you know he is bitter? He did not sound bitter and he even admitted he was not the man for the job, said only a few have the balls to come to Toronto and do what is needed with this team. That does not sound bitter at all but is an honest opinion from a man who once had the job.

According to the Kessel fans there is not truth in anything negative said about Phil. That Phil is one of few players who have constantly been talked about in this negative manner is, according to the Kessel fans, because he is a Leaf player. Even do the talk abut Phil started years before he ended up in Toronto.

What are the sources of the negative comments? An ex-coach who hasn't coched since being fired by the Leafs. An ex-executive (Watters) that wasn't even around the organization when Phill came in, and a third party observer from a coache's seminar where Spott supposedly said something about Kessel not liking his suggestions. Really strong sources there eh?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do think what Wilson said is probably true. Kessel does give off that moody, disconnected, hard to coach vibe.

With that being said, Feschuk was being very disrespectful here, and definitely a vulture. I don't think Kessel's response was too bad, and I do think it was justified. Feschuk was going for the tabloid, paparazzi style of "journalism" here, which I feel is a very negative trend among sports media.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
What are the sources of the negative comments? An ex-coach who hasn't coched since being fired by the Leafs. An ex-executive (Watters) that wasn't even around the organization when Phill came in, and a third party observer from a coache's seminar where Spott supposedly said something about Kessel not liking his suggestions. Really strong sources there eh?

Are you suggesting that he ignore the comments/stories then?

He could have done some investigative reporting and dug a bit deeper, but they're comments made about an impression from a personal standpoint. There's no much factual checking he could have done to validate the story.....

I think the source is legit and the motivation to say what they said might be skew but that's what Feschuck was going on.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

It started already before the draft with the comments from Jack Johnson and Jack Skille combined with his poor performance from the combine (tests and interviews). Then he clashed with his coach in Boston, Chara is quoted saying they tried their hardest to include Kessel and get him to work harder but they failed. Recchi said he wanted to resign with Boston because 99% of the players in that room really wanted to win, at the time every one knew the 1% who did not care for winning was Kessel. There is a lot of stuff about Kessels attitude and lack of compete that predates him ending up in Toronto. That the rumours and drama around him continued here should really not be a surprise. Phil is a controversial athlete with the way he acts and the character or lack there of he have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad